Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Darkside Carbon fork Q's
  • slimjim78
    Free Member

I’ve just picked up a Ti Pro frame in the current Planet X sale. I’ve been riding an SL Pro for the last couple years with a PX carbon fork which I never had issue with, but ive seen reviewers stating that this fork isn’t the stiffest.

As a heavy rider without much carbon road fork experience, which alternative forks should I be looking at for the same budget as the PX? (£100). Max budget £150.
    Obviously needs to be a non-integrated headset type(i presume?) as its going on to a Ti frame.

The Easton EC70 looks a safe bet, any experience of this or other suggestions?

cynic-al
    Free Member

What’s the extent of the reviews?

Given the amount of guff written by punters online, the fact that carbon forks are generally stiff, and the unlikelihood of PX selling a turkey, I wouldn’t necessarily give it much heed.

Why hot try them and see?

matthew_h
    Free Member

Might be worth checking out Kinesis forks.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    slimjim78
    Free Member

Why hot try them and see?

I’ve been using the same PX pair for a while and found them really good.
    My question was more down to my inexperience. Im wondering if for the same money I can find a stiffer better tracking fork – for which I would notice an improved difference whilst riding?

I don’t have much experience when it comes to road bikes/forks.

oldgit
    Free Member

I have a good look at the Columbus Minimal. It should fall between budgets.
    It also uses a standard headset, so aesthetics are taken care of as well.

aP
    Free Member

I would just keep riding what you’ve got. See how it goes and then at the end of the you can change if you feel that they’re not stuff enough. I reckon that if you did a double blind test using different fork 99% of riders wouldn’t notice the difference.

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

Yes, the px forks are quite flexy I thought. It never really bothered me though, but after swapping to a fork with a tapered steerer it was definitely noticable.

cynic-al
    Free Member

Fair enough, my carbon forks are stiff enough that I wouldn’t be looking to upgrade them for £150!

STATO
    Free Member

A bad carbon fork can ruin the ride of a nice frame. I went from a Reynolds Ouzo pro to an Easton 90 SL (not the superlight SLX) and it was SO much better, and the Ouzo is a good fork. All carbon forks are not the same, you need to get one that matches the feel of your frame, this may take some testing tho (ebay is your friend).

Afteral, youve just dropped what, £600 on a frame for a better ride, and that only supports your arse, why wouldnt you spend some money on good forks/bars and get a better ride for your hands?

slimjim78
    Free Member

cool

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Darkside Carbon fork Q's’ is closed to new replies.