Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • Darkside frame Q – budget Ti or half decent carbon suggestions please
  • slimjim78
    Free Member

Having just been massively let down AGAIN by a very well known supplier (all may well be revealed) I am know left with a bunch of components and a new carbon fork on order but no road frame.

I thought I was about to receive a nice road Ti frame at a great sale price but alas this plan has hit a deadend.
    So, should I splash a bit more on a different Ti frame, or go for something carbonish?

I noticed I can possibly pick up a Lynskey Cooper in the current CRC sale for £899, is it worth me stretching a further £300 for this? (provided it fits)
    Are there any other nice Ti option around the £600/£1000 price point that I must consider?

Or are there any carbon bragains to be had currently?
    Something in semi compact geometry ideally, and not too lairy looking

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

What sort of riding do you want it for?

You could geta custom steel frame for the price of a cheap/reduced Ti frame. I reckon thats waht I’d do.

MrSmith
    Free Member

custom oversize modern steel over plain gauge russian/chinese ti.
    rourke or enigma.

reggiegasket
    Free Member

Van Nic?

or a Giant TCR Advanced? You might get a NOS 2011 frame for a bit over a grand.

I run a ti and a carbon – it depends what you want to do on it really, as they both have pros and cons.

slimjim78
    Free Member

Im mainly looking for 20 to 30 miles fast blasts, but with added comfort for the occasional 50 to 100 mile ride.

semi-compact, mainly as I have a short inseam but long torso.

I like the idea of custom steel, but coming from a lightweight SL Pro im concerned about the added weight over longer distance. I prefer to cruise at as high a pace as I can manage.
    I also love the idea of scratch & rust proof Ti.

No thoughts on the Cooper?
    Are Van Nic all plain gauge?

mustard
    Free Member

When did you last see a steel frame that had rusted through? – should last just as long as Ti as long as you sort of look after it. It may even be lighter than cheap Ti – just worth keeping in mind – steel does not neccessarily = heavy.

slimjim78
    Free Member

paintwork on steel frames usually damages without much effort which is one of the bigger drawbacks.
    who’s producing the nicer steel frames within my budget?

sefton
    Free Member
    BadlyWiredDog

No thoughts on the Cooper?

I haven’t tried a Cooper, but I ride a Planet X Ti Pro Road, one of the Lynskey-made ones and it’s lovely, a really nice balance of suppleness and power transmission. If the Cooper rides as nicely – and I don’t see why it wouldn’t – and you can get one for 900 quid, then I’d say that’s a pretty good deal for a Lynskey.

And of course it’s totally subjective, but ti kind of has ‘thing’ in a way that carbon doesn’t. It’s just nice.

slimjim78
    Free Member

hmmm… funny you should say that, I thought I had a Ti Pro too…

The Lynshey is now sold, so it’ll be around £1200 for another..

It’s a tough call. I’m going to have a real cloase look at Enigma, Sabbath, VN, Lynskey, and any others anyone deems worthy.

paul78
    Free Member

What size you looking for ???

I am expecting any day soon a Cube Super HPC Litening warranty replacement I would like to sell … 58cm .. more like a 56cm…

This is Cubes top end frame not available to buy frame only usually.

foxyrider
    Free Member

I have both – Tarmac SL2 and a Kinesis Ti Granfondo (both frame only sale items I might add 🙂 ) – the Ti is lovely and comfy but the SL2 up the hills and on the flat is an out and out blast – for long rides 100+ however I prefer the Ti esp on bad roads etc 🙂

slimjim78
    Free Member

What size you looking for ???

I am expecting any day soon a Cube Super HPC Litening warranty replacement I would like to sell … 58cm .. more like a 56cm…

erm.. im looking for a 58 that’s more like a 56… Got a linky?

slimjim78
    Free Member

I have both – Tarmac SL2 and a Kinesis Ti Granfondo

Oh, I forgot to check out the latest Kenesis frames, cheers

slimjim78
    Free Member
    paul78
    Free Member
    mustard
    Free Member

You could have a look on brain farts of a bike tart and see if Rich is still trying to sell his Kinesis. – scratch that, I think it’s sold. I have seen a a few good reviews of it recently.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

£850 for an aluminium frame?

The man from marketing, he say yes!

cynic-al
    Free Member

Weight does not slow you down.

I’d be going for steel or sh ti.

slimjim78
    Free Member

weight does make harder work of hills and getting back up to speed, to a point. Its all relative.

Im looking at sh Ti options at the moment, not too much out there currently by the looks of it..

tinribz
    Free Member

A Mercian Pro lugless would be on my list for that budget. Re longevity I just picked up a columbus steel frame from the 90s and there’s no rust I can see.

853 Pro Team tubing £945 + VAT!!!

Probably not what you would call compact though and no idea of weight.

Edit – they do whatever geo you want, so they should that price.

MrSmith
    Free Member

that’s a retro noodle bike.
    tubing is still small compared to modern frames

check the size of the down tube on this steel condor

oversize deda or columbus spirit either tigged or fillet brazed, leave the lugged stovepipe to retro heads.

slimjim78
    Free Member

I’m liking the idea of oversize fillet brazed steelie..

tricky to get hold of an 853 custom for less than £1000 though, i’d be tempted to save for a while and go for a lovely 953 ant £1500!

oldgit
    Free Member

I’ve recently got my first Ti frame, secondhand though. It’s only an Airborne so not double butted Ti.
    Though it’s old I’m still pretty impressed though I think a lot of it is in the mind…it seems comfortable, it seems pretty stiff and it crashes through potholes without a murmour. And it gives me a sense of security coz it’s metal innit.
    Overall conclusion;
    Stiffer than my old PX SL Pro.
    Comfier than the old Pro.
    Lighter than the steel frame I wanted.
    Heavier than my carbon racer.
    Overall a good choice for a fast riding bike.

Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)

The topic ‘Darkside frame Q – budget Ti or half decent carbon suggestions please’ is closed to new replies.