Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • danger of overinflated tyres???
  • tpbiker
    Free Member

Bough a new (2nd hand) car about a month ago and just checked the tyre pressures…

One of the front tyres had 47 psi in it!!!! Obviously its been deflated now, but will the tyre have any lasting structural damage from this ?

wrightyson
    Free Member

What car? My mazda is recommended to run at 46 with a full load.

tpbiker
    Free Member

saab 9-5 estate 3l tdi – max psi on tyre states 51. I’m assuming that with heat build up it would be pretty close to that. And thats without taking into consideration that I assume the tyre has reduced in pressure overtime from what it must have been at!

agent007
    Free Member

No damage likely, possibly a little bit more treadwear towards the centre of the tyre than normal but I wouldn’t worry if I were you provided the tyre looks otherise okay. Under-inflated tyres far, far worse as they deform and heat up whilst vehicle in motion, leading to possible failure at speed. Your car will handle much better with a the correct tyre pressures now.

mattyfez

Should be fine.. Although significantly higher than it probably needs to be, tyres, premium ones at least go through some crazy stress testing at much higher pressures than that during R&D..

alibongo001

The police run very high pressures in the tyres of their skid pan cars to reduce grip.

a, They seem to last quite long like that
    b, You may notice a little less tendency to spin the wheels when setting off.

Northwind

Very unlikely to see any damage but depending on the tyre size/structure it might cause irregular wear. But then again most folks drive around with half-flat tyres so maybe it’ll balance out over time 😉

Don’t stress about it anyway. If it was new to you, I’d assume there’s a slow puncture but if it’s been a month then it’s fine.

callmetc
    Free Member

no damage at all. maybe a bit of extra tyre wear in the middle at worst if you have a little noday car.

the max pressure is for a cold tyre also so it would be miles away from blow out territory.

Cougar

it might cause irregular wear. But then again most folks drive around with half-flat tyres

There you go. Run it at 20psi for a bit to even out the wear. (-:

sharkbait
    Free Member

My car rears are 47psi fully loaded and are that right now. Does seem high when inflating them though!

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘danger of overinflated tyres???’ is closed to new replies.