Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Darkside – Condor Bikes. Looking at a Squadra. Any views?
  • brooess
    Free Member

Currently own a Specialized Allez Elite. Lovely bike but would like something with better shifting and a more efficient ride – letting me ride a little harder, for longer and further. Typical rides at the moment are 70-75 and I did my first Century last week so looking for long distance comfort and unlikely really to ever race.

Looking to spend up to £2k but from a quick look at the mainstream brands (Specialized/Trek) they're giving carbon frames for this price but low groupsets (105). When I tried a Cannondale it felt too long and stretched out, hence I went for the Specialized with compact geometry. I really like the idea that Condor effectively custom build for you too rather than having to take what I'm given. With fit being so key on a road bike this is pretty important.

Anyone ride a Condor bike, have any thoughts? Should I do things the 'proper' way and test ride a few brands or should I just go to Condor and take advantage of their service? Any thoughts about any of the above are welcome

Ta

BigDummy
    Free Member

I bought a Condor a couple of years ago, an Italia. They spent about an hour measuring and speccing it with me, and when I collected it it fitted perfectly. The only adjustment I have made to it was to drop the seat 5mm (as they'd assumed I would be using road cleats I think). I've ridden that bike many hundreds of miles and it has been absolutely fantastic.

They may be marketing to a certain variety of poseur but they are definitely pretty good at building very decent racing bikes. Cleaerly they don't compete spec for price with some makes, but (for me at least) the total absence of hassle and the fact that the resulting bike was flawless made it well worth while. 🙂

Ed2001
    Free Member

Should be a great frame it's deda em2 tubing so will be very light and stiff.

racefaceec90

i have just seen this http://www.chargebikes.com/products/bikes/detail.php?id=21 .£1199.99. i am actually going to get one of these,over the anthem x4 i was paying towards. it might do what you want comfort/long distance. that's the plan for me anyhoo when i can afford one.

MrBlond
    Free Member

Very similar experience to BigDummy here – you're clearly paying a bit of premium for the condor badge, but the fitting was what made it worthwhile, plus you can spec whatever kit you want.

Not sure what the current squadra is made of, but my 2007 scandium / carbon rear end frame is light years ahead of the alu frame that preceded it.

Weak link remains the rider :-/

njee20
    Free Member

Except that Charge has the same group as the Trek/Spesh, but a much much much heavier frame…

Condor is a really impressive shop, go in and chat to them would be my advice. Or try and get a good deal on sommat. Friend of mine picked up a 2009 Pinarello FP3 for not much more than your budget, all Ultegra and stuff, very nice.

MrSmith
    Free Member

if you buy a condor you can spec any changes you want such as better wheels or having dura-ace shifters with ultegra mechs or omit parts if you want. you will also be fitted properly. you may get a cheaper bike elsewhere but then spend more changing parts because it doesn't fit properly.
    i would buy from condor over ordering something over the internet or being sold a bike by a grom who needs a haircut and knows nothing about road bikes.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘Darkside – Condor Bikes. Looking at a Squadra. Any views?’ is closed to new replies.