Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Darkside newbie advice
  • StuF

I'm thinking of entering some duathalons for fun 8O. I'm trying an off road one first as I have what I need.

Maybe next year I'll have a go at some on road ones. How good a road bike would I be able to get away with – I was thinking £300 (complete thumb in air) on something second hand.

Is a cheap road bike much different from an expensive one – apart from weight. I know with mtbs you get better forks / suspension, resistance to mud etc.

Any advice / thoughts would be welcome – ta in advance

ourmaninthenorth

No, it will be fine. £300 s/h may get you a reasonable bike from a few years ago that's been looked after (well, they don't really break like MTBs).

StuF

Thats what I figured – especially as I couldn't justify much more on something that wouldn't get used very much (I'm not planning on being converted)

joemarshall
    Free Member

If it's only for fun, just put slicks on your mountain bike, unless it's some fancy event that stipulates particular kit.

Joe

clubber
    Free Member

It won't slow you down a lot so long as it's not really hilly.

Change the tyres for good race ones (use the others for training on) and that'll make a big difference. Something like Michelin Pro2 or 3s.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

The topic ‘Darkside newbie advice’ is closed to new replies.