Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • Dare I use my credit card on CRC now ?
  • trailofdestruction
    Free Member

Or am I being overly cautious ? Have all the “problems” been ironed out or is still to be avoided ? Nothing in the paypal account so need to use the plastic.

Need a new chain and CRC are far and away the cheapest. Don’t have an LBS by the way. If only I did 🙁

Really don’t need/want the hassle of sorting out card fraud stuff at the mo either.

Opinions ?

Jamie
    Free Member

Just link your debit card to Paypal account, and then it will not matter if there are any funds in the PP account.

olympus
    Free Member

Aye thats all I do. Paypal everything on crc

trailofdestruction
    Free Member

Yes I can do that, but I want to use my credit card so I wont have to pay for it until next month.

twohats
    Free Member

You can link a credit or debit card to PayPal.

trailofdestruction
    Free Member

“Well I know I don’t need another bike darling, but it was on offer and I had a discount code, and I don’t have to pay for it until next month !”

This could get messy.

Yes, I could link my credit card through to paypal instead of my debit card. I will go and investigate.

Cheers all.

fadda

I used a cc on Chain Reaction the other day. I’ve deliberately used a card that I don’t otherwise use – so the waiting starts…

neninja
    Free Member

I wouldn’t use a credit card, Paypal should be fine.

A mate had his visa or mastercard cancelled by the bank last week as he’d used it at CRC a couple of days before. Apparently which ever card provider he uses will stop any card used at CRC even now as they no longer regard CRC as a trusted seller.

trailofdestruction
    Free Member

fadda, good luck.

neninja, hmmm, very interesting.

olympus
    Free Member

I actually cant believe this whole fraud thing at CRC. How is it still going on, why has it not been fully investigated yet.

Bet they ove all these threads about them which they sponsor!

Leroy

Don’t do it: I’ve had a bad experience over the last few days probably CRC related

nedrapier

piles?

trailofdestruction
    Free Member

Gone with ukbikestore. Actually very competetive on price, and only a quid for delivery. Lets see how quickly it turns up. Think I used them ages ago and they were pretty good.

Ha, just noticed the CRC ad on this page !

maxray
    Free Member

Doh, fingers crossed mine doesn’t get nailed, didn’t realise there was an issue with it :s

mtbfix

My better half works in payment card security and she will not allow me to use my cc on CRC. She thinks that it is inexcuseable that they have had such a breach and that no mention is made anywhere on their website to forewarn customers of the potential risks.

Northwind

mtbfix – Member

She thinks that it is inexcuseable that they have had such a breach and that no mention is made anywhere on their website to forewarn customers of the potential risks.

Once a risk’s been exposed it gets fixed, and generally the company takes a fresh look at what they thought was secure. I’d be happier with CRC now than most companies tbh. Lots of places have weaknesses waiting to be exploited/in the process of being exploited, CRC have at least one less.

As for “potential risks”, what ongoing risks do you want them to warn of?

Not going to entirely defend CRC, they handled it very badly, they were still saying “Maybe there’s a problem, it’s not been proved, and hardly anyone’s been affected” long after my bank were saying “CRC fraud sir? We’ll put you through to the team that’s dealing with those, but it might take a minute to get you through because there’s been blimmin millions” And I don’t think their public explanation was true, though there’s legitimate reasons to do that to be fair.

Bez

their public explanation

Linky?

andrewh
    Free Member

I wouldn’t use my card at CRC, but that’s mainly down to pi$$ poor warrenty support and customer service…

Bez

Thanks. The follow question is, what about that do you think is untrue? (And why?)

Northwind

As I say there’s legit reasons why that could be the case, possibly shouldn’t have mentioned it for that reason, the timing doesn’t fit quite right and the explanation for other cards being cancelled is dubious too. I guess they felt they had to have some sort of explanation out there but there’s a reason most companies keep it quiet.

anto164
    Free Member

No, use your LBS instead.

Bez

As I say there’s legit reasons why that could be the case

But I’m not sure what the “that” is 🙂

Not doing a passive-aggressive, BTW – just curious.

Banks do tend to cancel cards as a precautionary measure on occasion – mine’s done it to me two or three times.

Northwind

Bez – Member

But I’m not sure what the “that” is

How do you mean? Companies don’t generally release details of how their security was broken because that’s doing free market research for criminals… Also at the point of the announcement there’d almost certainly be an ongoing investigation. I think their mistake was to talk about it at all tbh, we’d have advised them against it (used to work for a bank) You say “Yes there’s been a fraud, now we’ve fixed it”, end of story.

Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)

The topic ‘Dare I use my credit card on CRC now ?’ is closed to new replies.