Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Damp behind kitchen cupboards, York help please
  • tom84
    Free Member

Anti damp cavity filler? Industrial dehumidifier hire?

New rented house (York) has a damp smell in the kitchen. It looks like someone has stuffed newspaper behind the units where also the drains stink. My girlriend and the flatmate have been blaming their coughs on the damp. I looked up the street (shipton st) and couldn’t find evidence of past flooding but there was mention of drain-issues on the net.

Before we get environmental health around is there something basic we can do to help combat the problem. I was thinking taking the newspaper out and getting some kind of treatment but I don’t know whats out there. ANy thoughts? Thanks

martinhutch

New rented house

What does your landlord say about it?

blader1611
    Free Member

Can you see any reason as to why the paper has been stuffed in there i.e. Blocking a draughty hole etc? It really wont help with air movement there thus could build up damp from high humidity associated with kitchen use. Try those cheapy moisture traps for a temp fix.

tom84
    Free Member

Sorry, reread and it is misleading. The house is only new to us. Landlord unwilling to discuss or do anything about it, basically denying it is there.

lambchop
    Free Member

Remove the paper, check for leaks under the sink. Kitchen sink wastes often get food, fat, matter lurking in them. Best practice would be to dismantle the waste and clean out. Failing that get some sink unblocker and follow the instructions. Then run the hot tap for half an hour to rinse through

matt_outandabout

Has the house been empty?
    Any leaky gutters or wind blown rain?
    Does house sit on hill or slope?
    Where is outside ground level, relative to damp area?
    What heat is there and has it been on yet?
    What humidity in house – do you have external extraction or open window when cooking?

tom84
    Free Member

Wow, all this is really interesting and helpful, thnanks. Think it (the practical advice) shows we have been assuming a worst case scenario a bit.

Frankenstein
    Free Member

I ripped out the damp panels and checked the wall out.

Firstly I treated the walls inside and out. Filled in any gaps, damp treated the walls.

Then I also replaced the insides of the cupboards with damp proofing board that looked like mdf but can’t remember what it was called.

Bloody difficult to get in there without ripping a worktop off, so I used plastic screw thingy blocks to join the sides together, worked a treat.

Not hard to do.

You should not have to do this if renting. Unless your landlord gives you a discount/permission for you to do the work.

cvilla

Is the newspaper damp, take everything out and have a good look. Maybe an old leak but still check all joints, damp may have gotten into sink base or timbers etc.
    Check leaks, clean out look for rot, ventilate, see if smell goes away. Easy for waste or pipe leaks to be steady and take a while before getting noticed.
    Take photos as you go as evidence to take to landlord, they may not do anything depends on rental market in your area, do you like staying there? If so wee what you can do. Good luck. Heating and ventilation once leaks water source sorted.

bluearsedfly
    Free Member

What date is on the newspaper?

Might point a finger to who was in there when it was stuffed in ie trying to hide the problem.

fisha
    Free Member

LET It air for a few weeks and see how it is. In ripping out my kitchen I discovered a damp corner which I panicked about, but it was also back stuffed with insulation. Took it all out and after a few weeks any dampness had gone. In putting the new units in, I’ve left ventilation and will check it periodically.

The issue with damp is to let things air. Read up on rising damp and the current thoughts on letting walls breathe.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Clean it out let it air and take pics, possibly suggest it may be worse to the landlord etc.

spooky_b329

It sounds like no visible damp problem, just a smell?

In that case, really stinky drains (you’d probably be able to narrow that one down already though) or the previous tenant fell out with landlord and left a present behind the units?!

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Damp behind kitchen cupboards, York help please’ is closed to new replies.