• This topic has 100 replies, 60 voices, and was last updated 14 years ago by juan.
Viewing 21 posts - 81 through 101 (of 101 total)
  • Darkside – Triple or Compact – opening a can of worms!
  • Gary_M
    Free Member

No way!Never seen a fit roadie push-ever!

There were a few pushing up the Talla climb on the Radar Ride and quite a few more pushing up the Bealach na ba on the Bealach Mor.

trail_rat
    Free Member

No way!Never seen a fit roadie push-ever!

There were a few pushing up the Talla climb on the Radar Ride and quite a few more pushing up the Bealach na ba on the Bealach Mor.

he said fit … there is no excuse for pushing up bealach its a speedbump for a fit cyclist- its just long

Gary_M
    Free Member

its a speedbump for a fit cyclist-

Thats a load of bollox, its hardly an easy climb. Of the two Talla is much easier.

Smee
    Free Member

Both are a piece of piss.

To the OP – you can get 29T cassettes, I have one on my bike and use it with a compact. Gives me a nice spread of gears and lets me keep spinning.

Just use what you want to use and stop giving a **** what other people think.

There is an expert level mtb xc punter not too far from here uses a triple and he can very easily wipe the floor with me…

Gary_M
    Free Member

Both are a piece of piss.

Yeh but you're a riding god smee.

And there were also lots of people walking up the final climb on the radar ride.

Smee
    Free Member

There are also lots of people that do sportives who you would hardly classify as fit though.

westkipper
    Free Member

I think the scenes of fit roadies off and walking has more to do with nutrition and pacing than the size of their chainsets. Ive passed riders way better than me that have blown up after being too aggresive too early and hitting the wall, when your that far gone even the best can get caught out.
    I'd recommend people get what suits them and not worry about fashion
    ( though having said that, I have not now, nor have ever had, anything less than a double 53/39 on any of my roadbikes, and if you suggest other, I'll see you in court!!) 🙂

anagallis_arvensis

Before my hip injury woes my roadbike had a triple on it 26/36/48 not sure what cassette was 12-25 I think. Anyway I hardly used the inner ring but it did get used on steep climbs when I'd completely blown every once in a while. This set up was fine for everything from 3min hill climbs to 10 mile TT's in 24 1/2mins to the long route of the Gran Fondo Cymru and 200 mile audax. Cant see the point in 52 chainrings so a triple is fine or if you are a wanabe roadie ponce get a compact.

trail_rat
    Free Member

bealach is a piece of pisss … i read all this bollox about it being hard , then sat in the pub in the loch carron saw mike cottys repo of it , hes a chap whos opinion i respect and he said it was easy ass far as tough climbs go – rode it the next day and thought my that was a let down …. mike was right … its NOT steep … its just long.

Gary_M
    Free Member

Ive passed riders way better than me that have blown up after being too aggresive too early and hitting the wall, when your that far gone even the best can get caught out.

Yeh I know someone that happened too, can't remember the name though 😉

So the 2 mile section in the middle of the Bealach, isn't steeo. Yeh right, I suppose it isn't for willy waving heroes.

trail_rat
    Free Member

maybe from the apple cross side itd be steeper ….even the missus found it a pleasent enough climb……n she was craping her self about it .

aracer
    Free Member

I'm sure all the willy wavers reckon they're far fitter and faster than me, but I've walked up a climb. I wasn't fit for me at the time, but still far from unfit – had been in the top 20% of finishers at a sportive shortly before. Was a fairly sustained 1:5 after 50 miles or so and I just didn't have low enough gears.

rhys
    Free Member

I have triple on my commuter (with panniers) and on my Carbon race bike. When racing the limit screw is adjusted so only 2 are useable but when I goto the Alps all three there and used. Not that many beat me on hills as I spin up. Have ridden most of the big tour climbs over the past 15 years. Overtaken twice and actually able o enjoy the experience. I could not ride up on a double. Triple all the way.

GillyC
    Free Member

Mike WW
    They were definately pushing up Bwlch y Groes (the one they tested spitfires on) and a couple did say that they wanted my triple!

MikeWW
    Free Member

Gilly C – Member

Mike WW
    They were definately pushing up Bwlch y Groes (the one they tested spitfires on) and a couple did say that they wanted my triple!
    Don't doubt there were people walking. My point was that they couldn't have been fit roadies. I thought I was reasonably fit until I started riding with some proper roadies and was/still am humbled.
    But anyway, I think some people are getting confused between what they think is willy waving and honest experience.
    I honestly don't care what people ride or how slow or fast they might be. Its simply that a 34/25(27) ratio gets you up anything I and many others have come across.Want more or touring with panniers or you want to spin get a triple really doesn't make any odds
    Although I've mountain biked for a couple of years I've only ridden road bikes for 6 months and raced cyclocross for less. In reality the proper race orientated roadies I ride/train with don't give a stuff about what you wear/what you ride and to a fair extent even how quick you are.I think its easy to confuse these people with all the gear no idea posers perhaps?

juan
    Free Member

If you want I can ask an aquaintance of mine (who is a team pro rider) what he thinks of the question?

andysandes
    Free Member

juan did you used to be in SUMBC?? I know rich farley and tim etc was president year before Rich.

ANy advice greatly recieved!

trail_rat
    Free Member

aracer – im pro triple despite the above. as you state doesnt matter how fit you are … if your pace is wrong and/or the ride is a long un you will benefit from it …

all im stating is that bealach isnt as hard(and no i didnt use my triple ..39:23) as the reputation it seems to have gained – there are much harder climbs to ride

ChrisHeath

its nice to be able to ride up a 25% after 200k with some tough climbs in with 100k and further climbs still to go.

Of course it is. That's what 39×25 is for. 😉

anagallis_arvensis

Any climb is hard if you've ridden over 150miles, this question can only be answered by getting to the root of the problem, how far do you expect to ride. Do you expect to keep riding when you have hit the grovel mode, if you dont then a double will be fine.

juan
    Free Member

Andy yes I was in the SUMBC in the golden age of rich tim andy and simon.
    Speaking to the lbs they are pro triple all the way (but then I live somewhere where road are all steep) in my opinion I think it's better to have the granny option. Even if you dont use it you'll have it for this moment (you know the one you're going to suffer when you'll be over 3500 m of climb and your leg will be heavy and hard to spin).

If I were you I'll go for a triple with a 27. But then I am very pragmatic.

Viewing 21 posts - 81 through 101 (of 101 total)

The topic ‘Darkside – Triple or Compact – opening a can of worms!’ is closed to new replies.