Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • [Darkside] road shoe advice
  • el_bandido
    Free Member

I’ve always just used my mtb shoes on my road bike, but an increase in road miles, and an increase in shoe drying time, has me thinking about a pair of dedicated road bike shoes. I think my feet could cause a few problems. I had a climbing accident many years ago which smashed one of my feet up and it reformed wider, shorter and deeper than the other foot. I don’t really have too much bother finding mtb shoes that work, but guessing that road shoes might be a different matter.

As a starting point looking for something with a wideish ankle, a bit of room in the toe box, and a bit of adjustment. Any tips or am I best off sticking with mtb shoes?

kilo

Have yoy tried road shoes by the same maufacturer. I din’t notice that much differnce between my dhb mytb shoes and road shoes. Fing a good shop try lots on

MSP

I find most makes have the same fit for road and mtb shoes.

Have a look at lake shoes, they are fairly wide fittings and have either a boa that goes around the heel for an adjustable fit on the ankle, or on the more expensive models the heel is heat moulded for a custom fit.

Shimano also do a custom fit shoe.

mrmo
    Free Member

depends on brand but some such as Sidi the mtb shoes and the road shoes are the same uppers on a different sole unit.

Not sure if that will help, but depending on what your using as mtb shoes may be relevant.

MrSmith
    Free Member

whatever shoes you get (i use sidi and shimano) invest in some Sidas custom footbeds worth every penny if you have odd feet.

crikey
    Free Member

Try some Northwave shoes; I found them deep and wide compared to Adidas and Mavic.

steve_b77
    Free Member

I ride with Specalized BG shoes with Carbon soles and BG footbeds, incredibly comfortable even after 10 hours in the saddle.

Next pair of MTB shoes will be carbon soled Spesh’s when the shimanos give up that is

13thfloormonk

My Specialized road shoes are so comfy its almost perverse, they’re also bright white for extra wrongness points.

Slightly more on topic, I noticed they did some models in a wide fit, and given that they’re already slightly roomier than Mavics and Shimanos, they could be a good investment. Going on past experiences they’ll last for years and years and years as well.

GJP
    Free Member

I use Specialized shoes on both Road and MTB, as far as I can tell the fit is the same. I quite like them, mainly because they are affordable barring all the s-works jobbies.

Militant_biker

am I best off sticking with mtb shoes?

The main reason I changed to using road shoes on the road bike was for the stability. With MTB pedals my foot could roll side-to-side across the pedal. After trying some road pedals, I found the wider cleat interface makes for a more solid foot placement, which I prefered. If it doesn’t bother you, you could stick with MTB shoes.

bright white for extra wrongness points.

Nowt wrong with white shoes on the road bike as long as 1) they’re shiny white and 2) you’re fast enough! 😉

steve_b77
    Free Member

Mine are white too, with a natty red stripe for extra quickness

el_bandido
    Free Member

Thanks for all the tips. My current MTB shoes are Northwave, so I’ll start with them. Spesh and Lake also sound like they are worthy of investigation.

Dan67
    Free Member

I have a set of northwave typhoon sbs and they are uber comfortable and super stiff. My feet are fairly wide and they fit sooo much better than my shimano m182. Highly recommended. I’m certainly going to get a par of northwaves for my next mtb shoe.
    Also I know they are big bucks but if you have weird feet have you thought about shimano’s custom fit shoes?

stevemtb
    Free Member

I haven’t tried on any road shoes as wide as Northwaves. Shimanos were useless (never tried the wide ones), Bontrager felt really good in the shop but were agony after one ride. Tried loads on but those are the ones I’ve owned.

If you like the NW mtb shoes stick with their road ones, I find they have a much better wide fit than anything else I’ve tried.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘[Darkside] road shoe advice’ is closed to new replies.