Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Dark side content – carbon forks?
  • muddydwarf
    Free Member

Do carbon forks make that much of a difference?

I recently bought a Boardman hybrid comp, went out for my first recreational road ride today and, coming down Cragg Vale into Mytholmroyd i thought my elbows/wrists were going to shatter!
    Bike is fitted with an alloy fork, would upgrading to a carbon model make 'that' much difference?

midlifecrisis
    Free Member

IMHO they do smooth the ride a bit. However, if you are used to riding a MTB then anything with a narrower tyre pumped up hard without suspension is going to feel harsher.

What tyre pressure are you running? There is balance that can be struck between efficiency and comfort which might help you.

Have you considered which grips are fitted? I assume your bike has flat bars. It might be possible to fit something a bit more shock absorbing.

Finally, my silly suggestion, look on ebay for a Girvin Flexstem

cynic-al
    Free Member

Can do – is this an entry level alloy frame/fork?

Buy decent forks though (steel ones should help) – cheap carbon unlikely to be any more comfortable.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    muddydwarf
    Free Member

Tyre pressure = "HARD!!!" not actually sure, the shop pumped them up & i've left it at that so far. Very skinny (to me) tyres though.

Flat bars, so perhaps i should look at those ergonomic grips?

I always use unpadded gloves for 'feel' – looks like i need some padded ones..

muddydwarf
    Free Member

The hybrid comp is the entry-level one, but the only difference between it and the next level up is the mechanical discs and the alloy fork. I've swapped the brakes for Hope mini's so that just leaves the fork.
    It's a nice bike, however i have an RSI in my elbows that i'm currently on anti-inflammatories for and it was a tad painful.

crikey
    Free Member

It's the position….

On a hybrid, you tend to sit as upright as you would on an mtb, but without any sus fork or big tyre. I would suggest a longer stem and maybe putting the seat back a bit to put less weight on your hands and arms. Flat bars with the single riding position also don't help, but presumably you don't want drops.

zaskar
    Free Member

I find it dampens vibration a bit but still feels bumps etc I mean at 110psi in my road tyres of course I wil still feel it.

I've used my hack mtb for commutes with steel fork and 1.3" tyres-smooth as butter.

Deffo fatter grips, unlocked elbows and time to get used to it.

I wouldn't waste your cash on the carbon fork-maybe a decent steel.

Give it more time to ge used to it.

BigDummy
    Free Member

Are you (and I do not mean to impugn your ability as a rider, please take no offence at the suggestion) holding on very tightly to the bars because your tiny tyres are scaring you? 🙂

muddydwarf
    Free Member

No, i don't get on with drops, my hands are too small to work with riding on the hoods.
    I set the bars a little lower and i seem to be riding more 'over the bars' with more of my weight on the bars than on my (full suss) mtb.
    The stem is 90mm which i think is long for a small bike.
    Also has bar-ends as well.

anagallis_arvensis

should have got a proper road bike

oldgit
    Free Member

Yes they do. Alloy is horrid, the worst. Steel is better for comfort

muddydwarf
    Free Member

BD – first time i rode it i was, it was in the ice two weeks ago though! 😆

The riding position is more 'agressive' than on my mtb so my weight seems further forward, in fact the bike seems designed this way. I like the handling and the current position set-up, just bloody harsh on my poor elbows!

muddydwarf
    Free Member

Don't like 'proper' road bikes AA – see above!

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Dark side content – carbon forks?’ is closed to new replies.