• This topic has 14 replies, 12 voices, and was last updated 9 years ago by TiRed.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Darkside curiosity…
  • aphex_2k
    Free Member

In the process of swapping my hardtail for a Cannondale CAAD10 105. New to road riding so totally new experience for me. Looks a nice bike, just wondered if there’s any owners here? Decent entry bike?

Rorschach
    Free Member

Might have been better of looking at a Synapse tbh unless you are particularly bendy.

taxi25
    Free Member

Might have been better of looking at a Synapse tbh unless you are particularly bendy.

Not everyone who posts on here is a fat inflexible biffer 😉
    Its a great bike you’ll love it. 😀

ceepers

Great bike, you don’t need to be that bendy

Rorschach
    Free Member

Or don’t mind a stack of spacers.Just saying for a first road bike I would’ve probably recommended something a bit more relaxed.
    The CAAD10 is a cracking bike (one of the best ali race framesets about).

mrblobby
    Free Member

Great bike if you like to go fast. Just get some decent advice on sizing. Don’t worry about having a stack of spacers, can lower as you get use to it.

uwe-r
    Free Member

Ive got a synapse as a first road bike, beautiful frame. as above it may be better suited to non competitive riding but you will know your fitness level / type of riding you intend to do!

connect2

Also might be worth seeking out your local club to see if you enjoy group riding. I just went out with my mate at first and it seemed all work and no play. Being surrounded by a group weirded me out to begin with but there’s a certain satisfaction in zipping along 6″ behind somebody’s back wheel sharing the work and keeping formation

It’ll never beat the satisfaction of clearing a gnarly descent of course 😉

fatyowls
    Free Member

I ride off and on road, learnt a lot over 6 years road riding. The thing to right is the size frame and then experiment with what’s right for you bar width stem length seatpost height, and god the last but defo not least is the right saddle your arse will be agony if you get it wrong.
    If you have a friendly bike shop they put you right, but just enjoy covering loads of miles discovering new lanes, and if you get the bug for the road an empty wallet.

Waderider
    Free Member

I used to work in a road shop selling Cervelos and Cannondales amongst others. I was always amazed by the ride quality of the CAAD10, as good as the best carbon I recall. Test ride it and see.

aphex_2k
    Free Member

Hi all…

The CAAD10 is the only option as I put an ad up asking if anyone wanted to swap a road bike for my hardtail. I’m 6’1″ and he’s got a 58cm bike which looks rather nice (white, think it’s a 2014)

Anyways, I’m heading over Tuesday night to have a look and he can look at my hardtail. We’ve agreed that value is similar so lets see what heppens.

Bregante

Nice bikes but I’m also 6’1 and found the 58 too big for me (had a 56 caad8 which was spot on)

aphex_2k
    Free Member

Thanks Bregante, worth knowing. I’m tall, long arms/legs but relatively short torso. I’ll have a look and see how it fits.

The other alternative is keep the hardtail, go rigid on the front and stick some puncture proof commuter tyres on. Be a shame to see this bike go but it’s just not getting any off road time at all and just being used to travel 10 mins to and from work each day. It’s a bit overkill in its current state but my way of thinking is if I had a road bike I could at least do some km’s at home on the trainer once the kids are settled.

rOcKeTdOg

6ft2 here & I’d ride a 56cm cannondale, they size up big. Get a sit on it first if you can

TiRed

Fantastic bike. Forget “entry”, this is one of the finest alloy frames period. I know a rider who owns a CAAD10 and a Super Six Evo. He admits, weight aside, he can’t really tell them apart – they have the same geometry and finishing kit.

Buy with confidence, but care – they come up quite big by traditional sizing – I ride a 54 Cannondale but am bang on 56 cm in old school measurements.

105 11-speed is very nice and all you need. Swap the tyres for some Schwalbe Ones immediately. Then just enjoy the ride.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘Darkside curiosity…’ is closed to new replies.