Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Darkside: Cold thumbs on drop bars
  • organic355
    Free Member

Pretty chilly this morning and my thumbs were frozen.

Think this is due to their forward pointing position when your hands are on the hoods of drop bars.

The rest of my fingers were cosy enough in my altura night vision gloves, just wondered if anyone else had this problem with thumbs on drop bars and how to solve it?

Are handlebar mitts the only option? Anyone make a thumb cozy?

warton
    Free Member

never had that problem tbh, all my fingers get equally cold. pair of thin undergloves normally solves the problem for me

aracer
    Free Member

Personally I find not calling it “darkside” helps a lot with keeping my extremities warm.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    oldgit
    Free Member

Probably just your gloves getting tight. I get the same with my index fingers. Just loosening the glove helps.

organic355
    Free Member

Personally I find not calling it “darkside” helps a lot with keeping my extremities warm.

Only doing what everyone seems to do on here, sorry im just not down with the lingo. never understood it myself, but this is an MTB forum afterall?

rootes1

these look like a good solution and same sort of cost as gloves etc

http://www.ajbikeequipment.com/page2.htm

soobalias
    Free Member

ive found similar on my commutes, trying to ride with the coldest bits positioned in the lee created by the bars.

doesnt help, but its a mind trick.

Philby

Get some silk inner gloves from somewhere like Millets

speaker2animals

+1 for glove liners with a note of caution – if they make the overall fit tight you may find it worse than without the liner.

It could be your position on the bars. Have you tried changing your “grip” around as you ride. I went out with my club in the bitter cold before X-mas. On one part of the ride my fingers were cold and my thumbs were fine, then later fingers good, thumbs bad. I find that if riding on quiet roads and not racing a good position to minimise hand pressure is to ride with the fleshy part of your palm in contact with the bar and fingers and thumb almost making a loose fist so your thumb joint isn’t taking any pressure. Not sure How well I have described that, hope you understand what I mean.

Some of the coldness felt in extremities when cycling is down to pressure and restricted blood flow.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘Darkside: Cold thumbs on drop bars’ is closed to new replies.