• This topic has 19 replies, 16 voices, and was last updated 6 years ago by Spin.
Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • Darkest Hour
  • CheesybeanZ

Watched it this afternoon . Gary Oldman is superb , 2 hours flew by and I’m neither a Churchill nor a www2 fan .

CheesybeanZ

Anyone else seen it yet ?

rOcKeTdOg

No spoilers!

budgierider67

There’s a good History Extra podcast here with the writer discussing the established perception of Churchill.

Kuco

2 hours long 😯 sod that, can you tell me did we win?

wilburt
    Free Member

yes and no

mefty
    Free Member

A friend says it is the pick of the films up for awards, he is lending me the DVD next week.

tripsterpete
    Free Member

Super excited to see it. Trailer looks good!

muppetWrangler
    Free Member

May not be historically accurate.
    [video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=56ZqI030a7c[/video]

wrightyson
    Free Member

he is lending me the DVD next week

Is your “friend” on the selection panel?

jonba
    Free Member

Best film I’ve seen all year 😉

Really was good though, I liked the idea of portraying Churchill as more human and less as the confident, self assured person often depicted in public.

The siege of Calais part showed the kind of awful decisions that must have been made throughout his leadership. Not something I could imagine having to do or coping with.

bikebouy
    Free Member

Does the film touch on the subject of Operation Vegetarian, where in 1942 the British were developing an offensive to drop Anthrax on German fields to infect all thier crops?

MrWoppit
    Free Member

I’ll watch it, but there’s a scene where Churchill apparently gets on the tube train because he wants the opinions of the public?!!

Pure Hollywood hokum. Never happened but they just couldn’t help themselves.

Oh well. At least it’s not quite as silly as saying Ben Affleck won the Battle of Britain or it was the Yanks who got hold of the Enigma machine…

mefty
    Free Member

Is your “friend” on the selection panel?

Yes, but there are approximately 6,500 members so it is not that exclusive.

Spin
    Free Member

Jesus that was dull. Walked out after a bit more than an hour. If you’re going to make a dialogue driven film it might be an idea to actually write some dialogue.

jon1973
    Free Member

it was the Yanks who got hold of the Enigma machine

Haha yes. When it was actually captured a few months before the Americans even entered the war. Still, that’s history now for the MTV generation.

mefty
    Free Member

Haha yes. When it was actually captured a few months before the Americans even entered the war.

Well the early versions were secured before the beginning of the War and the Poles were the first to make significant breakthroughs, which caused us to change our whole approach.

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Jesus that was dull. Walked out after a bit more than an hour. If you’re going to make a dialogue driven film it might be an idea to actually write some dialogue.

You watched a different film to me. Maybe you should stick to action movies from now on?

curto80
    Free Member

The scene on the tube was farcical. Just cringeworthy.

Spin
    Free Member

You watched a different film to me. Maybe you should stick to action movies from now on?

I guess if you were a Churchill/Oldman fanboy or hanker after the good old days of empire you’d probably find it pretty gripping.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

The topic ‘Darkest Hour’ is closed to new replies.