Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Darkside: Stick with 105 10sp or go Ultegra 11sp?
  • rollindoughnut
    Free Member

Just mulling this over:

Currently got 105 10sp groupset on my road bike (CAAD 10). It’s about 3 years old now but I replace cables and cassettes etc when necessary. I currently need to replace the rear mech as it’s very sloppy and was wondering whether to go the whole hog and put nice new Ultegra 11sp on instead.

It kind of makes sense to buy a complete groupset as my brakes are 105 too and one is a little bent but I don’t need the cranks as I have a crank based power meter.

I train a lot and race a bit (3rd cat) and whilst old 105 is a bit heavy and stiff to use, the gears change when I want them too and the brakes slow me down so it’s hard to justify upgrading.

Any thoughts on this? Worth the money or just get a new rear mech for £25 and carry on as normal.

edhornby

the gears change when I want them too and the brakes slow me down so it’s hard to justify upgrading.

I wouldn’t on this basis, I’d continue to use it until something fundamental needs replacing or wireless changing is stable/cost viable

flange
    Free Member

I’ve had 10 speed 105 and Dura Ace, I’ve also got or had 11 speed Dura Ace, Ultegra and 105.

Out of all of them, I’d have 11 speed 105 every day of the week. You wouldn’t think it’d make much difference but having that extra cog fills the ‘gap’ that was previously there – it’s only a noticeable gap if you’ve spent time on the 11 speed before hand but its very noticeable then. I’ve not got a bad thing to say about 105 and I’ll never bother buying more expensive group sets again.

Also, front shifting is massively improved on 11 speed and the brakes are another step forward. If you’re happy to spend the money (the CAAD is worth it), then you’ll not be disappointed

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    flange
    Free Member

Just remember you might need a new back wheel or at least a freehub (unless you run Mavic) as the freehub body is wider on 11 speed. Or just change the freehub to a campag and run a campag cassette. The only odd one out is Zipp, you have to send them off to have them redished. And Lightweights obviously but if you’ve got lightweights, you’ve probably got the cashola to buy another set.

Sam

11 speed stuff is nice but as you say 10 speed does the job. Don’t forget that unless your wheels have 11spd compatible hubs you are looking at new wheels too, which is often a deal breaker. That’s what’s keeping me on 10spd, multiple sets of wheels which are 10speed only… On a purely performance basis (i.e. race results) you’d have to say no. On an overall feel and pleasure to use basis only you can decide whether the few hundred quid for upgrading is worth it.

rollindoughnut
    Free Member

Cheers guys. My wheels are 11sp compatible so that wouldn’t be a problem. I’ve got 11sp 105 on my cross bike and it is as you say, lovely to use.

flange
    Free Member

As for differences between Ultegra and 105, I struggled to tell the difference apart from a bit more weight in the cranks – certainly nothing from a performance standpoint. I’m sure a better man than me could, but 105 comes in black and black is cool (Ultegra only comes in that dark grey) so that sealed the deal for me on the winter bike.

Note – I’m currently* riding fixed so 8 speed Sora would be a blessing in this wind…

*Not currently currently. Currently currently I’m sat in an office but I’ve got 10 miles of headwind misery tonight with one gear…a big gear. I might need to change that 15t Sam..

rollindoughnut
    Free Member

Good point Flange; my bike and everything on it is black. So much so that I had to get a blue/white cross bike and accessorize it with pink bar tape to redress the balance.

iainc

I have 2012 Ultegra 10 speed on good road bike and 2015 105 11 speed on CDF. The 105 is better IMO – lighter, crisper. The older Ultegra had new cables this year and is running like new.

flange
    Free Member

Death Star vs Camp Millennium Falcon

Your stable is complete.

I had one of those black CAAD10’s and they’re flippin lovely. I ran it with 11 speed Ultegra. Draw your own conclusions…

mike_p
    Free Member

I’ve got 10spd Ultegra on one bike and 11spd on the other… 11spd wins hands down, so much lighter to the touch and the extra sprocket is something you never knew you needed!

bensales
    Free Member

If it helps, I spotted a full Ultegra 6800 11 spd group on Bikeradar earlier today for £389

Shimano Ultegra 6800 11-Speed Groupset – Tweaks Cycles

TiRed

As above. I except the external cabled 6600 is as nice as the 6800. I’d upgrade. The extra spocket is useful if you are running a compact because 11-28 will cover anything.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Darkside: Stick with 105 10sp or go Ultegra 11sp?’ is closed to new replies.