Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • Dang. Sabotaged my own bike :(
  • Northwind

So, built up the new bike. Brake hoses ridiculously long, so today I had a little spare time, decided to cut them down. Found replacement olive, undid hose, cut to length, refitted barb (went unusually well this part, it can be a pain in the baws) and olive, trial fit… Got olive stuck in brake. Eventually extract it by sticking a pop rivet into it and slightly expanding it then pulling it out but the tail. Find another replacement olive. Where has the hose nut gone? WHERE HAS THE HOSE NUT GONE?

So if you know, drop me a line. Til then, I shall be riding the old bike 🙁

scaredypants

is there a fridge nearby*

(* within 1,000 ft)

Liftman

The hose nut will be in the last place you look, so look there first :mrgreen:

Northwind

Loads 🙁 Can’t appease them all beforehand, or check them all after 🙁

organdonor
    Free Member

The hose nut will be in the last place you look, so look there first*

*see Hugo Rune’s ‘Law of Obviosity’

leffeboy

is there a fridge nearby

:D, thankyou

daveh
    Free Member

In the freehub (though this may be more applicable to pawls when pulling a freehub apart. The garage floor got a very good going over that day).

boblo
    Free Member

‘Dang’? Are we in cowboy country? 🙂

Rockdodger
    Free Member

Dont suppose it has slipped down the hose out of sight.

HermanShake
    Free Member

Have you put it on the other hose in a moment of confusion? It’s the kind of thing I’d do in a hurry 😀

Bullet

No help I know but when I shortened ny XT hose it slipped out of my hand just after I had put the olive on – actually heard it ping round the garage and then disappeared for 45 mins. Found it in the diagonally opposite corner behind a stack of wood eventually (after sweeping the floor, rooting through the rubbish, emptying the bin, swearing, stomping about etc etc) 🙂

glasgowdan
    Free Member

When buying small parts always buy 3! One you will mash up one you will lose and these lessons allow you to fit the 3rd

belugabob
    Free Member

It’ll be with my watch – which my wife ‘tidied away’ at the weekend, but can no longer find. 😉

Northwind

Rockdodger – Member

Dont suppose it has slipped down the hose out of sight.

I’ve checked that about 20 times.

Better check it again tomorrow eh, that’s exactly where it’ll be.

glasgowdan, this is a reuse part not a replace one (£11 for a new one, zomgz)

takisawa2

I bet its gone down that hole, you know…the one those Chilean miners came out of. I told them to cover the bloody thing up.

brokensoul
    Free Member

And there was me, thinking “I’m the only person who has black holes in their garage.”
    Ever lost a Hope pawl spring?

Ambrose

I always find Hope pawl springs inside ball-point pens.

Good advice from Glasgowdan, but maybe not at £11:00 a pop!!!

Cheezpleez

I lost a bolt from my fork lowers when servicing them. Spent a day and a half searching before giving up. Next weekend I picked up the fork and found it straight away, screwed into the end of the damper rod where it came from. I knew I’d put it in a safe place. 🙄

PiknMix
    Free Member

it would appear I have lost a freehub spacer!
    Stoopid garden of the wife’s has gravel everywhere, have you ever tried looking for screws, spacers in gravel? The fun doesn’t even stop there, once (if) you spot it then digging it out with your fingers just makes it fall down into the spaces between the now moved pebbles. ahhhhhhhhhh

anyone need about 5 tonne of gravel?

gavlp
    Free Member

Agree with all the posters above – it’ll be where you least expect it to be or with the various items also mentioned. Bit like my Oakley sunglassess that were placed into my wifes handbag whilst I was in hospital and have never been seen again (6 months now!).

I can guarantee that the moment you buy a replacement and go to fit it, the original part will appear, as if by magic, right in front of your nose.

kevin1911

It will either be right in front of you, camouflaged by something or it was there and has now been kicked somewhere else. Have you checked the soles of your shoes?

Northwind

Found the tool I used to remove it which you’d think would be where the nut is, nope…

So, fixed problem with money- £40 for a rear brake with a leak that I can rob parts off. Works out not bad- new rear hose for this bike (it’s got a bit of a kink) and a replacement lever gaiter thing (missing), and a new bolt to replace the slightly rounded one in the other bike, and some other spare bits.

So obviously I’m about to find the nut.

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)

The topic ‘Dang. Sabotaged my own bike :(’ is closed to new replies.