Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Dark side question – notice the difference between 50mm & 35mm sections?
  • paulevans
    Free Member

A quiet question for those that dabble in the dark art – I did a sportive on Sunday (62 miles around the south lakes). My bike has 50mm section carbon Light Bicycle wheels. Standard ‘v’ type section. Problem was the wind on Sunday was very gusty and I was having to fight the bike. On a couple of occasions I honestly think I was lucky to stay on board!!

Thinking about maybe swapping the 50’s for either Light Bicycle 24’s or perhaps their new 35mm ‘u’ profile rims. My question is whether I’ll notice any significant improvement by dropping from 50mm to 35mm or avoid the risk and just go for th 24’s?

By the way, the Light Bicycle wheels have been great in terms of quality. I’d recommend them..

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

friday was windy, saturday was windy, sunday was windy, monday was windy etc. etc.

Unless you’re only planning on riding your bike on nice days or indoors, just get some cheap alloy wheels for winter

skeff10
    Free Member

I changed from 50mm v shape to 38mm u shape. Generally better all round except for flat out on the flat! More important is a decent braking surface to stop you, otherwise you won, t get the full benefit of riding without being hesitant, especially in the wet.
    I, d recommend 38, s over 50, s for all round. Not nearly as affected by crosswinds either but still pretty aero.

paulevans
    Free Member

Skeff10 – thanks for your post I get what you’re saying regards braking, but I’m running discs so not such a problem. The LB wheels don’t have a braking surface, not that that’s really relevant. I like the look of the LB 35’s – nice and wide (25mm) for a good tyre shape. Might be the way forward, just don’t want to be fighting the bike in anything but still conditions.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

The topic ‘Dark side question – notice the difference between 50mm & 35mm sections?’ is closed to new replies.