Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Darkside Q : Zonda or Fulcrum 3's ?
  • whatgoesup

I’ve decided on one of these two as an upgrade to the heavy stock wheels on my CAAD8. The Fulcrums are £300 vs the £260 for the Zondas (via pricematching, probably by waiting the Fulcrums will the same price sooner or later).

Which to choose? They’re all but identical but I’m stuck on the looks…
    What is the STW consensus?

mboy
    Free Member

You’ve hit the nail on the head… They are the same wheel!

So just order whatever you can get the best deal on.

STATO
    Free Member

Do you have campagnolo gears? if not then you’ve answered the question. Saving money is not worth the shame you will feel any time someone looks at your bike 😀

whatgoesup

Yes, but they spoke pattern is different, so the Zonda is blingier.

Is that betterer or tacky?

wilburt
    Free Member

Zonda’s are better IMO, there cup and cone bearings in a tried and tested hub. 3’s are mostly sealed bearing which are often better for some people but I know a few people who’ve had issues with them in Fulcrums.

There both 15mm internal width rims btw with new 17mm versions about to land if thats important to you.

Sandwich

I recently acquired some 2-way fit Zondas they make a nice noise on tarmac with tubeless tyres. They spin up nice and quickly too. The chap who does wheel truing for me said don’t bring them to him because of the un-drilled rim and magnetic nipple placement assembly.

mikey74
    Free Member

Do you have campagnolo gears?

It’s irrelevant: Zondas are available for Shimano as well. I have some.

withersea
    Free Member

Mikey74 wrong end of the stick

whatgoesup

Stato – yes, I’ve got Shimano gears and am wondering about whether it looks silly to have Campag wheels on a Shimano bike or not.

Wilburt – I thought that the bearings were the same between the two. A quick check online suggests cheaper Fulcrums are cartridge bearings whereas the 3’s are some complex version of cup and cone.

It’s not about the cash difference between the two BTW, this really is vanity as in which looks nicer.

mikey74
    Free Member

yes, I’ve got Shimano gears and am wondering about whether it looks silly to have Campag wheels on a Shimano bike or not.

This is seriously a thing? Jesus! get a grip, lol.

stevious

I think the Fulcrums look better.

fasthaggis

I am surprised that someone using the word darkside would know what Campag was 😛 😉

eddie11
    Free Member

Zondas do have cup and cone bearings but the races are replaceable so it overcomes one of the big problems of cup and cone.

withersea
    Free Member

Sadly in roadie world it is a thing.

Being a MTB first and foremost I don’t care and I’ve got zondas on my shimano equipped bike

wilburt
    Free Member

Re bearings: I would check on the exact model you are buying, I said “mostly” because I’ve seen cartridge bearings on at least two sets of Fulcrums 3’s ( I helped friends replace them) but like you also noted they were advertising them as cup and cone.

wobbliscott
    Free Member

Zonda user here. Very happy with them. No idea what they’re like compared to the Fulcrums, but I can confirm they are pretty bulletproof. I’m no lightweight – 90kg’s in my birthday suit and use the bike for the odd commute too with a backpack on, so probably a good 95kg, maybe a bit more in commute trim and two years on they are still running as true as the day they were born. I’m amazed given the spoke count. Not necessarily much lighter than the stock Giant wheels that came with my bike – no scales but the hand scales can’t really tell much of a difference, but the hubs are nice and buttery smooth, and remain so 2 years down the line.

whatgoesup

Zondas it is…

thanks folks!

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘Darkside Q : Zonda or Fulcrum 3's ?’ is closed to new replies.