• This topic has 20 replies, 12 voices, and was last updated 8 years ago by TiRed.
Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • Darkside? I'll show you the real Darkside!
  • TiRed

Back in the day, “Darkside” did NOT refer to road bikes, but devices a lot more esoteric. The day has arrived and my sandal-and-beardometer has just gone off the scale, but needs must and the new commuter has been delivered…

“Gizago, go on, go…!”

monkeyfudger
    Free Member

I really want a shot!

We need to see a Strava comparison between this and the Propel 😛

Guards?

flashes
    Free Member

Am I right in thinking it’s perfectly acceptable (neigh encouraged) to throw bread at anyone actually riding these……

tthew

Likes.

Used to have a short wheel base 2 wheeler, bright yellow thing. Fast as. If ever I have room for a trike, will have one like a shot.

cloudnine
    Free Member

Needs bunting..

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

bunting..

Bunting a ‘bent? He’s not a silly bint! 😉

But yes, guards would be good.

I used to borrow a long wheelbase, underseat steer, faired two wheeler from a friend of mine back in Southampton. Was scary, scary fast! Used to love bombing the Avenue on it!

Harry_the_Spider

Nice.

Let us know how it gets on in traffic! 😯

TiRed

I’ll be riding intervals around Heathrow and off on a club ride, so we’ll see. It certainly uses some very different muscles! For the geeky, it’s a Mk1 Catrike Villager.

cynic-al
    Free Member

I always knew you’d turn out ok tired

Sandwich

We a chap round these parts who rides a hand-cranked recumbent. It looks scary on busy roads.

muppetWrangler
    Free Member

Don’t think it’s niche enough. Seen two (admittedly two rather than three wheeler) recumbents on the road this week. One fully enclosed and nipping along at around 27-28 mph.

Oddly I’m not far from Heathrow too.

cynic-al
    Free Member

I hear a starter bent can be had for£top odd, correct? r

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

We a chap round these parts who rides a hand-cranked recumbent. It looks scary on busy roads.

I’ve been lucky enough to meet this chap. Josh Boggi. A genuinely wonderful guy, with quite the story behind him.

His “bike” is an effing wonder! My LBS made him a new brake lever for his stump-brake. It also has Corimas and more pimp than most TT bikes. Oh, and he really is as fast as the bike deserves. He hoons it around Wiltshire, and anywhere he can, at speeds that scare normal roadies!

TiRed

Now that is fast! I’m recovering fine, and the engine is being tuned. But my wrist is not great and I can’t risk a fall on it for a few months. I also commute by bike and not being able to has been awful. And I have always wanted one 😉

This was the Catrike importer’s demo trike; it’s been sold and bought back three times as people upgraded! Was less than £1k. Beginner used recumbents can be had for a few hundred. Trikes a fair bit more.

Sinner Mango next 😉

garage-dweller

Cfh that’s something else. Just done a quick goggle search on him.

Op nice trike. Paviers a little uninspired and generally outclassed by Josh Boggi post by cfh sorry…blame cfh.

TiRed

Now sporting Durano 28mm road tyres, a close ratio 11-23 9-speed block, a low profile Tubus QR3 rack for the briefcase and, of course, a rear mudguard 😉 . It shifts like an F1 car as I cannow keep my spinning at 100 RPM, cruises at about 18-20 mph, and seems to have a van-repulsion field – never had so much space on the road.

The F1 start grid tyre scrub approaching traffic lights is obligatory, of course 😉

And for balance, This had it’s first outing on a 80km club ride yesterday. The wrist is still sore, but the spirits high:

monkeyfudger
    Free Member

Gorgeous! What are those new Giant wheels like, clinchers I presume? Always drooled over the Propel, would love one, this is made worse by the fact I’ve just bought the Mrs one 😥 Hers now taunts me…

Glad to hear your healing well dude!

TiRed

Wheels are clincher and can be tubeless. 300g lighter than the previous pSLR aeros (currently still with Surrey Police) with alloy braking surfaces. Hubs are now silent (still DT Swiss) and they are slightly deeper section rims. In fact they feel like an upgrade. Profile looks the same and not as blunt as Zipps.

As for the rest, feels a little stiffer than the Pro, probably a result of the integrated seatpost. The aero profile bars are annoying – try fitting a K-Edge mount, and I rotate mine slightly for optimal wrist angle, so the light tends to point upwards!

It’s a great bike and I can’t wait to race it.

bikebouy
    Free Member

Shiny !!

Likes a lot 8)

monkeyfudger
    Free Member

Sounds like you hate the bars, you should ditch ’em, I’ll give you a tenner for them 😉

TiRed

Fortunately, I don’t race WITH lights, just use them on the way home :p

I have some snapped carbon aero Ritchey Streems you can have though. You can fix them with the plate from my wrist when it comes out!

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)

The topic ‘Darkside? I'll show you the real Darkside!’ is closed to new replies.