Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 47 total)
  • Dark Side clothing advice..
  • hughjayteens
    Free Member

I’ve recently got a road bike with a view to getting some extra miles in my legs to aid the MTB riding and #Enduro racing…

I’m alright on the bottom half as I have loads of bib shorts and tights which I wear under my baggies, but I’m unsure what the best jerseys and jackets are as I don’t think I’ll look too rad doing a sportive in my matching mavic enduro pyjamas…

I used to have an Endura Transformer top I wore on the MTB which was pretty warm from memory, but I don’t recall ever removing the sleeves so think that feature was a bit of a waste. Most roadies I see are dressed in black with red or white Rapha, Assos or Castelli trimmings, but I’m unsure whether to go softshell/windstopper, jersey/jacket etc.

What do people recommend?

whitestone
    Free Member

Basically anything that’s snug rather than flapping about. Short sleeved top is good for summer, add arm warmers for spring/autumn, get a long sleeved top plus gilet for when it’s cool.

jamiep
    Free Member

Whatever you have that isn’t flappy. Rapha has a sale currently…

ahwiles
    Free Member

careful now, dressing like a roadie tends to lead to the realisation that it works, which tends to lead to wearing roadie kit on your mountainbike…

lunge

The more versatile kit for your top half is a short sleeved jersey with arm warmers and a gillet. You can can then change your baselayer as needed. That may not work when it’s really cold but down to 5 or 6 degrees you’ll be fine.

You also don’t need to spend mega bucks, my best fitting jersey cost £10, my gillet was from the bargain rail at my LBS.

akira

Castelli gabba or a variation thereof is pretty useful plus can be used on mtb as well.

onandon
    Free Member

Stolen goat has a sale on at the mo. The jackets are fantastic and out gabby the gabba. ( I have both )

LeeW

That website that sells gear for sporty pursuits has a good range on sale at the moment.

beer247
    Free Member

At the moment, i’ll generally wear a long sleeve Jersey (Rapha) and base layer (whatever is clean and to hand!)

Weather dependant I switch between a Rapha Brevet Gillet or a Montane shower proof jacket.

If the rain is really bad i just tend to hit the turbo trainer!

cloudnine
    Free Member

Long sleeve Castelli gabba is one of the best bits of kit I own.. Very windproof, quite waterproof, flexible, nice high neck, good pockets.
    Wear with either long or short sleeve baselayer. And nice zip vents if you get warm. I literally don’t wear anything else unless it’s very wet or very cold.

globalti
    Free Member

If you’re on a budget, Wiggle’s own brand dhb is excellent value for money, nice kit that works. My dhb 3/4 Roubaix-lined bibs are my favourite bit of cycling kit.

MoreCashThanDash

Lunges advice about arm warmers and gilets is spot on.

When it gets too cold for that I have lovely Rapha winter jersey which I found on ebay at half the rrp. Fitted me really well before Christmas! 🙄

But you don’t need to spend Rapha money to get decent kit. Altura and Madison got decent reviews on a winter jersey review on road.cc this morning.

chakaping
    Free Member

I got one of these after a PSA on here and it’s superb for dry rides at this time of year (with a base underneath)…
    http://www.wiggle.co.uk/endura-fs260-pro-jetstream-iii-jersey/

I’m 5ft 8in and medium in civvies and the large is good for me – and would suit people up to 6ft I’d guess.

Basically anything that’s snug rather than flapping about

+1

And if getting a jacket, look for one with three pockets on the rear – so useful.

avdave2

I’m a big fan of Lusso’s clothing, all still made in the UK as well, not just a “designed in the UK marketing exercise”. I’ve been using the Aqua Repel Jacket this winter and it’s been great as everything else I’ve had of theirs.

JohnJohn
    Free Member

Polaris still have some stupidly cheap l/s tops in their sale. They’ll get you through this winter and give you time to save for the Rapha sale!

benp1

base layer, close fitting jersey, gilet

That combo is amazingly versatile and will cover from many bases at this time of year

hughjayteens
    Free Member

Thanks guys. Can’t seem to find a Gabba anywhere as they appear to have been discontinued?

I’ve got plenty of base layers, so should I go for LS jersey and Gilet combo or LS jacket?

Like the look of the Lusso Aqua Repel and it ‘beat’ the Gabba in one test I saw FWIW.

rascal
    Free Member

I recently took the Gabba plunge.
    Owner reviews are almost 100% ‘the best bit of pic I’ve ever owned’ type of responses…I was sceptical but went for the short sleeved version as a lot thought it was more flexible – can combine with waterproof/windproof arm warmers if need be. Is it indeed a very good bit of kit – not worn in rain yet though but very light, windproof, very breathable. Went for the green (not flouro) so nice and visible too. Wear a cheap Aldi base layer with it – got it for £80 instead of £140 which made it even more betterer 😉

akira

Try looking for Castelli perfetto stuff instead, newer gabba replacement

dufusdip
    Free Member

Galibier mistral jacket is excellent shower proof soft shell that’s intended for roadies but I’ve only had mtb experience, which has made it jacket of choice.

crashtestmonkey
    Free Member

Castelli have dropped the name Gabba as they had to pay a license fee on every sale (it’s the name of the rider who effectively co-invented it) and hence the recent sales.

They now call it the Perfetto (edit beaten to it slow phone typing!).

I have 2, a SS and a LS. Brilliant kit, but both the Stolen Goat and Lusso are supposed to be at least as good.

jamiep
    Free Member

consider this cheaper softshell from Evans. Very cheap if you have Clubcard points to Boost. I use it for CX when I don’t want to risk my Gabbas/Raphas. But it is good kit in itself. There are reviews around for you to check it out

steeble
    Free Member

seconding the polaris sale . dirt cheap and quality is great for the price ls top

steve_b77
    Free Member

careful now, dressing like a roadie tends to lead to the realisation that it works, which tends to lead to wearing roadie well fitting, wicking and ergonomic kit on your mountainbike…

Seriously though, Castelli and Sportful are excellent, just go up a size. Endura and Lusso are good British brands, sizing is per normal clothes.

Sizing like that applies if say you’re a medium in normal clothes and wear slim fitting shirts, jeans etc. If you are more on the non-tailored / slim fitting maybe look at XL in castelli and sportful and large in Endura

Mister-P
    Free Member

At this time of year I wear a long sleeve Merino baselayer then either a softshell jacket or a thicker waterproof 3 layer jacket. If it’s really cold then it’s the baselayer, a thermal long sleeve jersey then a windproof shell over the top.

Marin
    Free Member

Just make sure everything is black with a reflective part the size of a 1p piece on your back so you really stand out on those grey mornings we get this time of year.

gavtheoldskater
    Free Member

i asked a similar question a month or so ago, i was looking at wool stuff, my concern was that i always froze on the roadbike using my mtb jackets etc so basically never winter rode.

to cut a long story short, gabba. i cannot believe how good the stuff is. i bought a bnwt short sleeve for about 65quid and some nanoflex arms. with two baselayers and a shutt gilet i’ve gone down to about 5deg, there was frost on the roadside. a thermo skully is great too.

if you are patient and hunt you can get castelli at great prices, just watch the sizing as its a bit odd. i’m a med in clothing but i wear large castelli tops, though bibs are a med.

cookeaa

As it’s just “offseason training” for a #Enduro habbit, I would suggest Cheap not too fancy jerseys, baselayers, arm/legwarmers and jackets from Decathlon.

But there’s more of a need to look the part? Thow some money at Rapha and Castelli…

mikewsmith
    Free Member

#Rahpha in the sale at the moment and 50% off lots of lines, Morvelo has some nice ironic kit too

Damm the one I wanted is sold out 🙁

Dead ___ Last

BearBack
    Free Member

Just go over to StartCycles for the Scott stuff.
    If you can find it in your size.
    For cooler rides, Helium all season is a nice weight and definitely works for both road and mtb
    The premium stuff if more road/commuter styled
    Tops wise, RC is racey, endurance and authentic are less so, but cheaper to boot.

zerolight
    Free Member

I’ve got an XL Castelli Gabba for cold and wet. Some Morvelo short sleeves for rest of year. Also an XL Assos top for summer that I got on sale.

I’m about 38″ chest and 6ft1 – Just in case you are new to road brand sizing.

benp1

Slightly off topic, but do you guys ride with LS base layer, SS jersey and arm warmers? Isn’t it irritating having to put the arm warmers on and off over the base layer?

I generally prefer SS base and LS jersey to LS base and SS jersey, although the latter does mean you can put the arm warmers over the top I guess?

benp1

To the OP – I’ve found there to be a difference between softshell type jackets, which are often quite warm, to windproof jerseys, which are often quite thin.

Sometimes you need to feel them to appreciate the difference.

For example, I have an Altura Transformer Peloton Jacket, which on papers looks sort of similar to the Gore Phantom 2.0, but the Altura is much thinner and more like a windproof jersey (i.e. very thin windproof front and front of arms, roubaix type back) and I wear it like one, whereas the Gore is quite a bit thicker, and cut differently, so I wear it more like a softshell jacket

Jersey-> jacket and windproof->softshell are all shades of grey, it’s not always clear cut

hughjayteens
    Free Member

BearBack – Member
    Just go over to StartCycles for the Scott stuff.
    If you can find it in your size.
    For cooler rides, Helium all season is a nice weight and definitely works for both road and mtb
    The premium stuff if more road/commuter styled
    Tops wise, RC is racey, endurance and authentic are less so, but cheaper to boot.

Some bargains there! I’ve always liked Scott MTB clothing so might order a few bits to see how they fit. Very useful advice chaps, especially on sizing. I’m 6′ tall with a 39″ ish chest and would usually buy a medium so think I may need to size up a little with some of the Italian racing snake brands…

PimpmasterJazz
    Free Member

I’ve got an XL Castelli Gabba for cold and wet.

I’m about 38″ chest and 6ft1 – Just in case you are new to road brand sizing.

Interesting. I’m after a Gabba in the sale and am 40″ chest and 6ft. I was expecting to go Large, like previous Castelli SS tops.

As they say, try before you buy.

ransos
    Free Member

Slightly off topic, but do you guys ride with LS base layer, SS jersey and arm warmers? Isn’t it irritating having to put the arm warmers on and off over the base layer?

I generally prefer SS base and LS jersey to LS base and SS jersey, although the latter does mean you can put the arm warmers over the top I guess?

SS base, SS jersey, arm warmers, gilet. Bib shorts with knee warmers. If it’s colder, a windproof shell over the top, and thermal bib longs.

chakaping
    Free Member

What’s the thinking with arm warmers then? is it so you don’t have to own a SS and a LS jersey/baselayer?

I’ve had a pair for eight years and only worn them a few times.

ransos
    Free Member

What’s the thinking with arm warmers then? is it so you don’t have to own a SS and a LS jersey/baselayer?

Much more versatile IMO – especially on those “inbetween” days when it’s cold setting off, then you/ the air warms up. Plus Roubaix style warmers are good at stopping windchill.

iainc

Interesting. I’m after a Gabba in the sale and am 40″ chest and 6ft. I was expecting to go Large, like previous Castelli SS tops.

I an 5ft 10, 41 chest and my Gabba’s and Perfetto are all XL…

PimpmasterJazz
    Free Member

I an 5ft 10, 41 chest and my Gabba’s and Perfetto are all XL…

Thanks.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 47 total)

The topic ‘Dark Side clothing advice..’ is closed to new replies.