Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Dark side help
  • stilltortoise
    Free Member

I had my first road bike “off” at the weekend. Having just hurtled down a steep hill I was out of the saddle pulling hard and fast up the other side of the hill. The chain came off and I was dumped unceremoniously on the black stuff *ouch*.

My bike is a £400 Trek something-or-other that I have had for 7 or 8 years now. I don’t do loads of road miles – barely 300 per year so it’s still on its first drivetrain albeit I have changed the chain not so many miles ago.

What could have caused this? Worn drivetrain, flexy cranks. Is it possible to put too much power through a cheap bike or am I just flattering myself?

markd
    Free Member

i would imagine its something to do with the dirvetrain…

stilltortoise
    Free Member

It’s not the first time the chain has slipped but it is the first time I’ve ended up on the floor as a result

markd
    Free Member

ow. not nice.

Jase
    Free Member

Perhaps the cassette has also worn and the new chain is not ‘mating’ with the used cassette?

aP
    Free Member

Probably badly adjusted gears, not pleasant though.

stilltortoise
    Free Member

So I can’t blame it on a flexy bike and buy a new – better – one? 😀

joe1983
    Free Member

Definitely a flexy bike. You need to buy a new one ASAP (preferably carbon or titanium), for safety reasons obviously.

david_r
    Free Member

So I can’t blame it on a flexy bike and buy a new – better – one?

I think you no the answer to that….You can’t put a price on your own personal safety!!! Used this line many times with my good lady wife to justify a new purchase! Just used it this week to get a new set of roadie wheels!

stilltortoise
    Free Member

😆

Cheers chaps. Glad I asked 😀

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Dark side help’ is closed to new replies.