Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Darkside question: why doesnt my new crank fit???
  • turneround

just bought a new carbon crankset off CRC, sq taper to repace my campag veloce. just tried to fit it now and when the crank bolts are tightened the driveside arm is pulled tight against the BB so it doesnt spin. Do i need to get a BB with longer spindle or is it back to CRC with the crank??

JoB
    Free Member

it will probably need a longer BB axle, what crankset is it?

turneround

the existing one is a veloce on my de rosa team, i went for an FSA carbon one that was on a deal at CRC:

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=41536

any help appreciated

JoB
    Free Member

well the FSA crank will require a Shimano taper bottom-bracket to fit correctly, if you look in the chainset instructions it probably tells you what BB axle length you need, otherwise it's up to you to trawl the internet to find out

coatesy
    Free Member

Don't know if it's your problem but when I ordered a Royce I was asked whether I wanted a long or short taper type axle, apparently some road chainsets have different types.

snaps
    Free Member

Try asking a road forum

JoB
    Free Member

good to see snaps is still at it 🙂

mefty
    Free Member

I seem to recall Campagnolo have a different square taper bottom bracket which makes them incompatible with other brands, I think they are tapered differently. Shimano etc will work. Be careful with your crank puller on FSA cranks, I stripped the threads on mine and have had to bin the crankset.

turneround

cheers, they have already gone back to CRC and im sticking with campy

trail_rat
    Free Member

campag uses iso taper

fsa will use JIS taper (shimano compatible)

clubber
    Free Member

As above – different tapers which in turn (IIRC) mean that for the same length axle, a chainset will fit further on a Campag than Shimano.

MrSmith
    Free Member

so have you buggered the taper because you didn't realise there are 2 different standards? i wouldn't accept the cranks back if i was CRC.

foxyrider
    Free Member

@MrSmith – Chill out dude – if CRC think its not in good condition he won't get a refund. No where does he say its knackered just didn't fit!

epo-aholic
    Free Member

from memory campag are low profile cranks and it sounds like the fsa ones aren't……..just a longer spindle required, a campag triple one should do it but read the manual or call crc (lol) just to be sure.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘Darkside question: why doesnt my new crank fit???’ is closed to new replies.