Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Darkside: What bike for winter – with mudguard fittings?
  • atparry

Am thinking of purchasing a road bike for riding through the winter. For practicality I think I should fit mudguards.

What are your recomendations/experiences????

Ta
    A

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

New I'd look at a Planet-X kaffenback and SKS chromoplastics

2nd hand I'd look for something like a dawes galaxy, although IMO its a fugly bike so I'd look even older at somethign steel and lugged.

Mister-P
    Free Member

Genesis Equilibrium 😀

JonEdwards
    Free Member

Anything that takes Crud race guards. Been using them on my zero clearance fixie for the last year and they work really well. Don't need mudguard eyes or anything like that.

cycleworlduk
    Free Member

id second the equilibrium…one came in the other day and it looked really good.

we do a special build called the inverno with full 105/carbon fork/deda finishing kit/alloy frame made by dolan…good value at a grand

or weve sold 3 kinesis bikes so far all under £1k they looked really smart..

then you get into all the cross bikes that you can easily convert…

cotic roadrat is pretty cool..the list is exhaustive!

firestarter
    Free Member

my winter roadbike – sabbath september (actually its my all year round posh one tbh) 😉

dufresneorama
    Free Member
    schmiken

I've got a Kinesis Racelight T, quite racey though, but great if you want to mimic the position of your road (race) bike.

aP
    Free Member

On an impulse I bought a Trek Portland just after Christmas last year to stop me from ruining my 853 featch mudguard bike.
    The Portland has been OK with nice big mudguards and a solid rack.

Mister-P
    Free Member

On a slightly less biased note what kind of money are you thinking? There are loads of options out there and as JonEdwards says you could stick Crud racer guards on pretty much any road bike.

oldgit
    Free Member

Nice old secondhand bike like a Holdsworth off of ebay, just throwing the old retro option in.

GZA
    Free Member

Kinesis Racelight Tk – fantastic ride, even with mudguards on. I'm always surprised how good it is when I ride it – can't say that for many bikes!

big_n_daft
    Free Member

http://www.roadcyclinguk.com/gear-news/tifosi-ck7-classic/4612.html

far better than a Kaffenback

plenty of deals around

druidh
    Free Member

If I didn't already have a suitable bike I would be looking at the new Ragley.

uponthedowns
    Free Member

2nd GZA's recommendation of a Racelight Tk. I use mine for everything from commuting to sportives. Its a race bike but takes full guards and also has rack fittings. As GZA said it rides really well- better than a Scott Addict and Bianchi Infinito I recently tested.

Ed2001
    Free Member

Loads of options around but I would put the kinesis at the top of my list.Good quality frame with a nice finish.

Flash
    Free Member

A word of warning, and speaking from experience a MTB is better than a road bike (with or without mudguards)in five inches of snow.

On an even more useful nots the Crud Catcher Road 'guards don't need any braze-ons

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘Darkside: What bike for winter – with mudguard fittings?’ is closed to new replies.