Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Damp wooden furniture help.
  • Harry_the_Spider

We’ve got an old pine dressing table and a section of it feels damp. When we got it we thought that it had got wet in transit, but 18 months later a 6” patch on one edge still feels damp to the touch.

What is it?

Do I need to do something about it?

bagpuss72
    Free Member

18 months later is a bit weird? It is a soft wood I guess that reacts to atmosphere and should be kept away from radiators etc perhaps it also soaks up damp from floors? What surface is it on / room is it in? Mold?

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

We have something similar in one of our stripped pine doors – feels like it might be damp…but it’s just a part of the timber…might just be an exposed “sappy” bit. Took me ages to convince mrs deadly that there wasn’t a mystery “invisible” leak.

I’ll take a pic and post it, see if you think it might be something similar.

Harry_the_Spider

It looks the same as the rest of it. Edge of dressing table in my daughter’s bedroom. Nowhere near a radiator. It seems to feel damp when the weather is damp. Very odd.

I’m just worried that the damn thing is rotting.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Try taping a bit of kitchen roll to it. Does it get damp? Or tape a piece of clear polythene (shopping bag or the likes) to it with duct tape and check for condensation. If there’s none, it won’t be damp.

miketually
    Free Member

Put it inside a Tupperware tun of rice. Or is that just phones?

bagpuss72
    Free Member

or wrap it in a towel put it in the airing cupboard……

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘Damp wooden furniture help.’ is closed to new replies.