Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 41 total)
  • Damon Hill
  • hora
    Free Member

Interesting snippet and as usual self-depreciating about his own talents. Following Schu in torrential rain ..you were quite close behind in heavier spray Damon…

http://www.skysports.com/f1/news/12433/10607140/damon-hill-opens-up-on-his-f1-career-the-death-of-ayrton-senna-and-fighting-michael-schumacher

Top bloke, if only he had gotten into F1 in his 20’s.

jimmy

He must be, what, 60+ by now? He looks like someone who has been made up for a film to look old rather than actually old.

captainsasquatch
    Free Member

Top bloke, if only he had gotten into F1 in his 20’s.

😐

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    gonefishin
    Free Member

Past Participle of GET.

Chiefly North American, however it dates back to Middle English.

Pigface
    Free Member

He used to race LC’s and was Capitol Radios bikey, win a prize and Damon would deliver it to you.

BoardinBob

slowoldman

Lovely bloke. Should be more like him in sport.

Houns

Have a lot of time for Hill, great guy

bikebouy
    Free Member

I really like Damon, after he left F1 he became cool.

captainsasquatch
    Free Member

Chiefly North American, however it dates back to Middle English.

So it’s ye olde way they speaketh in some parts(and incorrect in modern language)?

pondo

Just started his book, which is a fantastic read thus far – always been a big fan.

ransos
    Free Member

So it’s ye olde way they speaketh in some parts(and incorrect in modern language)?

It’s unusual (in modern British English), but not incorrect.

njee20
    Free Member

Met him about 10 years back when I worked in the LBS. Lovely chap, happy to chat, signed an autograph. Like him a lot.

milky1980
    Free Member

He was in my old hometown doing a book signing in the local pub recently, went along with my dad. Had plenty of time to chat to us and everyone else who turned up. Good impressions were made (us of him, he probably though we were strange 😆 )

captainsasquatch
    Free Member

Happy to learn and see a link where it’s acceptable in Brit Eng, otherwise I’m happy it’s wrong as only used by very, very, very old fogies and N. Americans.

onewheelgood

Used to be friends with a guy who lived next to him in Shenley, had some good parties. Then I remember watching him race bikes at Brands – he was good. I’d have liked to see him race bikes at the top level rather than cars, but he’s always seemed like a really decent bloke.

hora
    Free Member

He wasn’t never comfortable with the media. Can you imagine him snapchatting? 😀

Oh and yes he should have gotten into F1 earlier, he was very good at setting up and testing cars.

tpbiker
    Free Member

top bloke which I’m not sure I could say about the majority of top F1 drivers. Jenson seems a good lad as well.

CountZero

Happy to learn and see a link where it’s acceptable in Brit Eng, otherwise I’m happy it’s wrong as only used by very, very, very old fogies and N. Americans.
    There are parts of the Appalachian mountains wher the people stil speak a form of Elizabethan English.
    Fall, for Autumn is and old English term.
    You should read Bill Bryson’s book Mother Tongue, you might learn something about ‘English’ English, and ‘American’ English, and the history of both, like 18th Century Americans complaining about ‘their language’ being corrupted by the introduction of ‘English’ words…
    Two societies, divided by a common language…

pondo

You should read Bill Bryson’s book Mother Tongue

+1, and Made In America.

bencooper
    Free Member

I use gotten all the time – is it a Scottish thing too?

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

Don’t use use use too Ben? 😉

Talking of used, Hill used to live nearby and opposite a friend. Always seems a very nice if quiet guy. Not sure his luxury car business worked though.

hora
    Free Member

He owns Audi dealerships still?

senorj

Many years ago ,he showed me a lovely fire road shortcut, from the pit area of the Spa GP to the main road. Saved us a long wait in traffic. Nice one Damon.

captainsasquatch
    Free Member

And still no one can link anything that demonstrates that gotten is acceptable in British English. Probably because it’s not.
    https://en.oxforddictionaries.com/definition/gotten
    Are we going to lose the present perfect too, and then try and defend the loss?
    I see it like business speak in that the writer/speaker is trying to sound smarter than they are, and fail miserably.
    Damon done good as a driver.

kilo

I wonder what Hill has done with all his earnings, obviously he deserved the cash so it wasn’t ill gotten gains

captainsasquatch
    Free Member

I see what you done there, to use an expression to not prove a point.

kilo

Yes your correct no one uses gotten in modern day english

Ched Evans – Not Guilty 68 TheArtistFormerlyKnownAsSTR 9 hours
    P-Jay :: post # 6
    … o the truth IMO. Agreed – it’s a shit case all round really, a dirty sordid thing happened, and it was worth investigating but I suspect it wouldn’t have gotten past the CPS if he wasn’t a footballer. Being able to use the image of young footballers being arseholes (most fit the profile it seems) made it more pros …

bike Almost had Deer for Dinner (video and Swinley content) 14 acidtest 20 hours
    rs89 :: post # 2
    … I’ve got pretty close a few times riding out around the Surrey hills! Closest I have ever gotten was on Yoghurt Pots where one emerged about 2m in front of me a speed. Cue a fistful of brake and much skidding. It foxtrot oscared long before I woul …

bike lefty wheel not coming off… 7 sefton 4 days
    z1ppy :: post # 4
    … good call from Stumpy, but otherwise my ‘old’ style lefty, if you’ve gotten the axle bolt completely loose, then (as long as the caliper is removed) the wheel will come off. …

bike Silly Commuter Racing – Beaten by an e-bike 36 kerley 6 days
    Ben_H :: post # 4
    … y nature), on a 5-mile series of uphills. A bit less impressive than the OP, as I expect it was limited to 15mph – but I was well-chuffed and could have gotten past in places. …

chat Do you have £100 in savings? 177 hammy7272 1 week
    bikebouy :: post # 110
    … e me but my opinion is that those who have less than £100 in savings must be young’ish and brought up during Tony Blairs Credit Bonanza, and they’ve just gotten used to obtaining 0% interest Credit Cards and used to living in debt. It’ll change drastically 18mths post Brexit, but then those folk will all be a litt …

captainsasquatch
    Free Member

kilo – Member

Yes your correct no one uses gotten in modern day english

Ched Evans – Not Guilty 68 TheArtistFormerlyKnownAsSTR 9 hours
    P-Jay :: post # 6
    … o the truth IMO. Agreed – it’s a shit case all round really, a dirty sordid thing happened, and it was worth investigating but I suspect it wouldn’t have gotten past the CPS if he wasn’t a footballer. Being able to use the image of young footballers being arseholes (most fit the profile it seems) made it more pros …

bike Almost had Deer for Dinner (video and Swinley content) 14 acidtest 20 hours
    rs89 :: post # 2
    … I’ve got pretty close a few times riding out around the Surrey hills! Closest I have ever gotten was on Yoghurt Pots where one emerged about 2m in front of me a speed. Cue a fistful of brake and much skidding. It foxtrot oscared long before I woul …

bike lefty wheel not coming off… 7 sefton 4 days
    z1ppy :: post # 4
    … good call from Stumpy, but otherwise my ‘old’ style lefty, if you’ve gotten the axle bolt completely loose, then (as long as the caliper is removed) the wheel will come off. …

bike Silly Commuter Racing – Beaten by an e-bike 36 kerley 6 days
    Ben_H :: post # 4
    … y nature), on a 5-mile series of uphills. A bit less impressive than the OP, as I expect it was limited to 15mph – but I was well-chuffed and could have gotten past in places. …

chat Do you have £100 in savings? 177 hammy7272 1 week
    bikebouy :: post # 110
    … e me but my opinion is that those who have less than £100 in savings must be young’ish and brought up during Tony Blairs Credit Bonanza, and they’ve just gotten used to obtaining 0% interest Credit Cards and used to living in debt. It’ll change drastically 18mths post Brexit, but then those folk will all be a litt …

And their all wrong!
    Lol.

peter1979
    Free Member

They’re

no_eyed_deer
    Free Member

Rong.

captainsasquatch
    Free Member

peter1979 – Member

They’re
    Yet you’re OK with the past participle not the past and the splitting of the infinitive and infinitive over the gerund. Odd.
    I really would to hate to be a teacher where no one wants to learn and everyone think they is an expert.
    I’m literally laughing and crying at the same time.

Euro
    Free Member

Fucketh offeth you wab!

captainsasquatch
    Free Member

Euro – Member

Fucketh offeth you wab!
    Potty mouth you have.

Euro
    Free Member

Nope. Potty fingers 😀

Defender
    Free Member

Top bloke, under rated driver, he didn’t have the natural ability of Senna or Schumacher, what he had was guts and determination.

pondo

As previously mentioned I’m reading his biog at the mo – feels like the ghost of his father was a massive burden (and understandably so – a giant of a character).

ScottChegg
    Free Member

feels like the ghost of his father was a massive burden

It was a huge financial burden. The family lost everything to pay for the other victims of the plane crash.

I admire the clarity his son had while racing. He realised he wasn’t good enough and gave it up.

If only Ralf Schu had had the same objectivity.

pondo

It was a huge financial burden. The family lost everything to pay for the other victims of the plane crash.

I know, it says in the book I’m reading. :p I’m talking more in terms of expectation and the early loss of such an influential character.

hora
    Free Member

Natural talent? Ability?

115 starts
    42 of which were podiums
    22 wins
    20 poles
    19 fastest laps

Remember the car was one that Senna famously said wasn’t driveable.

3rd x once in WDC
    2nd x twice in WDC
    F1 champion.

He was up against arguably the best.

He was also up against a team that cheated repeatedly.

He was easily a double champion.

He had bags of talent and ability. Many didn’t and don’t

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 41 total)

The topic ‘Damon Hill’ is closed to new replies.