Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Darkside- Brakes: BB7 Road, or Shimano 105?
  • pinetree
    Free Member

As above really. Anyone used both? Opinions on either of em?

They’re to pair with 105 mechanical levers, so can’t go down the hydraulic route, and can’t really be bothered with the half’n’half systems offered by some brakes.

Cheers!

antigee

depends on how often you ride in the wet

my 2cents
    BB7 disk -good in wet even if howl a bit, can grab a bit, cable run is important can be a pain to set up/maintain
    no issues on rim wear

105 rim – easy to set up, inconsistent in rain, rim wear, thousands can’t be wrong

got rid of my BB7’s and went to the half n half TRP’s fantastic

tobymc

BB’s and 105 levers plus compressionless cables is excellent.

ransos
    Free Member

I’ve just ordered a set TRP Spyres and Jagwire compressionless cable.

cynic-al
    Free Member

I’ve used both – adjustment on BB7 is nicer, braking power – I can’t tell a difference.

cookeaa

After my first 100 or so miles with BB5-Road I’m quietly impressed with them, not sure how different the BB7 is TBH, different Pad isn’t it, and a little extra adjustment too…

I also looked at the R317 (Sora), R517 (105/tiagra?) and CX77 (Ultegra?), Hayes CX pro and BB7’s… lots of options at different price points.

There’s certainly a lot more choice about now for Road/CX mechanical discs than there was only a year ago, TRP do seem quite pricey relative to what all the others are offering…

brassneck

Have HY/RD but they are overkill on the road bits – normal Spyres seem the sweet spot. More consistent than callipers and don’t wear your rims out. Come into their own off road, the modulation seems more useful there.

TRP do seem quite pricey relative to what all the others are offering…

Dual piston movement innit. They do seem better than the BB7s I’ve tried (but not lived with for any length of time), but not sure how much you save on BB7s?

ANyone know what pads the Spyres ship with? I’m thinking organic might be the way to go on them, they seem to be sintered.

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

Have recently fitted Spyres to a bike I’ve built for a mate. They were relatively straight forward to set up since both pistons can be adjusted independently of each other. I have yet to try them on the road, but the lever feel is pretty positive (not spongey); I used Jagwire Ripcord cables and made sure the ends were cut dead square.

I can’t imagine they’ll be any more powerful than well set up Avids/Shimanos etc. But they’re lighter, lower profile and easy to adjust so the extra twenty quid over the alternatives was worth it.

The only issue is the brake arm sits very close to the spokes on the Mavic Aksium wheels; I just ordered a spacer for the rotor today to fix this issue. This isn’t a problem on my Hunt wheels though.

HTH

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘Darkside- Brakes: BB7 Road, or Shimano 105?’ is closed to new replies.