Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Darkside: new carbon road bike – any good deals?
  • Hi all, I’ve just had the insurance payout through to replace my crashed bike, so I’m looking for a replacement. Something carbon, with Ultegra or Dura Ace…. the Focus Izalco Pro looks good (esp with Wiggle’s extra 15% off), has anyone seen any other decent offers?

Coleman
    Free Member

Although 09 model, frame and groupset still current. Only in med/large though.
    http://www.jejamescycles.co.uk/giant-tcr-advanced-sl-1-isp-road-bike-id45066.html

Thanks Coleman, good spot. I would have gone for that, although it’s only the 53.5 frame – small I think – and I need a large/56cm.

Bit tempted to make an offer on this guy’s stuff: http://shop.ebay.co.uk/4989gk/m.html?_trksid=p4340.l2562

Although lack of feedback and previous non-bike sales make me suspicious…

Coleman
    Free Member

Just for info- Giant’s 53.5 is a medium/large and has a 57cm effective top tube. Probably sits in-between a 56 and 58 in traditional frame sizing. Would suit someone 5’10” to 6’0″.

Margin-Walker
    Free Member

agree with coleman and TT length more important. I am 5’11” and race a med scott (54)

Yup, sorry, amateur mistake, should have checked. I go off top tube length too, 56cm (or thereabouts) for me.

I think the Izalco Pro looks like better value than the Giant though… same groupset, BB30, slightly cheaper wheels… and I’d have £900 left in my pocket.

kingkongsfinger
    Free Member

Im 6 feet exactly and race a 54cm (medium Scott), depends how long/short your legs are and long/short your torso is.

It also depends how “PRO AS” you are, get a 120 mm long stem, small frame,long seat post and race like a Belgium Pro, no one looks cool on a large 5 bar gate/bedstead. 😳

lazybike
    Free Member

canyon…….These look good

MrSmith
    Free Member

Im 6 feet exactly and race a 54cm (medium Scott), depends how long/short your legs are and long/short your torso is.

also depends on how manufacturers measure their frames and/or compact/trad geometry.

just picked up a fuji altamea 2.0 and it’s a 53 and had to swap the 120 for a 110. my other bike is a 56 with 130 stem, both now give an identical fit (6ft1)

quite impressed with the fuji, but not the muppet who set the brakes/gears up

Thanks for the advice everyone!

I actually sized down a couple of years ago, went from a 58cm top tube with a 120 stem to a 56 with a 140 stem. Head tube length is a factor too, as I think a bike looks better without any headtube spacers.

140 stem + no spacers = about as PRO AS you can get 🙂

That Canyon looks good Lazybike… or maybe even the CF SLX Dura Ace. It’s good to see that although some top end bikes are silly money nowadays, you can still get a bike with a pro-level frame and groupset for £2-2500.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Darkside: new carbon road bike – any good deals?’ is closed to new replies.