Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Darkside bike for friend ~£500?
  • sam_underhill

A mate of mine asked if I knew of any deals about on a road bike. It’ll to help fitness and budget is pretty tight. Anyone know of any bargains out there at the moment?

alwyn
    Free Member

Second hand. You can get a very nice carbon or top end alloy for that.

sam_underhill

That’s more or less what I said to him. Of course there is the next problem then… that he knows nothing about bikes. doh.

alwyn
    Free Member

You can’t go far wrong with a top end alloy or carbon; Giant, Spesh,terk, ‘dale or Planet x.

Make sure it’s a decent frame, for that sort of money you’d be looking at American design Taiwanese produced. Got a good shimano, campag or sram group set some decent factory wheels and fits correctly.

alwyn
    Free Member

clicky

Something along those lines.

sam_underhill

that sort of thing will do him perfectly I’d imagine. thanks.

grumm
    Free Member

Got a medium Planet X Superlight Alu frame and Deda Carbon forks for sale. Email in profile if interested.

rolfharris
    Free Member

Trek 1.2C if you can find one. Very good value for money, 2 of the guys in the shop have them.

21lbs, full 9spd Sora, Bontrager wheels and kit. Carbon fork too.

http://www.google.co.uk/products?hl=en&q=trek+1.2&um=1&ie=UTF-8&ei=PIctSoLVEtWZjAeM3JG_DQ&sa=X&oi=product_result_group&resnum=1&ct=title

Alternatively my girlfriend has a Giant Avail 3 which has been flawless and gets a nicer frame- the Defy 3 is the equivalent. It’s really nice but looks a bit shit.

http://www.google.co.uk/products?hl=en&q=giant+defy+3&um=1&ie=UTF-8&ei=goctSqKzBtWZjAeK3JG_DQ&sa=X&oi=product_result_group&resnum=1&ct=title

I wouldn’t buy s/h if they’re new to it- shop back up and warranty can be really helpful.

tinribz
    Free Member

Got a new 2009 spesh allez for not much more recently, very pleased with it. Had never ridden a road bike before but am doing 30 mile Sunday rides no probs.

I scoured ebay but the prices for second hand are way high, reckon everyone’s looking for a bargain.

Parts on the Allez are a little entry level (Sora) but perform fine and the frame is worth upgrading on. Only regret is I wish I’d got a triple for the big hills.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘Darkside bike for friend ~£500?’ is closed to new replies.