Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • Damned tax man!
  • WorldClassAccident
    Free Member

This is no whining about paying tax so don’t flame me for that.

The tax man sets your tax code based on your previous years earnings.
    You pay a proportion of tax determined by that tax code.
    You do your tax return which is pretty much unchanged from last year.
    You get a demand for £1,478 payable by the end of the month!

The company heath policy went up from £405 to £435. That was THE ONLY CHANGE.

When did they decide they wanted an extra £1500 quid? Why didn’t they put it in the code to begin with?

It is a good job it is January when the bank balance is loaded. God help me if it was the month after Christmas…

…oh, it is

gonefishin
    Free Member

It is a good job it is January when the bank balance is loaded. God help me if it was the month after Christmas…

…oh, it is

I take that this is a self assessment that you could have completed just about any time after the 6th April and then budgeted accordingly?

spacemonkey

I experienced something similar in a previous job about 10 years ago. Was told by HMRC that I owed them £1100 as a result of incorrect tax calc made by my employer. I was stumped as were Payroll people. After a couple of days they admitted under-calculating my tax in the May in question by that amount! Not happy, but still had to pay it within something like 7 days.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    jam-bo

just wait a day or two.

I had a tax demand for £1500 this time last year.
    Followed by one for £500 a couple of days later.
    Followed by a cheque for £150 a couple of days after that…

GrahamS

We got a massive demand (6 grand IIRC) for tax last year. Turns out the missus had been on the wrong tax code for a couple of years!

We filed an ESC A19 and they wrote the lot off!

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

I take that this is a self assessment that you could have completed just about any time after the 6th April and then budgeted accordingly?

who the hell does that???

anjs
    Free Member

Well had the same thing as Graham but even after them sending me confirmation of writing it off they still sent me another tax code with it back on. I ended up have 8 different codes varying from a minus one to 1212 over the space of 6 months. Oh each time I called them there was normally a good 45 mins on hold so cost me even more money.

WorldClassAccident
    Free Member

Gonefishing – I wish foresight was as good as hind sight. There was me following the advice of a financial advisor instead of you. 😉

gonefishin
    Free Member

It’s something that I’ve never understood (this is a general comment about tax returns and not a dig at you) as there is no penalty for submitting the return early in the year. If they find that you owe them tax you still don’t have to pay up until the end of January and if they owe you money, you can get your hands on it sooner.

footflaps

I’m PAYE and been with the same company on the same salary for several years (no pay rises here). I still get a new tax code every month and sometimes several in one month.

I’m pretty convinced their new billion dollar tax system has a rnd() function left in the code as a joke from someone……

bokonon
    Free Member

who the hell does that???

Guilty. My returns get filed before the middle of April so that I know i can afford to pay it. (although it’s only a paltry amount of royalties from a book, not an actual job).

Doesn’t stop cock ups though – I had it all sorted and then changed jobs, my new employer underpaid my student loan payments and now i have to pay them through my self assessment tax instead – if I didn’t do SA then I wouldn’t have had to pay it.

MadPierre

Thought you could just get them to adjust your code for next year to take off what you owe?

Richie_B

Similar position to footflaps here except two years ago we all had a 15% pay cut. Customs & revenue don’t seem to be able to get their heads round drops in salary and seem to have had a different tax code on average every two months with regular letters saying I’ve either paid too much/too little (usually within a couple of days of each other). This is after three years of being taxed on out of pocket expenses dispite numerous assurances they had altered their records and it wouldn’t happen again.

WorldClassAccident
    Free Member

MadPierre – you can in theory pay it back the following year but every time I have requested that I am told it is not an option for me but no explanation why not.

phead
    Free Member

Are you sure the tax return was correct?

I once filled in Tax Paid into the Tips Earned box, that led to a shocking letter!

gonefishin
    Free Member

you can in theory pay it back the following year but every time I have requested that I am told it is not an option for me but no explanation why not.

It used to be the case that for tax owed of less than £2000 you could have a tax code adjustment, but for anything more it was a lump sum. This may have changed now.

Sui
    Free Member

This has happened to me as well – two letters in as many months, it all surrounds my deployment to Afghan in 2008 – why the **** do they think they have a right to go chasing shit 4 years old – it was their balls up after many phone calls telling them the tax code was wrong – they are w a nkers plain and simple, though surprisingly inept when it comes to tax affairs of companies (our last audit by them gave us a clean bill of health – lol i did)… i may have a look at that ESC A19 thing as it will make 2013/2014 incredibly tight, verging on going into the red.

br
    Free Member

On PAYE I went through one year where I got a new tax code pretty much every month – in the end I authorised our Payroll Manager to discuss my details with HMRC…

craigxxl
    Free Member

OP, are you sure the tax code 2012/13 wasn’t to collect taxes from the previous year 2010/11 and the liability for this year is correct. If this is how you normally pay your tax you have missed the deadline for it to be collected through your tax code during 2013/14 and now have it to pay in full instead.

maccruiskeen

Turns out the missus had been on the wrong tax code for a couple of years!

My dad was on the wrong tax code for 11 years after he had changed jobs the HMRC lost his file. Luckliy he was over paying rather than underpaying as his employer kept using the tax code he arrived with. My mum started getting letters addressed to her asking if she was still married to him, whether he still lived at home, they even wrote to ask if he was still alive (having already had it confirmed that he was both still at home and still married to her). Finally the fessed up that they’d lost all record of him and were curious about where all this tax his employer were paying was coming from. He only got 7 years of the 11 refunded but it was enough to buy a new car.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

The topic ‘Damned tax man!’ is closed to new replies.