• This topic has 17 replies, 14 voices, and was last updated 10 years ago by DezB.
Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Damon Albarn Culture Show
  • CountZero

Anyone watching? The opening shot of him on the beach, I know exactly where that is. I’d heard rumours he had a cottage down that way, but I was a bit surprised to see a place I know really, really well on TV.
    It’s Hallsands, in Start Bay, South Devon.
    Kate Bush has a house further along the coast as well.
    [/url]
    Hallsands, South Devon by CountZero1, on Flickr[/img]

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Celebrity Stalker Alert!!!

wiggles
    Free Member

Wtf is up with the bars on his bike?!?!

DezB
    Free Member

I like him, but the music seems awfully dull.
    So, off to bed.

CountZero

mikewsmith – Member
    Celebrity Stalker Alert!!!

Not quite, I used to holiday down there with my family around ’69-70, and went down there again for the first time since then three years ago, staying in the pub in Beesands, the next village along. Hallsands has quite a history, destroyed by a terrible storm in 1917, after the protective shingle bank out in the bay was dredged to build Devonport Dockyard.
    History rather repeats itself…

somafunk

Have to admit to having a great deal of respect for him musically, he’s a tireless campaigner for musicians rights in northern Africa (specifically mali) over the past few years and he’s brought the stories of persecuted musicians to the attention of the western media and politicians who otherwise couldn’t care a toss.

PJ266
    Free Member

Was down there at the start of the month, just in time for the storm/tides. It was exciting but heart breaking to see peoples houses destroyed in Torcross.

You seen the state of the Line after last week?

bikebouy
    Free Member

Rather enjoyed that prog, not being a “fan” per se’ but an admirer of the Gorillaz thing he did and his days with Blur filled my ears, like many.
    But I admire his attitude, don’t know if riding his bike with his guitar on his back was staged but it was nice to see him catch the train to homelands past and give an insight to his life then and now.
    I enjoyed it.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

I enjoyed it too. Even if that feeling is now a little emptier because of it not making Debz’s ears happy.

kelvin

Some of it felt like a spoof… but the new tunes sounded lovely.

binners

I’ve recorded it (as Uncle was on 3). Interesting how things change, isn’t it? At the height of the Blur/Oasis thing, when he was churning out bilge like Country House, and doing the whole mockney carry on, I thought he was an utter cockwomble

But since then the stuff he’s done has got more and more interesting, at the same time that Oasis tested the law of diminishing returns to destruction, and evolved into the worst sub-Quo pub- rock bores imaginable

Alex James is still an utter bell end though 🙂

MrWoppit
    Free Member

How dare he have all that money and live somewhere so nice when the rest of us etc etc etc… He’ll be asking for flood relief next the b+st+rd and so on ad infinitum.

scud
    Free Member

I like a lot of the music he has done, Blur, Gorillaz, Bobby Womack;s album etc, but sometimes you do want to shake him and say cheer up!!

DezB
    Free Member

He was on the superb Child of Lov album last year.
    There’ll never be another one though, RIP Martijn Teerlinck.

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WzlyGcIcrtA[/video]

cynic-al
    Free Member

I think he’s one of British pop’s few recent genuises (though I am no expert).

captain_bastard
    Free Member

he’s a tireless campaigner for musicians rights in northern Africa (specifically mali) over the past few years

i heard most of the musicians in Mali think he’s a prize tool

MrWoppit
    Free Member

😆

Adam Ant: “When I heard he’d (Albarn) said that he was going to punch my head in for stealing his girlfriend, I stood next to him for half an hour at a gig, staring. He did nothing…”

DezB
    Free Member

Knowing Adam’s history it probably wasn’t even Damon Albarn 😉

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘Damon Albarn Culture Show’ is closed to new replies.