• This topic has 11 replies, 6 voices, and was last updated 10 years ago by aw.
Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Darkside – rims worn on board an, decisions?
  • aw
    Free Member

Just completed box hill sportive in the very wet weather last weekend!

I was shocked to realise by the end had hardly any brakes. My adequate braking had been transformed to virtually none by wet weather and accelerated brake block wear.

Also noticed rims were concave and heavily scored.

These wheels have done over 10,000 miles since 2009.

At the same time had a nightmare with my converted cyclo cross Alan top cross bike trying to get chain length and tensioner right. Gave up with several lengths of chain in bits. This bike has some sweet shims no wheels and wondered if I could use them on my board an to replace the worn rims?

I have another single speed bike, a genesis flyer…

aw
    Free Member

http://i222.photobucket.com/albums/dd92/crundall/DSCF0379.jpg

This is my cyclo cross bike… Is an Alan Top Cross frame worth much?

Rorschach
    Free Member

Eh?

aw
    Free Member

scaredypants

Post isn’t quite clear to me; you on a wireless keyboard ? keeps skipping letters (or else predictive text weirdness)

If they’re really badly worn, eventually the walls give way under tyre pressure, possibly causing injury when they do
    Are you binning the worn rims ? You could rebuild on same hubs if they’re still OK

Your cx bike hubs MAY have 135mm rear spacing but otherwise I don’t see why you can’t use those wheels

_tom_
    Free Member

Is an Alan Top Cross frame worth much?

Not sure but I may be interested depending on the size and how much you end up wanting for it 🙂

aw
    Free Member

Well open to offers top cross but need an idea what it’s worth first 🙂

aw
    Free Member

I am posting on iPad so that may be the problem with skipping letters?

This is my boardman…

aw
    Free Member

This is the flyer…

manton69

10,000 miles on a pair of rims is very good, but if they are concave I would replace them straight away. Modern rims have an indicator line in them to avoid having the weigh the rims/wheels, or use a micrometer. If you have ever has a rim blow up it rarely ends well.

You should be able to space the wheels off the Alan with no issues.

flap_jack
    Free Member

I would replace them straight away

This.

I didn’t once, and a brake block went through the rim instantly locking the front. High speed faceplant.

aw
    Free Member

Other option is to sell the genesis and/or use wheels from that

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Darkside – rims worn on board an, decisions?’ is closed to new replies.