Viewing 6 posts - 81 through 86 (of 86 total)
  • Dark matter? what's the point?
  • marsdenman
    Free Member

the search for the missing mass of the universe

Please tell me they checked down the back of the sofa…

I know, IGMC……

richmtb

Yes. Horizon has been dumbed down (remember when you had to go sit in a dark room for an hour afterwards?), Equinox was brilliant. We used to have really good quality advanced science programming, not written for the lowest common denominator.

Agree with you there. Horizon is often pretty thin on actual content.

You can’t level the same accusation at Cox though. His documentaries are actually very good and have a decent amount of actual science in them. Stargazing and Wonders of life have both been excellent.

molgrips
    Free Member

Horizon has often aimed to be about current developments. They have to schedule in a series’ worth of programmes, and if not much science is in the news at that point, they end up struggling. Been better lately though, it was worse about 5-10 years ago.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Ever heard of “lies to children”? Sometimes you have to slightly alter fact so that people can actually understand wtf you’re on about and then at the next step of knowledge you correct what was said etc…

this +1

GCSE, a-Level and Degree level chemistry all tell you that the last one was just a model that worked upto a certain level of detail. Condense the whole of someones field of science down to an hour and you’ve got to stick with some failry basic models.

CountZero

More power to the thickos.

Welcome to the forum, Homer!
    How very aspirational, let’s all revert to pond life. 🙄

joemarshall
    Free Member

I like the fact that people are posting on this thread using high powered, relatively tiny computing devices, and are still insisting that theoretical physics doesn’t serve any purpose.

Yes, even very theoretical things, that don’t appear to affect things on a real human scale have really quite practical benefits in the long term. I mean who could have predicted that many years in the future relativity would be a key part of getting people from A to B in their cars (GPS systems only work because of the designer’s understanding of special & general relativity).

Or who would have thought in the 1800s that philosophy of logic could at some point become the core thing supporting pretty much all business transactions (computer languages are essentially applied logic).

Viewing 6 posts - 81 through 86 (of 86 total)

The topic ‘Dark matter? what's the point?’ is closed to new replies.