Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Dark Peaks which hostel?
  • fr0sty125
    Free Member

So I was thinking of just staying at a hostel in the Dark Peaks this weekend so I can get more riding done and get back in time for the F1 on Sunday.

So I was thinking of either Edale YHA, Castleton YHA or Hathersage YHA.

Any thoughts or recommendations on routes or which hostel?

nbt

Edale YHA is quite isolated – a hefty walk or even taxi ride from a local pub to eat out. Fine if you’re cooking your own food.

DFaffMaster

Castleton is proper bling for a YHA.

Edale has just been done up so should be smart too.

Both offer food and the YHA evening meal are normally quite good and filling too.

Not tried Hathersage yet.

stilltortoise
    Free Member

Castleton is proper bling for a YHA.

Has it been done up in recent years? Last time I stayed was 3 years ago. It is a lovely building and recommended as a Youth Hostel, but the room I was in was still a poky little bunk-bed filled hobbit hole. If all you plan on doing is sleep in it, fantastic, but if you were thinking of wheeling your bike into the room for safe-keeping at night, you might struggle for space.

That said, of the 3 places, I’d probably choose Castleton for proximity to the widest variety of trails as well as pubs.

fr0sty125
    Free Member

but if you were thinking of wheeling your bike into the room for safe-keeping at night, you might struggle for space.

What do most people do?

I see they have storage and my bike is insured but I don’t exactly want to wake up to found out I no longer have a bike…..

stilltortoise
    Free Member

What do most people do?

Depends where I am. Some places have secure bike storage but if not I’d keep it locked in the car. Not sure what’s at Castleton YHA.

fr0sty125
    Free Member

I will be going by train so no car…

excitable1
    Free Member

I assume the plan is to ride plenty and use the F1 to help you sleep when you get back knackered !

DFaffMaster

Castleton has secure bike storeage.

DFaffMaster

It was done up just over a year ago

DFaffMaster

Frosty you probably stayed in the old hostel at Castleton. That is now shut down.

nbt

DIdn;t know that Losehill hall was now the YHA! That’s a bit further out of the village but it’s a beautiful old building

stilltortoise
    Free Member

I got married at Losehill Hall 🙂

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Dark Peaks which hostel?’ is closed to new replies.