Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • Dark side content – canyon ultimate cf slx or endurace?
  • seifahmad
    Free Member

Hello

I would appreciate some thoughts (preferably from anyone who has ridden these bikes) as I am unsure between them.
    I currently do all my road biking on my cx bike and would like a road bike for the longer rides /sportives.

I like to ultimate cf slx 7.0 and would probably need a small size (after using canyons calculator). What I would like to know is would this bike be suitable for long all day rides/sportives? Many reviews are mixed with some saying it is harsh and some saying it is very comfy.

The alternative is the endurace that has just been released. The difference in price is about £200 and about 600g in weight.

Would like to order ASAP so comments appreciated.

Thanks again

bikebouy
    Free Member

Arse up hacking or pootle within a group?

Former cf slx, latter endurance 😉

Both very very capable bikes at doing both, endurance a little more upright but no less racy but slightly more comfy, cf slx more of a day racer..

HTH

stevious

I’ve had my ultimate slx for a week so you might want to take my opinion with a pinch of salt but I’m very happy with how smooth the ride is. If you go for a compact crankset they fit 25mm tyres as standard too, which is a big help. Oh, and I went for the VCLS 2 seatpost because it’s much cheaper than buying it separately.

Mine will get used for some racing and TTs so I wouldn’t have gone for the endurance anyway, but it does look like a great bike too.

BristolPablo
    Free Member

SLX is racier than I thought it was looking at the geo, >73 deg head angle and a relatively small head tube, endurance is only slightly less racy to be honest, a bit more upright at the front but not by much.

a friend has an SLX and loves it, i’d get that…

timb34
    Free Member

Someone on here came up with a great way to decide between “racey” and “endurance” models:

If you can touch your toes, get the Ultimate CF, if you can’t get the Endurance

(Originally applied to Tarmac and Roubaix, but it should hold for Canyons too)

taxi25
    Free Member

Slx owner here so it gets my vote. It’s a very good bike as I’m sure the endurance is. But for me even at 54 every ride is a race ( in my own mind ) so Its spot on 😀 Don’t be put of by the race tag either its as comfortable as my 853 steel bike.

nosaintangel
    Free Member

SLX owner also . not ridden the endurance.had a couple of 70mile rides last 3 weeks no ill comfort issues at all .the most comfortable bike iv’e owned is a litespeed vortex titanium .SLX comes very close but is faster. 😀

mtbmatt
    Free Member

The VCLS seatpost is ace. I have the Ergon version and I think adding that to any race bike will make it comfortable.

So really, it comes down to angles and if you want a taller headtube.

stevious

Should add that you’re unlikely to get anyone with any experience of the Endurance as they were only launched a few weeks ago.

And that owing to the post earlier I have discovered that I can touch my toes these days.

Crell
    Free Member

Stevious, how are you getting on with the VCLS 2? I specced one on my SLX but wondering if I should have stuck to the original.

I looked at the endurance and wondered about swapping my order. The top spec one is a great price but I’ve wanted a SLX for ages so I’m sticking with it.

stevious

Crell – too early to tell and too many variables (going from a heavy, uncomfortable, flexy frame to this) but it seems to be doing the job well. My thoughts were that it gets good reviews and would cost about £200 to buy separately so if it turns out to be rubbish I should be able to sell it on easily. No intention of doing that yet.

iamsporticus
    Free Member

CF SLX here for the last 3 years

I usually feel a bit stiff (fnarrr) when I swing a leg over it in April/May each year but by the time June arrives I can happily do 8-12h in the saddle on big days out

It really rocks actually, lightning fast up hills and it goes downhill like a banshee – if thats what banshees do 🙂

Im sure the endurance is lovely but I dont see the point – you buy road bikes cos they are fast and a bit evil dont you?

chakaping
    Free Member

Thread resurrection – to see if anyone’s riding an Endurace yet?

The cycling media are being slow about getting the bike reviewed.

smogmonster

Another CF SLX owner here….I find it is more than comfortable enough for long rides. Ive done a couple of 100s on it this year without any problem at all…beyond what I would expect on any other bike for that sort of distance. There is actually quite a lot of vertical give in the back end over crappy roads, of which there are plenty up here in the Dales. I am a bit of a biffer though at 85kgs so I don’t how much vetical movement a lighter rider would get.

reggiegasket
    Free Member

2015 Defy disc!

Onzadog
    Free Member

Bump. Looking at an endurace cf for the wife and an ultimate sl cf for me.

How do owners find the sizing compared to the website size guide? We both seem to be between sizes so should we size up or down?

Onzadog
    Free Member

Bump.

Onzadog
    Free Member

taxi25
    Free Member

I went up, I’m 6ft with a 33″ inside leg. The canyon size guide said medium for my cf slx, but the large is perfect for me.

Onzadog
    Free Member

Cheers. I’m thinking mediums make more sense.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

The topic ‘Dark side content – canyon ultimate cf slx or endurace?’ is closed to new replies.