• This topic has 22 replies, 19 voices, and was last updated 13 years ago by trb.
Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • Dark side – Club rides and flat bars
  • Whyte1
    Free Member

is it wrong to go out on a road club ride with flat bars even if you’ve no trouble keeping up ??

Dickyboy

why stick at flat bars? go for some wide risers & really get on their wick 🙂

firestarter
    Free Member

Nowt wrong with that mate

SurroundedByZulus
    Free Member

Plenty folk do that.

uponthedowns
    Free Member

Was on a shop road ride ride once and got talking to a guy who looked in his late 50s. I noticed he was using flat bars and asked why. He said he’d had a hip replacement and didn’t like going down on the drops any more. We got to the first hill and he promptly dropped me.

simondbarnes

Not a problem

aracer
    Free Member

Make sure you also regularly call it darkside, and imply that it’s not proper cycling. Oh, and put the hammer down on every climb – the aim of a clubride is to see who you can drop off the back.

firestarter
    Free Member

Btw Brian robinson first Brit to complete the tour de France and win a stage still does club runs round Yorkshire on his road bike with flat bars. If its good enough for him it is for me 🙂

cynic-al
    Free Member

As long as you’re not causing crashes etc

Moonhead
    Free Member

Was in my LBS the other day an noticed a couple of road bikes in for service/repair that had flat bars, one also had bar ends. If it works for you why not?

meehaja
    Free Member

You’ll need to wear a camel back.

ton

i always use flat bars on my road/tourer bike.
    drops are pretty much redundent.
    seriously, who can say that they get down on the hooks on a regular basis.

ourmaninthenorth

Me. Use the drops daily.

muddydwarf
    Free Member

My road bike has flat bars, bar ends & disc brakes! 🙂

I suppose someone will be along shortly to boringly comment that “it’s not a road bike then”

Bull, it’s a bike designed purely for riding on the the road, ergo….

I hate drops, like the ease of the Hope mini discs & the bar ends give me all the hand position options i require.

crikey
    Free Member

Me, every ride.

ourmaninthenorth

To the OP:

It’s important also to ride at the front of the group so that you are half a wheel ahead of the rider alongside you. As he catches up, just edge forwards again.

You’ll also be able to show off your bike handling skills by riding at holes in the road, and then swerving at the last minute. The rest of the group will appreciate that.

2tyred

Also, when you’re on the front and need to clear your sinuses, be sure to spit or do the footballer’s hanky over your shoulder rather than under your arm.

clubber
    Free Member

Absolutely don’t forget to moan about how miserable ALL roadies are and how they’re all crap and that you overtook the TdF while on your 40lb 10″ travel DH bike.

KINGTUT
    Free Member

Me, every ride.

And me.

FuzzyWuzzy

You’re probably over 35 and bought a Planet-X because they’re cheap (without thinking about fit) if you never touch the drops… Use them every ride myself to (alternate position for comfort, into a strong headwind and when descending)

clubber
    Free Member

I almost never use the drops FWIW. I have just turned 36 though 🙂 I don’t ride a Planet-X, mind 😉

john_l
    Free Member

those of us that can? 🙂

trb
    Free Member

You’re probably over 35 and bought a Planet-X because they’re cheap (without thinking about fit) if you never touch the drops…

Have you been in my shed?

Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)

The topic ‘Dark side – Club rides and flat bars’ is closed to new replies.