Viewing 22 posts - 41 through 62 (of 62 total)
  • Dark side, your real world experience please….
  • iainc

^^ how will discs make a bike feel more sluggish ?

Bez

I disagree, you may not get a tangible benefit, but it’ll be nicer to ride, and that’s just as important.

Maybe. “Nicer” is massively subjective, of course. I’ve not ridden a CAAD8 myself but I’ve had a CAAD5 and a CAAD9 and although I dind’t put so many miles on the former (first road bike, bought a size too small, doh) I certainly can’t fault the latter: handles quickly and precisely, constantly wants to go faster, yet I’ve spent over 24 hours on it without discomfort. So, to paraphrase you: It might be nicer 🙂

ceepers

my original plan was to upgrade the groupset soon then to buy a suitably niche brand frame later this year and port the bits over.

The advent of discs and my positive experience of using them has sort of confused me. where i live you DEFINATELY need to brake, 20% blind corners on slightly iffy road surfaces are not uncommon

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    dragon
    Free Member

Sluggish as they add a significant portion of rotating weight. Plus they are less aero (albeit that’s not such an issue). If you are riding 20% gradients down then at some point you have to come back up, and then the weight matters.

So your missus is happy on calipers and you need discs 😉

ceepers

i’m in touch with my feminine side!

she tends to be going half the speed to start with downhill…

Bez

Braking efficacy isn’t the biggest benefit of discs in my book. Never wearing out rims is a pretty compelling one, but my favourite thing about them by far is the fact that the bike doesn’t get covered with horrible black brake sludge. Reflective tyre walls keep reflecting, cleaning is easier and barely ever needs doing at all, and you don’t get your hands and gloves and clothes turned black with foul pervasive filth when you have to fix a puncture.

brooess
    Free Member

A useful trick to play on yourself with a road bike is to buy one that’s slightly above your level as a rider, such that you look a bit ATGWNI on it ie: it’s a light, fast bike but you’re not so fast.
    Let your ego take over, feel like an idiot who’s overspent and ride it all the time till you can ride fast enough to justify such a nice and expensive bike…

a) you’ve got a nice bike
    b) you’re fitter than a butcher’s dog – win win 🙂

btw I’m a Condor lover – I have two and they’re beautiful bikes to ride. If I needed another bike I’d def be looking at an Acaccio

orangeboy
    Free Member

The calipers that are part of the new 11 speed groups from shimano are a lot better than most others and have made me think far longer about road discs.

Still have the rim wear issues though

Oh and I’m no faster on my early 1980s steel bike than my modern ti best bike

boblo
    Free Member

Speed is not the currency. The OP wants convincing buying a new bike is the right thing, he’s just fretting over discs or not. Solution? Buy a nice bike with disks and buy a nice conventional road bike with calipers.

There now. DONE! n+ is always the correct answer 🙂

joeegg
    Free Member

I have 3 road bikes and the biggest difference in ride quality is between the 2 aluminium bikes. My higher end aluminium one is pretty close in ride feel to my Scott carbon.The carbon one does come up lighter though.

mrblobby
    Free Member

Speed is not the currency.

But the OP says…

I want to race my mates or strava times.

Surely beating your mates on Strava is the number 1 priority here and everyone knows a shiny new bike is faster than the one you currently ride 🙂

ceepers

I’m fretting on everything!

This probably all sounds confused. Speed is kind of the currency, like i said, i’m not going to be entering races but i’m a competitive sort of person.

if i’m out on a road bike i want to feel like i’m going fast, i want to try and keep up with my very fit roadie mates and kick the asses of my less fit mates, i want to feel like i’m getting fitter which in the context of only being able to go for fairly short rides a lot of the time, means going faster. I dont ride my road bike to cruise and smell the flowers so i’m not after comfort at the expense of speed i already have. I like climbing hills, i like coming down them fast.

i know that what i would ideally want is something carbon, di2, racey and with discs but, there arent many bikes like that around and they are all going to be over budget so where do i make the compromise?

Is it staying with alu instead of carbon maybe with discs, is it decent calipers from a better groupset and carbon, is weight important, is it really just that i want a bike that i think is “cooler” (probably!) and that there isnt really a huge measurable performance benefit to changing anything?

For the record i’m 5’6 and 60kg so i’m not big and i’m not that slow

Bez

“if i’m out on a road bike i want to feel like i’m going fast”

Pedal harder?

Half-facetious, half serious. One slightly odd example: if you’ve currently got a compact, for some unknown reason I find a 52-53 big ring makes a road bike sing where a 48-50 doesn’t. Might be purely psychological, but a standard just seems to be happier a little faster. YMMV.

mrblobby
    Free Member

I’m sure you know this but the only things you can work on that’ll really make you go faster are position/aero, power and your weight. New bike is marginal.

is it really just that i want a bike that i think is “cooler” (probably!) and that there isnt really a huge measurable performance benefit to changing anything?

Yes.

fasthaggis

Well,I fell for the red light sabres and some of their capes were ‘well cool’ ,but once I heard what they had done to all those young Jedi,I was sickened.
    That was my last day with the dark side.

slowpuncheur
    Free Member

In answer to your question, I would go carbon and Di2 above discs. If you are 60kg, the real braking advantage of discs will be modulation rather than power. Rose bikes are doing some good deals.

Modern calipers have more than enough power. The weight difference of discs v non discs on a small frame (assuming you ride a small frame at 5’6”) is greater proportionally than on a larger frame given that the kit is the same and the mods to strengthen the frame to take calipers will be about the same.

If you want to go faster I would say ‘pedal faster’ rather than ‘pedal harder’

Dibbs
    Free Member

You hardly need to brake on a nice road bike.

Not ridden Exmoor much then. 😯

bobster
    Free Member

2.5k max

i know that what i would ideally want is something carbon, di2, racey and with discs

OK, it’s a bit mainstream but perhaps:

Baaaa

Or drop the Di2 and stretch your budget a little for the 105/Hydro build of one of those Masons you like:

Hmm, link doesn’t look right on the preview, so copy and past this into your browser:

http://us9.campaign-archive1.com/?u=e86461b63dea84030f145a4db&id=7a337087d7

mooman
    Free Member

By the time you wear a rim brake wheel out (3yrs av with wet riding) you are looking for a valid reason/excuse for better/faster wheels anyways.

njee20
    Free Member

Who said it’s 3 years to wear a rim brake out? Surely that’ll depend on how much you ride… 😕

mooman
    Free Member

Rims on winter bike lasted 3 yrs.
    I prob do a bit more miles than your average STW-ers though.

davosaurusrex

Haven’t read the whole thread but what is your budget OP? Because this looks incredible VFM, ticks all the boxes. My brother is about to order one, git.

http://www.rosebikes.co.uk/bike/rose-xeon-cdx-3100-di2/aid:756129?bikevariantchanged=756153

Viewing 22 posts - 41 through 62 (of 62 total)

The topic ‘Dark side, your real world experience please….’ is closed to new replies.