Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • Darkside what are Planet X road bikes like??
  • fatsimonmk2
    Free Member

On the verge of pushing the button on a Planet X pro carbon the reviews I’ve found are all fairly positive but thought I would ask here before hand as I know I’ll get some different/honest opinions

shermer75
    Free Member

lunge

The pro carbon is an old and solid, if not overly spectacular design. Nothing revolutionary but not a bad bike either.

PX in general attract mixed reviews, my experiences have always been positive, others less so.

YoKaiser
    Free Member

I have one. I have been more than happy with mine, it built up light and comfortable and has been trouble free. I think you will see a few posts saying its rubbish and cheap carbon is not worth the time but I can’t complain. Its not the stiffest but one mans noodly is another comfort and wotnot. I do have a slight love hate relationship with it. I’ve never been 100% happy with the looks and I’ve wanted to swap it many times but I keep reminding myself that I still enjoy riding it and it fits me well.

YoKaiser
    Free Member

Actually the new orange one with the white panel does look nice.

scaredypants

They’re OK IMO/E – had 2 pro-carbon, one large one XL. SHould’ve kept the large really, XL will be flogged sometime soon as I’ve replaced it with a different frame now, mostly because of the size (and the ded cheap scott deals that went arounbd a couple of years ago)

Some say they’re flexy but I can’t say I ever really noticed it. Then again, I didn’t contest many bunch sprints up 25% hills either

tpbiker
    Free Member

I had one, replaced an old trek alu. It was lighter than the trek and weighed about a pound less, and not noticably more flexy

it was fine until I upgraded to a Canyon which is a far superior frame unsurprisingly, far stiffer, lighter and less flexy. Also looked far nicer.

That said if you can pick one up for around 300 quid with forks its a decent bike.

bombjack
    Free Member

Had a medium PX pro-carbon W/ Sram rival gruppo, really liked it and quite regret selling.
    It wasn’t ground breakingly light, but was fairly rapid when pushed, and I found it comfortable enough.
    Gratuitous pic…

Painey
    Free Member

I really like mine. Haven’t had time to use it really so is currently up for sale if you’re looking? Nice looking bikes and as has been said, pretty rapid. I’ve ridden mine at nudging 60mph and felt safe as houses.

warton
    Free Member

I use one as a winter / commute bike. I can’t fault it TBH.

TheDoctor
    Free Member

I think this about sums them up

souldrummer
    Free Member

I bought a RT-80 frame and built it up with Mavic Ksyrium wheels and Ultegra groupset. From the first few rides I am more than happy with it; even managed to get a few decent Strava times on it! I’m taking it to Belgium and France in a few weeks time so will be able to tell what it’s like for multi-day touring.

Frankenstein
    Free Member

Don’t know as I’ve never owned one but a friend had a nice Kaffenback.

Their customer service (from buying parts) and delivery, has been pretty fast.

theboyneeds
    Free Member

Got one of their carbon cyclocross bikes. Done all sorts on it. So far so good after two years. But I’m not a roadie, cxer really. Although i did have a chap complimenting me on a 100 mile Sportive once. Not sure if he was taking the piss or just trying to encourage but he seemed genuine!

tomhoward

Brother in law has a pro Carbon ultegra, he’s happy with it after loads of miles and *sneers* triathlons

Rorschach
    Free Member

My RT57 was/is light and stiff.Compliant….not so much but 2 out of 3 ain’t bad and certainly no worse than the TCR Advanced Sl it replaced (was only supposed to be a ‘fill in’ till the Evo arrived).
    As a bonus I did’nt give a monkeys if I dropped it which is hugely advantageous when racing crits against other people who are petrified of damaging their 7k wonder horses (and was a major factor in me actually getting some decent results).

hebdencyclist
    Free Member

I love mine. For the money you can’t do better. Yes there are lighter, stiffer frames out there (for much more money) but it does everything the average club cyclist will ever need it to.

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

Wait till someone has told you about carbon layups and vertical compliance; then decide

Andy_Sweet
    Free Member

They’re good for the money, but they are cheap for a reason. That sounds like a criticism but isn’t really. I rode a pro carbon for a number of years and was v happy with it.

The frames are pretty flex and the wheels on PX completes can be poor but you won’t find much else better for the money.

I’ve generally found their service to be good.

roach

Love my RT58, used to have a Pro carbon which was also really good. Bikes are bikes 😆

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

Flex is just a sensation. Anyone that tells you otherwise has swallowed the marketing spiel with a hook, a line and a sinker.

eshershore
    Free Member

It’s an open mould frame from a competent manufacturer…nothing spectacular but probably a reliable workhorse?

An inexpensive route to getting a carbon fibre frame, if you decide that is important.

A quality aluminium alloy frame bike from one of the big brands is another option, with arguably superior sales experience in store, proper assembly and post sales service/ warranty support.

Different routes to buying a bike

retrobri
    Free Member

I ride a planet x team alu on those rare road days, built up cheap and it’s a really nice/quick ride

edhornby

The rival disc version of the RX80 looks like a win to me

Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)

The topic ‘Darkside what are Planet X road bikes like??’ is closed to new replies.