Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 64 total)
  • Darkside – touring bike cum Winter bike
  • cinnamon_girl

Been having a bit of a ponder and I know this is the best place to ask. 🙂

I have a road bike which I have no intention of riding in the Winter due to much mud on roads from farm vehicles etc. It’s also very light and, quite frankly, I want to keep it looking good.

At some point I would like a touring bike (already have rack and panniers) and was wondering whether it could be used as a Winter bike. Immediate thought is steel (but would love Ti, ahem).

Does this sound a sensible proposition?

As always, thanks very much. 🙂

RealMan
    Free Member

Yeah, a touring bike is just a winter bike with panniers/racks etc.

druidh
    Free Member

One and the same. Might I point madam towards the Van Nicholas website, where she will notice the Amazon. This very capable machine can be outfitted with a disc-compatible fork and will handle a degree of off-roadiness too.

cynic-al
    Free Member

This is exactly my town/touring/winter bike, discs, racks, mudguards, 28c tyres…and ti 😎

cinnamon_girl

Thanks for the replies. 8)

Shall check that out druidh but definitely not wanting to go off-road. I would however definitely want disc brakes!

cynic-al – can you post a pic please or is it one of your unique creations? 😉

stAn-BadBrainsMBC
    Free Member

KONA SUTRA

I’ve got the 2009 (green) version – superb bike. Bob a Brooks saddle on it and you’re more than sorted.
    Used it almost daily for the past 18 months, commuting, touring and the odd century ride. Love it.
    It handled last years snow very well.

I beg to differ on a few points above – a tourer is not just a winter bike with panniers/racks etc. A dedicated touring bike will have a slightly lower bottom bracket for stability, a slightly more upright riding position, rear triangle will be built to accomodate a rack and pannier ( some road bikes rear end are that short that when you fit a pannier you catch your heels as you pedal), the gears will be more than likely be a triple chainset with a wider ratio cassette than most road bikes. It will also be be built for comfort, reliability and strength rather than speed.
    Have a look at Kona Sutra, Salsa Fargo and Surly Long Haul Trucker – bit different to ‘just a winter bike with panniers’.

and as for off-road – no I didn’t buy mine for going off-road. But those cross tyres were cheap and , well you can guess the rest.

Stoner
    Free Member

PX do a kaff w discs. This medium is on sale at £900
    Excellent touring/winter frame. ALl the holes for guards and racks.
    Have toured for many miles on it’s SS cousin the pompino.

drinkmoreport
    Free Member

Salsa Veya ticks your boxes :mrgreen:

Blackhound

Cotic Roadrat? Been meaning to sell my medium as a frame/fork or as a bike. pm if interested.

I have just replaced it with a Forme Plateau (Aly frame carbon fork) which does not do discs but is nearly 10% quicker for the same effort. Has mudguard and rack mounts.

ourmaninthenorth

Winter and Touring bikes are, if we’re splitting hairs, not the same. But they can each do both jobs quite nicely.

Oh, and what’s wrong with riding road bikes off road..? I make a point of it.

EDIT: addressing the question a little more, I’d ask yourself which is more important: touring or “winter training”? For me, it’s the latter, so the tourinjg capabilities of my bike are limited.

If that’s your angle, then have a look at the perennial Ribble Audax.

rootes1

in some ways a touring bike is a great all round bike for cycling.

Ridgeback do a nice range than come with guards and racks etc

http://www.ridgeback.co.uk/bike/panorama

all they need is dynamo (hub) system

deals to be had on Dawes Galaxy as well
    http://www.spacycles.co.uk/products.php?plid=m1b0s21p2419

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

Sell that lightweight road bike, cos unless you’re racing it’s pointless.

And get yerself something like a CX bike with rack mounts. More models are now coming with discs.

Here’s a nice one:

And it’s only eight hundred and fifty pounds.

http://www.evanscycles.com/products/pinnacle/arkose-two-cyclo-cross-bike-ec027483

More comfy geometry, better brakes, more versatile.

grantyboy
    Free Member

another +1 for the Kona Sutra

druidh
    Free Member

The Sutra is lovely (I’ve had one) but I reckon there are a lot of bikes giving it a run for its money these days. It’s not the lightest of bicycles either.

dirtygirlonabike
    Free Member

I bought a kinesis tripster for touring/winter road riding/cx riding. Sadly it is too big for me so I am selling it/turning it into a commuter and buying a custom frame instead. 😳

You may have a problem finding something that fits depending on how tall you are/requirements – i wanted disks, mounts for mudguards and rack, plus clearance for cx/touring tyres as well as running 23s for winter rides, but couldn’t find anything small enough that ticked all the boxes.

I considered and discounted the kona sutra on weight. Also considered the kaffenback (too big for me) and the salsa vaya (i wanted 700c wheels and the frame which would have fitted me came with 26″)

loum
    Free Member

How a bout an on-one pompetamine, it has discs, steel frame and winter-proof hub gears. 800/1200 for 8 or 11 gears.

http://www.on-one.co.uk/i/q/CBOOPOMPETVERSA/on_one_pompetamine_versa_

http://www.on-one.co.uk/i/q/CBOOPOMPETVERSA11/on_one_pompetamine_versa_11_speed_pro

wors

I bought a Kona Dew Drop for the exact same purpose, not sure if they are still available but got mine for a bargaintastic price of £465.

mcboo
    Free Member

Having the same thoughts…..C2W from Evans so looking at something from Genesis (Croix de Fer) or BMC (Alpenchallenge) but just spotted this from Jamis….Aurora Elite

MoreCashThanDash

Check out Spa Cycles own brand Audax and Tourers, both available in a fetching and good value Ti format…..

thehustler
    Free Member

My boardman in touring guise

change the wheels to thicker rim and grippier tyres winter commuter

poolman
    Free Member

I have a Condor Heritage & love it. Bombproof, no disc brakes though.

mcboo
    Free Member

That Jamis has bar end shifters……I ride on the hoods in town, why would they put the gear changing down there? Deal-breaker.

crazy-legs

That Jamis has bar end shifters……I ride on the hoods in town, why would they put the gear changing down there? Deal-breaker.

Some touring bikes still use bar end shifters cos they don’t interfere with handlebar-mounted bags. The cables and the lever movement on STI’s often catch on barbags so a lot of touring riders don’t like them.

(less of an issue now that all manufacturers route all their cables next to the bar but older Shimano stuff with the side cables was always a problem).

stAn-BadBrainsMBC
    Free Member

bet that Boardmans fun cornering on fast descents with the panniers so high 😯

cinnamon_girl

Wow, lots of replies and suggestions, thanks!

OK, its main purpose would be for touring, maximum trip a week, so that means one pair of half-empty panniers. Priority would need to be comfort hence Ti would be brilliant but realistically steel would just have to do.

I guess for Winter duties it would just be a means of maintaining stamina.

Lots to think about but, one thing’s for sure, the road bike is staying but the full suss would unfortunately have to go!

epo-aholic
    Free Member

Genesis Croix de Fer for me, Ti would be much lighter granted but it would also be more than twice the price!

Mudguards are a bugger to fit though….

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Some touring bikes still use bar end shifters cos they don’t interfere with handlebar-mounted bags

They also have a friction shift option if you’ve dinged your mech hanger. Basicaly, they’re more reliable, which is a good thing if you’re on a serious tour.

trailmoggy
    Free Member

for gods sake don’t buy a ribble i think theyre made out of scaffolding tube, my kineseis is suprisingly comfy

cynic-al
    Free Member

Kafenback hard to beat for value IMO.

I have a VN Yukon, got it SH for £435, added disc mounts front and rear (front broke 🙁 ) it’s perfect – stiff enough to tour (Caserrol wasn’t), agile enough to be fun unloaded, and lightish.

cynic-al
    Free Member

CaptainFlashheart – Member
    a serious tour.

Something bugger all of us actually ever do, despite how cool saying that may make you think you are.

Baldysquirt

Just in the process of building a Kaffenback for just this purpose. There are a good few great looking frames out there for a similar purpose, but the Kaff was just such good value. It’s looking good so far – just waiting for cranks to arrive.

TiRed

In the above photos, take a look at the gap between tyre and seat tube. Then it is easy to spot the tourers.

Just buy an 853 Dawes Ultra Galaxy and grow a beard during your travels.

EDIT: that beard might take a while 😳 . Glad you are back to biking. But still get a Galaxy. Tourers and road bikes are related, but they very definitely are not the same: Road -> Audax (Winter) -> Road

TiRed

The chainstays on that Kaff look rather short. I hope you don’t have large feet, or don’t mind travelling with smaller panniers.

simondbarnes

Harvest Time by simondbarnes, on Flickr

Sabbath September for me. More Audax than full tourer (Sabbath do the Silk Route for that) but perfectly up to a bit of touring as well as commuting, winter training etc.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

that beard might take a while

Much lollage! 🙂

Vortexracing

I have just bought one of these. Has rear rack mounts will take a 28mm tyre and full mudguards.

Weighs 18lbs with pedals

probably alright for ‘light touring’ (ie using just rear rack) and I’m using it as my one and only road bike for commuting, winter rides, training and out with the lads on Road rides.

Paul Hewitt did the fitting and built the bike and I must say it’s great, so comfy. Thats probably a mixture of 28 tyres, Hewitt fitting and a nice frame/fork.

P1040343 by eastham_david, on Flickr

I’m only short (5ft 4″) not sure of your height CG but if you fancy a try you can always borrow it.

druidh
    Free Member

Oh well – since we’re posting photos now…

Sue_W
    Free Member

c_g: yey! Welcome to the winter roadie / touring club 🙂 I got the ‘Adventure Cycle-Touring Handbook’ for Christmas and am currently half-way across Russia (albeit whilst remaining tucked up under the duvet!)

Not wanting to get too personal, but the factor which I found most important was whether you are (ahem) female proportioned – ie relatively long legs and a proportionally shorter torso. I am (along with being a diminuative 5′) and found that the biggest issue re touring bikes as it’s pretty harder to get a women’s specific one (which isn’t some god-awful step-through frame). Above all, fit and comfort is far more important than anything else, as you’re going to be sat on it for hours and hours, day in, day out. So try as many as you can, and even consider a custom built frame (which to be honest is something I’d consider in the future).

Let us know what you get!

Vortexracing

even consider a custom built frame

TBH Sue if they hadn’t got this XS Carbon Alpine, I was going to get that very thing in steel from Paul Hewitt. The 12 week waiting list was a big consideration, but he rekons he can get a very light, extemely comfy bike built exactly the way you want it.

It is well worth considering CG.

The price was about £950 for frame and forks built in columbus steel if I recall correctly.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 64 total)

The topic ‘Darkside – touring bike cum Winter bike’ is closed to new replies.