• This topic has 27 replies, 26 voices, and was last updated 8 years ago by xyeti.
Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)
  • Dare I ask, recommend me a grease.
  • allan23
    Free Member

Just coming to the end of my tube of Shimano Workshop grease, it’s been good but the luminous dye they put in to make it green has stained the kitchen floor and I’m getting earache for it 🙁

I did search on the internet and recoiled in horror at the arguments.

The Shimano stuff is about the right stickiness, it’s water proof enough that washing your hands afterwards is difficult and it mostly keeps the crud out of hubs, headsets and bottom brackets.

Is there a suitable alternative or should I just be more careful applying it\buy some earplugs to ignore the telling off I’m getting?

PS: Only interested in standard sized tubes of bike suitable grease. I know I could save a few quid by buying 2kg of marine or motorbike grease – I really don’t use that much. The Shimano stuff has lasted a couple of years.

z1ppy

Been using silkolene rg2 grease for a while, managed to use a 500g pot far too quickly (or a lot quicker than I expected), but maybe having dualco grease gun helps keep it where you want it & probably encourages use, as it so easy to apply without making a mess. Bought it because it quality, not to save a buck

nixon
    Free Member

I’ve got a 500g pot each of copper and lithium grease, the copper gets used on threads and the lithium on anything that needs to move/spin. The brand I’ve got is Carlube though I don’t think it matters too much.

butcher

Newspaper for the kitchen floor?

To be honest, I think it’s all pretty much the same. I used standard Lithium grease for years. The Shimano stuff I have now seems no different.

RicB

Silkolene RG2 plus a Dualco grease gun. Brilliant stuff.

Rick n roll superweb was slightly better for bearings though, in that it seemed to last a bit longer. Not much in it though.

Davesport

MobilGrease XHP 222. It’s blue and very sticky. I’ve been using this stuff for a handfull of years and it seems to work !

ISTR Hope use this in their hubs.

D.

cloudnine
    Free Member

A tube of rock n roll super grease..

TheDoctor
    Free Member

The shimano stuff is pretty good,try rock n roll superweb grease as that’s really good as well

simonlovell999
    Free Member

Comma multi purpose grease

bumper
    Free Member

MobilGrease XHP 222. It’s blue and very sticky

I use this, stays in the bearings and also stays blue for a long time and doesn’t turn grey/black. I’ve got a red mobil grease too, looks like it’ll do the same quality job as the 222.

Thrustyjust
    Free Member

Been using Juice Lubes grease. Same as this but bought a big workshop pot:

https://www.merlincycles.com/juice-lubes-bearing-juice-waterproof-grease-82671.html?utm_campaign=googlebase-GB&utm_source=googlebase&utm_medium=shopping&utm_term=Bike+Lubrication+%26+Fluids&ucpo=21522&gclid=CPf7yY7z5coCFYoEwwod47MJUw

comes out the tub like hot cheese on a pizza. Its an arse to get off your fingers, its that sticky. Reminds me of the grease Gold frommany years ago. Same greenish hue colour. Bit slow on rotating bearings in the cold but it does stop water ingress into the bearings and after servicing 3 of the many fleet this weekend, have used it on a few bearings. I have used Phils grease, which is very fine and thin, but it seems to wash out the bearings too easy. Is a great race bike grease but not a winter grime grease like the Juice stuff.

andysredmini
    Free Member

As above MobilGrease XHP 222. The best I have used after trying loads.

eddiebaby
    Free Member

I have generic lithium grease and also a Halfords Teflon grease in purple. Both are greasy.

tricky-dicky
    Free Member

Where do you get the mobil stuff?
    Richard

andyrm
    Free Member

Rocol Sapphire 2 off Amazon is only £7 or so for 350g. Its a serious high performance grease, lasts 3x longer in bearings in proper industrial tests and I’ve found it definitely hits the sweet spot of longevity without adding drag.

grey

I use White Lightning Crystal. It’s a clear waterproof grease.
    454gm tub lasts for ages as you don’t have to use a huge amount of it.
    clear grease

tricky-dicky
    Free Member

Thanks for Mobil link

allan23
    Free Member

Ta, will possibly look at the Mobil stuff, I like blue.

I suspect a proper grease gun rather than a cheapy tube top thing that stops working would be an idea.

hatter

Another vote for White Lightning, big tub of it then doled out into a Dualco grease gun, had current tub for 3 years and I’m only about half way through it, seems to tick all the boxes for bearing and interface use.

It’s been tested as carbon safe, which is what swung me towards it.

scottalej
    Free Member

Motrex BIKE GREASE 2000
    Long-term grease for bicycles (FETT 2000)
    Fluorescent yellow calcium-based grease with remarkable and durable lubricating properties. MOTOREX BIKE GREASE 2000 is a highly water-repellent, extremely pressure-resistant grease. Provides enhanced resistance to oxidation and aging. Ideal for lubricating bearings, hubs, joints and headset. Does not attack elastomers and seals and prevents galvanic corrosion.

http://www.motorex.com/index.cfm?oid=1158&lang=en&webtoolDbTemp=eintragDetail&eintragId=169

jonwe
    Free Member

Morris k99 waterproof grease. Perfect for your traditional uk mountain biking. About 6 quid for 500g.

chrisdw
    Free Member

I use the motorex stuff too. It’s really Quite good. Very water proof. Got one of the massive tubs of it.

I’ve used the juice lubes stuff too. that’s also good but a pain to work with as it’s stringy!.

hypnotoad
    Free Member

That RG2 grease looks good, does anyone know if it’s lithium or calcium based?

freeagent
    Free Member

I have the following –

Generic 500g tub of ‘automotive’ grease for general jobs.
    500g Tub of coppaslip for anything I want to get undone again

Blue ‘JCB’ grease for places which are going to get wet/dirty.
    (I used to use this in Landrover wheel bearings when I did a lot of off-roading)

nedrapier

Silkolene RG2 plus a Dualco grease gun.

Me too. Tub is yeeears old. for the odd bolt on a bike or 5, I don’t see how you can get through that much. Only just got the grease gun. Fun.

That RG2 grease looks good

It does! Sparkly red. Snazziest grease out there.

And it’s racing grease. For Racing! Which explains why it’s red – red is the fastest colour, as everyone knows.

Silkolene PRO RG2 Racing Grease
    Description
    An advanced, high melting point, synthetic racing grease, PRO RG2 is a multi-functional, high performance grease with exceptional heat resisting and water-proofing properties.

PRO RG2 has outstanding water repellence, excellent corrosion inhibition properties and high resistance to water wash-off, making it an ideal choice for rally and watercraft use.

not sure about lithium/calcium base, the tech sheet is restricted for some reason.

xyeti
    Free Member

I use the Rock n Roll super web Grease and Shimano assembly paste for threads seat posts etc.

Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)

The topic ‘Dare I ask, recommend me a grease.’ is closed to new replies.