Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Dark Side Question
  • Marmite
    Free Member

Road bike sizing? I've always pretty much got the biggest mountain bike a manufacturer makes, but not sure about road bikes.

Aware i'll need to try but was wanting to narrow it down a little first.

Tried a 62cm, height seems fine, though a little stretched. Bradley Wiggins is 6'2" (an inch shorter than me) and he rides a 53cm from what i can see, that's tiny, or is it?

6'3" and 35" inseam if that helps?

Any advice would be great..

john_l
    Free Member

What makes you think Wiggins rides a 53?

Effective top tube is the measurement that's most important – probably something around 58/60cm, but you definitely need to try a few different sizes & for a decent ride if you can. If you're coming from a mountain bike then any road bike is going to feel stretched – trouble is people usually end up buying a frame that's too small for them because of that & then don't get on with it.

Smee
    Free Member

I'm 6'1" with 34" legs, and ride a 58cm Bianchi.

Junkyard
    Free Member

As above you need to be in a low profile on the road bike so you will be feeling stretched (coming the other way you buy frames too big).

quick guide

samuri
    Free Member

53cm is small, Wiggins would look extremely silly on one of those. That's a bike for a 5'8" person. I'm 5'11" and ride a 56 normally. You should be on a 58/60cm It will feel a bit stretched at first and I always feel like I'm perched on a road bike rather than 'in' it like I do on a mountain bike.

Marmite
    Free Member

Junkyard, that guide says 58cm for me, friend has a 59cm he is not using, gonna borrow that and see how it feels…

Seems like according to advice above it will be in the right ballpark at least.

Cheers guys.

thomthumb
    Free Member

that link is a 57.TT

Marmite
    Free Member

Marmite
    Free Member

thomthumb – Member
    that link is a 57.TT

Erm, a what?

Do you mean tht the top tube?
    It is a 53cm frame though c-c right?

reggiegasket
    Free Member

58 or 60, depending on your body dimensions and how long you like your stem and position.

Junkyard
    Free Member

personally think 58 -60 for you depending on your preference
    I have ridden 54 and 56 at 5 10 and both are OK though the shorter has higher seat post longer/stem etc.

Borrow your mates for a few weeks and make sure it does fit and be prepared for it to feel strange and uncomfortable due to the stretch the lack of suspension and 100 psi + tyres.
    Be prepared for some serious speed though.

aP
    Free Member

I'm 5'8" and I ride 56.5cm top tube road bikes, for the last 12 years. I have 2 road bikes of that length and 2 cx bikes which are 55cm top tube.
    Although I haven't really ridden a great deal this year I've ridden tens of thousands of miles on those sized bikes with no issues.
    If I was you I'd go to a good LBS and get measured and ask their advice.

crazy-legs

1) Bradley Wiggins doesn't ride a 53cm, I can guarantee you that.
    2) Even if he did, it makes no difference to you.

You're pretty much my height and inside leg, I ride a 62cm Langster and a 61cm S-Works. My S-Works CX bike is also a 61cm but obviously slightly different geometry to the road bike. The Langster has a semi-compact frame, both the S-Works bikes are compact frames so they look smaller.
    The only way you'll ever know what size you really fit is to go to a decent roadie shop and try a few out for feel, get the advice of a knowledgeable member of staff. Different bike companies may measure slightly differently, it's not uncommon for Brand X 60cm to be = Brand Y 59cm. Top tube length is more important in road biking anyway. You just have to see what feels best for you.

Marmite
    Free Member

Thanks all, i'll see how i get on with the 59cm from my mate and go from there….

john_l
    Free Member

It is a 53cm frame though c-c right?

doesn't necessarily mean it's a "53" – as with mtbs, road bikes vary in how they're measured.

glenp
    Free Member

God knows why bike are measured by seat tube. Saddles go up and down.

As you start to look around make a note of effective top tube length (and stem) and get a feel for the stretch that's right for you. As a rough guide, when you are riding on the front of the hoods (ie hands fully on the hoods) the top of the bars should obscure the front axle.

Marmite
    Free Member

glenp – Member
    As a rough guide, when you are riding on the front of the hoods (ie hands fully on the hoods) the top of the bars should obscure the front axle.

Handy tip, thanks.

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘Dark Side Question’ is closed to new replies.