• This topic has 21 replies, 15 voices, and was last updated 8 years ago by egb81.
Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • Dark side curious, 1st Road Bike Recommendations?
  • monkeysfeet
    Free Member

Thinking of buying a road bike in a couple of months, always had MTB’s and not ridden a road bike since I was about 12 yrs old.
    I guess priorities would be cost (up to £850.00), comfort and something nice to ride so I won’t hate getting out and putting some miles in.
    So what would you recommend? (quite like the look of the Kinesis Road bikes)

Thank you, Steve.

Gary_M
    Free Member

So what would you recommend?

Don’t call it the dark side.

tomd
    Free Member

Something that will take sensible tyres and proper mudguards if you hope to ride all year. It increases the enjoyment massively. At that price I’d avoid discs, something like this:

https://www.decathlon.co.uk/triban-540-road-bike-105-id_8331275.html

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

Don’t call it the dark side.

😆

I like the name; makes it sound a bit cool and mysterious “just going for a dark side ride”

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Ebay

CAAD something or other in your size for <£400

Spend the rest on kit.

The CAAD series consistently comes out on top in group tests, and even the older ones are very very good. Mine’s now 12 years old (CAAD4), I had a demo on a modern carbon superbike and TBH, there wasn’t that much difference.

Although at this time of year mudguards are very nice to have, as are bigger tyres. At the expense of riding round in the bike equivalent of a diesel Mondeo, rather than a Lotus Elise in the summer time.

monkeysfeet
    Free Member

Sorry Gary. 😀
    Not interested/bothered about discs really.

cbmotorsport
    Free Member

Planet-X RT-58 Alloy is what I went for. It’s been great. Lots of bike for the money. Comfy geo too.

avdave2

And I’d look for a local club to join. I bought my first road bike in over 25 years around 6 months ago and I’ve found I really enjoy club runs and it gets me out once a week whatever the weather. While I’m more than happy to ride alone off road, I reckon over the last 30 years 99% of my riding has been on my own, on the road I much prefer to ride with others.
    As for the bike look at deals on last years models. Pauls cycles might be a good place to start.

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

Where’re you based Steve? And how tall are you?

kcal

on the flip side, since I got a road capable bike, I’ve explored (mostly solo) some great bits of my local county, never more than 10 miles form home often and yet been down roads I didn’t know existed..

seconds for trying some out (LBS) and second hand.

monkeysfeet
    Free Member

Hi David, I am in North Wales. Usually a medium/5’10, 32leg 🙂

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

Oh well; I have something available but it’ll be too big for you. Worth looking second hand though; there was a nice BMC in the classifieds recently for next to nowt.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Probably a 54cm unless you’re hugely out of proportion in some way.

There’s a Trek 2.1 in the classifieds at the moment which would make a nice summer bike, might struggle with guards or larger tyres through.

Just be honest with yourself, will you ride it under any weather conditions in whihc case guards will allow you to ride probably twice as often, or will you ride it if it’s a dry day, in which case guards add weight, rattle and drag?

ultimateweevil
    Free Member

Kinesis is a good option as their 4s maybe ideal for you as it’s got clearance for guards and can take up to 28c tyres

I swapped a cheap ribble carbon for their Aithien last summer and love it and would go for a 4s if I was after a winter or commuter.

lunge

As a general rule, there are no bad bikes any more so buy one you like the look of as you’ll ride it more.

Personally, when I got into it I fancied a fast, arse down/head up, skinny tyred race machine. So I got one, and I loved it, still do in fact, I just use it commute on.

But to be more specific, go to Decathlon.

shermer75
    Free Member

I bought a Trek 1.2 as my first road bike, I think they cost about £650 rrp now. It’s been great, really comfy and fast enough to easily keep up with the club runs. It’s a full on road bike though, so narrow tyres and a bit tricksy to fit mudguards though

monkeysfeet
    Free Member

Thanks for the advice guys. I thought I would probably be a 54′. I worked over Xmas so should be getting some cash end of Feb so I will start looking properly/trying then.
    Chester isn’t far away so I have access to an Evans, Spesh concept store and another shop that sells Trek.
    I will see if I can get any test rides. In fairness I will proably buy local/support my local shops. My LBS does KTM bikes but I don’t know much about them.
    Once again thanks. 🙂

boriselbrus
    Free Member

Boardman Team Carbon.

Less than £700 with BC discount.

http://www.halfords.com/cycling/bikes/road-bikes/boardman-road-team-carbon-bike

wilburt
    Free Member

Blimey has no one said Deny yet?

I will then..don’t buy a Giant Defy whatever you do there completely pants, you’ll be slow and may even die. Also ignore whatever anyone who posts sfter this says otherwise.

egb81
    Free Member

I ride a 54cm Trek 1.9 and I’m only 5ft 7″ with 30″ leg. They are quite short on the ETT or at least they were back in 2009. My 46cm Giant is only 2mm shorter!

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)

The topic ‘Dark side curious, 1st Road Bike Recommendations?’ is closed to new replies.