Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 62 total)
  • Dark side, your real world experience please….
  • ceepers

To set the scene……

I’ve got a alu caad8 with sora and nice light wheelset (1600g). My wife has a carbon giant with ultegra that is about a kilo lighter. Every time I get it out of the garage I have a little pang of jealousy……

I’m talking myself into a new bike, either complete or frame and new groupset. 2.5k max or half that ish if it’s frame only. I’ll never race but if I’m on the road bike ( not the steel cx I have) I want to race my mates or strava times. Mostly it’s 20-30 mile rides with the odd 50-60 when I have time, maybe I’ll commit to a sportive this year. I’ve never found my caad8 uncomfortable. I live on the edge of exmoor so climbing is important.

So, how much feel/comfort difference will a carbon frame make?

Is there much point to just upgrading the groupset on my existing bike? To ultegra say?

Is “sportive geometry” going to feel/be slower than my caad8’s performance geometry? The stem has a couple of spacers below it anyway.

I like niche brands rather than mainstream, stuff like Condor or Ritte or those new Mason bikes appeal more than another giant defy.

I’m maybe tempted by discs, I’ve done some of the exmoor descents on both road and my steel disc cx bike with road tyres on recently. Even cable discs felt like they had much more control and stopping power.

Thoughts please?!

Thanks in advance.

mlke
    Free Member

You can have as much fun on a 10 year old bike as a new one.
    But it sounds like you’ve a spending itch so buy a nice discable frame and have fun upgrading with whizzy toys over the next year

Bez

Having had 8 road bikes over the years… There’s a lot of fluff talked about minute differences. If you’re doing certain things you’ll get justifiably obsessive about something: time trialling and aero, climbing and weight, distance and comfort. But for the majority I can’t believe they’re really a big deal.

If you’re knocking out 20-60 miles and not competing, you’re not realistically going to get any gain at all over a CAAD8 with half decent wheels.

But hey, like I said, I’ve got through 8 of the things. Having a nicer bike isn’t going to make your life much better, but there is of course only one way to establish the truth of that statement 🙂

(FWIW, I find 2.5kg of extra bike weight plus a dynohub costs me 2 minutes over my 30 mile commute route. 1kg alone would, I guess, save you a handful of seconds.)

Discs do rock, though (but they’ll eat into that 1kg) – so yeah, do it 🙂

Bregante

I moved from a caad8 to a carbon frame (Ribble) last year.

Hasn’t made a blind bit of difference to my performance.

stevious

My thoughts:
    – I can definitely feel the difference in ride quality between most carbon frames I’ve tried and the alloy bikes I’ve had. Have never ridden a really high quality alloy frame like the CAAD8 though. The stiffness of the frame certainly makes it feel faster, which is far more important than actually being faster.
    – Whatever geometry you feel most comfortable at will feel/be faster. The advantage of an aero position is less important than feeling fresh on the bike for longer.
    – The newer groupsets are really nice. I have new 105 on the cross bike and new Ultegra on the road bike and I’d go for 105 unless the ultegra deal was REALLY good.

TiRed

You have a CAAD8 with spacers. That is most definitely “sportive geometry” I’m afraid – the headtube on the CAAD8 is rather long already. The only non-sportive aspect is the 73 degree head angle. The CAAD8 frame is about as good as alloy gets, and with a carbon seatpost and bars, will have all the comfort attributes and stiffness of a decent carbon frame.

For proper improvements, fit some decent really lihweight wheels, Ksyrium Elites or lighter, replace the tyres and tubes with some latex and Schwalbe Ones, lose almost a kilo with other upgrades and trust me, the bike will be more than competitive. You might like to upgrade to 105 11 speed to cope with two extra cogs for the hills of Exmoor. An 11-28 cassette will give a good range with the compact chainset.

Now the disclaimer. Teen1 is currently sat on his Tiagra CAAD8 in the garage. I upgraded the wheels (Ksyriums and carbon deep sections), swapped to a full carbon fork, and some of the groupset to Ultegra and took it racing last year. It is an amazing ride. And this is comparing it with my highest spec Defy Advanced SL and a Giant Propel Advanced. I like the two carbon frames more, but they don’t make me (much) faster, and they aren’t really a lot more comfortable. I still enjoy ridign the CAAD8 as a winter bike.

ceepers

That’s sort of what I thought bout the spacers/ geometry. Guess it’s really do I want discs (& a weight penalty) or a shiny new bike? Sounds like the discs would make the only discernible riding difference over upgrading what I have

I’ve already got good tyres (vittoria open corsa) a 28 cassette and carbon bars and seat post, maybe I’ll look at 105 for now

timba
    Free Member

Let’s say that you with your bike weigh 100kg. You save 1kg, that’s 1%
    That 1% will cost £?
    It didn’t stop me buying an Ultegra-equipped best bike though 🙂

mooman
    Free Member

It is often (correctly) said, that a good Alu frame is better than a bad carbon frame.
    A lighter bike does make a difference, but the weight difference needs to be significant to really feel it.
    As for changing group sets. I recently needed new shifters, I decided on 11s 105 … and they are superb. The weight difference of them & ultegra is not a lot, and I can not imagine ultegra performing any better either.
    And as for disk brakes on a road bike. Stopping power is mostly decided by the amount of grip you got … 23/25/28mm tyres don’t offer a lot. I can put myself over the bars with the calliper brakes already … disk just seem over kill.

That said though. Any excuse for a new bike.

oldgit
    Free Member

For 2.5k you can buy great bikes. It’s not a tricky price break amount.

Spur of the moment ideas? Genesis stainless, Campag groupset nice wheels.
    Or
    Giant TCR best model I could buy.

njee20
    Free Member

If you’re knocking out 20-60 miles and not competing, you’re not realistically going to get any gain at all over a CAAD8 with half decent wheels.

I disagree, you may not get a tangible benefit, but it’ll be nicer to ride, and that’s just as important.

antigee

mrs antigee has always had a better road bike than me – I built up a cx/drop bar hybrid/adventure tourer a few years ago and sold my road bike.

Mrs antigee does pretty much the same training loops with local club every weekend and then the odd challenge event
    I enjoy disappearing off down dirt tracks I’ve spotted along the way or joined up on google maps – sometimes I look at nice shiny road bikes and then remember the money will pay for a couple of nice trips to ride my CX somewhere new

rOcKeTdOg

it’s a new bike, just do it!

grenosteve
    Free Member

It’s hard to justify logically (I’ve tried on many occasions!), so don’t try looking for advantages.

If you want a new bike, get one just because you want one.

It’ll feel nice and new (which is a bonus) and will make you ride it more, but it will still do the same job as your current (very nice) bike at the end of the day…

dknwhy

I think you’ll be able to feel the difference. I’ve had a carbon Viner, alu/carbon Allez and Planet X Nanolight before my current Scott Addict R15.
    They all were good to ride but the Scott is a different class. Is lighter to ride, climbs well and it feels like every bit of power goes through the wheels. Got a great deal on it through Winstanleys.
    Spec was relatively similar to my Planet X but the frame quality feels so much better/more agile.

lunge

It’s hard to justify logically (I’ve tried on many occasions!), so don’t try looking for advantages.

If you want a new bike, get one just because you want one.

It’ll feel nice and new (which is a bonus) and will make you ride it more, but it will still do the same job as your current (very nice) bike at the end of the day.
    Basically, this. I’m in a similar boat to you in that I have a well loved alu frame that is perfect for what I ride. But a carbon, Di2 itch is still there and wants/needs to be scratched.

I’ve given up trying to justify it bar saying “I ride bikes lots, I can afford it, I want it”.

Pawsy_Bear
    Free Member

Once you try carbon I don’t think anyone would go back to alloy.

mrblobby
    Free Member

It’s easy to justify. Everyone surely needs at least two road bikes, a training bike and a best bike (and a race bike too if that’s your thing.)

I’d prefer a quality alu frame to a budget carbon frame. I think most people that say the above have just gone from a budget alloy bike to a half decent carbon bike and not ridden the best that both have to offer. And FWIW I reckon choice of finishing kit (wheels, post, etc.) makes a bigger difference than whether the frame is made of carbon or alu.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

I’ve got a CAAD4, never owned a carbon bike but ridden a few and while they’re nice they’re not nice enough to justify the expense.

I bought some 2nd hand drivetrain bits, built some <1300g wheels, and new finishing kit, got it down to the UCI weight limit (not that that’s important it was just a target) and it’s very nice. If you’re happy with the frame, keep it.

If you’ve currently got SORA I’d get a 2nd hand 7800 groupset off ebay and spend some money on nice saddle, seatpost, bars and stem, it’s pretty much what I did.

iainc

^^^as earlier above, keep the current bike as is and use it for winter/foul days and buy the one you want. If it’s new and shiny and carbon and blingy it will definitely feel faster !. Assuming you can afford it, life’s too short 🙂

TiRed

The quote is “Once you’ve gone black, there’s no going back”. That said, I’d take a CAAD10 over a Planet X or Merlin or Ribble any day of the week. I know someone who has a CAAD10 and a Supersix Evo. Apart from a half a kilo in weight, he can’t really tell the difference. (rest of the kit is the same). Some alloy frames are that good.

The CAAD8 frame, whilst not having the beautiful filed US-made welds of that CAAD4, does have a nice high front end – only bike I’ve ever slammed!, good geometry and is the best alloy frame this side of a CAAD10. The Giant Defy Aluxx SL is another fine frame, with very slightly more relaxed geometry (same head tube length), 72.5 degree head angle. The alloy TCR was an excellent bike, but everyone in the UK wants carbon for £1200 these days. IF someone wants a starter race bike, I recommend a CAAD8.

If you really want disks, that’s a different discussion.

edhornby

I agree with the other posts above – the CAAD8 is a good bike

if you really want to make a dent in the weight / feel of the bike, some good tyres (nice vittoria or veloflex corsa) and latex tubes – new chainset ? this would drop some weight and some would say it improves the feel of the transfer of energy from feet to forward momentum (subjective!). I also prefer proper road pedals and shoes on a road bike rather than MTB spds

khani
    Free Member

If your wife’s bike is a kilo lighter it won’t all be the frame, I’d be surprised if it’s more than 3-400 grams, it’ll mostly be the groupset/ wheels/ finishing kit that does it, and also the frame size, a large frame is heavier than a small frame..
    Just getting a carbon frame and sticking your existing bits on it might end in disappointment from a weight saving viewpoint…

ceepers

Turns out i’m jealous of the shiny new bike and wonderful bike though the caad8 is, owning a cannondale goes against my love of niche/ smaller (cool) brands in life. i started this thread to find out partly if carbon would really make enough difference in feel to justify the spend.

The weight difference is actually closer to half a kilo at the moment, both small frames.i’m not totally hung up on being a weight weenie, part of it is about upgrade-itus and a lifelong love of tinkering/customising/ dialling things in.

the caad 8 is

sora 9 speed but fsa crankset, both as originally specc’d and with xt 11-28 cassette
    original saddle
    carbon seatpost and bars from planet x
    lightweight planet x stem
    shimano rs80 c24 wheels
    vittoria open corsa clincher tyres
    cheapest shimano road pedals,

it’s about 8.6/8.7 kg on my trusty digital luggage scale.

Sounds honestly like the only real reason for a frame change is to make myself feel more excited about the bike – at the moment it’s still the £800 starter bike underneath in my eyes.

i should probably look at putting on 105/ultegra in the short term, which i probably will notice some improvements in feel from.

lunge

A cheap groupset from Ribble, new 105 for instance which is generally held as being astonishingly good for the money and some new wheels may well scratch the upgrade itch as well as making the bike feel a bit “nicer” as well.

ceepers

whats the next step up wheel wise?

dragon
    Free Member

Put a decent groupset on it 105 or Ultegra and get some lighter wheels, new saddle and new bar tape and bingo, a new bike at a third of the cost 😀

Don’t get discs if you want a fast feeling bike as they add a shed load of weight.

madxela
    Free Member

I’m on a CAAD5 with decent wheels, and its done me proud on sportifs and “ultra” stuff as well as pootling about.

It is stiff and a bit harsh on longer rides, but carbon seatpost and double tape have solved that.
    I’m thinking of a carbon fork?

Which is your question..
    Less harsh carbon vs alu
    Safety caliper vs disk brakes
    need new shiny..

🙂

Dibbs
    Free Member

As someone else who rides Exmoor and the Quantocks (road and offroad) I’d say whatever you get, make sure it has disc’s, rim brakes are fine in the summer but it’s so much nicer being able to stop when you want on the other 360 days of the year as well. 😀

nickc

I moved from a caad8 to a carbon frame (Ribble) last year.

Hasn’t made a blind bit of difference to my performance.

I moved from an Old Principia to Ribble 872. and while i’m not appreciably faster, the ride is nicer, it’s a more pleasant place to be, and I don’t have bike jealously of my FWB’s bike.

It’s nice to have nice things

ceepers

Guess i’m confused/musing and have several issues in play.

1st is how much smoother and more comfortable a carbon frame will be since i know the caad8 is a decent alu frame. This is partly because i do like the look of the new mason bikes which are disc but aluminium

http://road.cc/content/news/143362-first-look-mason-progressive-cycles

Which leads into being tempted by the idea of discs, as i mentioned above and in agreement with Dibs, ive done two 6o milers across exmoor in the last couple of weeks, similar routes, one on a steel cx cable disc bike and one on the caad 8, both on schwalbe duranos. i like descending, i really noticed a difference in control with the discs, i nearly had an “oh shit i’m not going to stop moment” coming into porlock on the calipers.

So i guess it’s partly trying to see how much difference the extra weight really makes for speed or tiredness.

thirdly it’s wanting a new shiny and trying to justify it

If i’m honest, generally in life i’m drawn to the fringes of things, i’d always rather buy from a smaller cooler brand than a mainstream giant and have something that is less commonly seen – my mtb’s are cotic and transition. My mate has a gorgeous purple grape colour condor and theres a real sweet one of these in my LBS that appeals

http://rittecycles.com/carbon/vlaanderen-2013/

the caad8 is cannondale and therefore mainstream and was my “starter” roadbike and doesnt excite me in the same way

mrblobby
    Free Member

1st is how much smoother and more comfortable a carbon frame will be since i know the caad8 is a decent alu frame. This is partly because i do like the look of the new mason bikes which are disc but aluminium

Just because it’s made from carbon doesn’t mean it’s going to be smooth, and conversely just because it’s made from aluminium doesn’t mean that it won’t be smooth (though it is all very subjective.) You need to look at what the bike has been designed for. You can buy smooth mile munchers in carbon, steel or aluminium.

iainc

the caad8 is cannondale and therefore mainstream and was my “starter” roadbike and doesnt excite me in the same way

I think you have answered your own question there…

ceepers

Ok maybe i should re-phrase. I dont want a super smooth mile muncher since i rarely do massive mileage and i like to feel like i’m going fast when i ride – there’s not much smoother than the steel frame i have with bigger tyres if i want to cruise.

What i meant i guess is does carbon offer any real world advantage over a good alu frame like the caad8 is and like that mason almost certainly is. Like i said above, the recieved wisdom is “buy an ally starter bike then upgrade to posher carbon bike” how much difference is that really going to make? it seems not a huge amount over what i have. i guess with a couple of upgrades the caad8 will be a very good bike (its not like i think it isnt already) so maybe it comes down to how much i really want to consider disc bikes (many of which have “sportive” geometry hence my question as to how much difference that makes)

and also how much i’m thinking of this to own something that i feel proud of because its a rarer beast, i guess thats the fundamental driver!

STATO
    Free Member

You start off saying you are jealous of her bike as its carbon, and lighter. But then you say you want to add discs and under 2.5k. So do you want the carbon, discs or the weight, you’ll not get all.

ceepers

the jealousy is more about it being a “nicer” bike i guess not specifically the carbon or weight.

Objectively this probably doesnt make much sense which i think is partly down to it being as iainc says above, the caad8 doesnt excite me much!

neilthewheel

One advantage of disc brakes is that you don’t wear your rims out. With the fashion for factory built wheel sets that effectively saves you having to replace your wheels. RS80 is a pretty good wheelset though, worth keeping if they have been looked after.
    I would say the Sora 9 speed groupset is the weak spec on your CAAD 8 and a new 105 or Ultegra would be a nice upgrade.

mrblobby
    Free Member

What i meant i guess is does carbon offer any real world advantage over a good alu frame like the caad8 is and like that mason almost certainly is.

Thing that carbon allows is for the designer to build complex shapes with exact control over how much material goes where. Allows them to build bikes with a ride and weight that would be hard to achieve with alu or steel. A good designer can probably build a bike with a similar feel out of any of those materials but the carbon one is likely to be the lightest. (I’m sure many on here can put it much better than that!)

dragon
    Free Member

One advantage of disc brakes is that you don’t wear your rims out.

Seriously how often does that happen? You hardly need to brake on a nice road bike.

Discs are going to make a bike feel more sluggish. Fine if you are commuting but for your pukka road bike that you want to feel fast, no thanks.

motozulu
    Free Member

Viiiile thread.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 62 total)

The topic ‘Dark side, your real world experience please….’ is closed to new replies.