• This topic has 27 replies, 15 voices, and was last updated 13 years ago by Pook.
Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)
  • Dark Peak conditions (mam tor area, cavedale report)
  • Pook

Rushup Edge – boggy, but rideable. Couple of hub deep muddy puddles.
    Chapel Gate – a deep stream!
    The Chute – claggy mud
    Greenlands to Hollins Cross – claggy mud
    Mam tor to mam nick – claggy mud
    Cavedale – not bad, slippery but not pouring. Top end is slippery.

There you go.

racing_ralph
    Free Member

the chute was not claggy it was slippy as **** over harder mud underneath

crazy-legs

claggy mud

Really? You do surprise me… 🙄
    Weather has been rubbish here that last couple of weeks. 🙁 Middle Moor (the Shooting Cabins descent to Little Hayfield) has changed completely in the recent deluge.

BadlyWiredDog

There’s no ‘claggy mud’ there, there’s a a fair amount of slither, but I rode most of that stuff today and it’s basically a bit slippy, but there’s nowt that’s sticky , which is what ‘claggy’ generally means 😕

Perhaps you’re riding in a different Peak District, a sort of parallel one with different geology 😉

Crag
    Free Member

Rode over there today. Chapel Gate was fun. Full on stream. Proper good do though. Everywhere else, if not riding in running water was a total slippy mudfest. Made for an interesting day out!

racing_ralph
    Free Member

Bwd did we see you at the bottom of blackley hay

thepodge
    Free Member

stream? I’ve just handed the tram conductor a wet tenner which was inside my wallet, inside a pocket, inside my camelbak. I’ve seen people kayak down dryer things

Pook

I was clagged right up to the nines. Podge described it as ‘every type of mud’. And it’s proper clagged up my washing machine.

Claggy.

Bunnyhop

You need to pre-soak young man, in a bucket.

Our local riding (Maple end) wasn’t too slippery, but some of it was descending in streams.
    The new steps at the top of ‘The Banks’ have already washed away and the council have only just finished spending a lot of money on sanitising the drop 🙁

slowrider
    Free Member

I would classify today’s mud as being perfect for a ‘bambi on ice’ impression. Of which I did many.

james
    Free Member

Where is ‘the chute’? I don’t think I’ve heard of that name before

And is mam nick the top of road across the mam tor rushop edge ridge?

alancash100
    Free Member

I found the mud to be a bit smoggy. Near the top of mam tor however, some of the mud was on the Glungie side, with a bit of scrunge at the bottom! 😉

Pieface

I think ‘The Chute’ is what is also known as ‘The Tube’, however I could also be confusing it with ‘The Tunnel’.

But judging from the loop he’s described it’ll be the bridleawy from the road near on the west side of Mam Nick descending to Greenlands.

Pook

indeed it is. Variously known as The Chute, the Toboggan run, or ‘that cracking one from mam nick to Edale’

Andituk
    Free Member

If Eskimos have so many words for snow, its only right us northerners should have lots of words for mud 😀

thepodge
    Free Member

clag not clay

SteveBbrain
    Free Member

The grassy descent from Hollins cross to Castleton was definately slippy surface mud, which caused much sideways fallyoffy riding. I thought Rushup edge was a lot more ridable than expected and the Chapel white water section certainly washed off most of the mud!
    There was alot of riders out yesterday enjoying these perfect conditions :mrgreen:

BadlyWiredDog

Bwd did we see you at the bottom of blackley hay

I dunno – were you the group with one lass, two blokes in red jackets and a few others, one of whom didn’t really like waiting by gates for his mates and was doing the whole, ‘should I, shouldn’t I thing… 😉

If so, sorry if I seemed grumpy, I’ve been off the bike for three weeks with some death cold and I’m only functioning at about 60% and trying to work out what my legs were doing. On a Pace RC405. Anyway…

BadlyWiredDog

Anyway, my general observations on mud in the Dark Peak is that are two kinds – one is a kind of gritty slurry that exists on rocky terrain and doesn’t really do much except wear out every component on your bike in a matter of minutes. The other type is on grassier tracks and is slithery mud, doesn’t stick to anything like claggy mud, but because it overlies soil rather than rock, is rubbish for traction and eventually forms rut things. Eventually water rips its way down through the surface soil and it turns into a rocky trough, witness the righthand descent from Hollins Cross which has grown a set of bedrock step-downs over the past three or four years and loads of other places. Or that’s my take on it. Oh, and when there’s lots of rain, certain tracks – the Shooting Cabin above Little Hayfield for one, just become streams with interesting rubble-washed side effects.

hughbarton
    Free Member

Hi, i’m new to this forum …. to Pook’s list at the top I can add

Cut Gate – total mudfest on the Langsett side, and flowing on the Ladybower side.

racing_ralph
    Free Member

BWD that was us, i was on a green heckler

thepodge
    Free Member

BWD. I guess it was you who I spoke to up Mam Tor then.

RR, i think we passed you at least twice in opposite directions and once when we were emptying the cars.

racing_ralph
    Free Member

What were you riding

thepodge
    Free Member

Trance x 2, Was with Pook / Chris (Silver Specialized), Tom (Lapierre with Iron bru coloured bars, Toms dad (Brown Santa Cruz Nickel) and I forget what the other guy had.

no_eyed_deer
    Free Member

^^^ Wowsers! I’m amazed you’d even attempt cut gate in these conditions 😯 ^^^^^

Last time I tried it was back in late September, before it got really skanky and even then it was a hideous bog-fest.

Quite frankly I couldn’t believe how filthy it was out there yesterday. I can’t remember it raining THAT much recently! It must’ve taken me about 1/2 hr – 45mins at least to ride the sludge-fest from Edale up to Mam Tor – a climb that would take all of 15 mins in the height of glorious, fast, dusty summer… :sigh:

racing_ralph
    Free Member

can’t say i saw you – where were we??

BadlyWiredDog

BWD that was us, i was on a green heckler

Ah well, a belated hello then. I don’t really notice people’s bikes unless they’re particularly bright or hideous, but it was nice to meet you 🙂

BWD. I guess it was you who I spoke to up Mam Tor then.

I guess so, if you were the chap sat at the side of the trail waiting for his mates to come back. Cheers for the chat, it postponed several moments of slithery upwards progress, or lack of it. I’m sure you’ll get your fitness back faster than you think. I took the hardtail out yesterday and felt a whole lot better – amazing what losing 5lb in weight from your bike does for your fitness 😉

Cut Gate? Best deep frozen at this time of year, I rode it in snow back in December as part of a big loop out over the Roych and back and it was lovely. Bring back the cold.

Pook

twas well wet on Chapel Gate….. couldn’t be arsed to film CAvedale. I was just to cold and wet.

[video]http://www.vimeo.com/20428096[/video]

Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)

The topic ‘Dark Peak conditions (mam tor area, cavedale report)’ is closed to new replies.