Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 50 total)
  • Damn..been offered a job
  • oldgit
    Free Member

Don’t know what to do now.
    My business has been suffering for two years due to heavy losses a and the reccession. It used to turn over 3/4 million in sales, now it barely survives.
    It could get better it could get worse.

I have been offered a job, okay salary and car with a national in the same business.
    Though that’s just a job and at 65 it’s goodbye.

?

philconsequence
    Free Member

is there a question that’s meant to slot in before that question mark?

😛

oldgit
    Free Member

I suppose so, as in wht would you do, but only I can answer that one.

nmdbase
    Free Member

Whoo hooo

baldSpot
    Free Member

working for the man does has it’s benefits. 5pm on a Friday you get to “switch off” for 48hrs, guaranteed money every month, pension, etc….

BigJohn

I’m in a similar position.

Yes, I could get some short term security, but would it drive me mad being an employee again, and as we’re all supposed to live to 100 what am I going to do for that last 35 years?

oldgit
    Free Member

It would be nice to do what I’m doing now but with unlimited funds behind me.
    The other issue will be sorting out a plan for my future as this business is my current one.

iDave
    Free Member

I’ve always tried to avoid being an employer or an employee. Neither is healthy.

hels
    Free Member

Are you not the guy that was posting recently about thinking of trading your wife in ?? Or was that somebody else ??

Just curious, sounds like lots of change all at once for you. But less to hand over after the divorce….

oldgit
    Free Member

Are you not the guy that was posting recently about thinking of trading your wife in ?? Or was that somebody else ??

No not me, I wouldn’t bless her. Still what you offering. 🙂

hels
    Free Member

Sorry (who was that then ?? I sure he was git somebody – desparategit maybe)

Anyways – one of those decisions that you won’t know if you got it right until after sadly – can somebody run the business for you while you take the job ??

ScottChegg
    Free Member

I remeber all those posts about your court shenanigans. You could leave all that nonsense to someone else, too.

bikebouy
    Free Member

Hmmm.. you could commit to the new job for a short period of time whilst your business is in “slow mode”
    Could help, might not, you might not be totally commited to the new venture, but you might just need a jolt to get the mojo working in a different angle..
    Ya never know.

kerv
    Free Member

I was self employed for years and it was mostly great, got a proper job 3.5 yrs ago when the littluns arrived. I have been gobsmacked by the pettiness, the little hitlers and just general skyhigh bullsh*t levels. Now about to lose my job and go back to self employment. Don’t work for someone else!

toys19
    Free Member

I have been chased by a supplier to the oil co’s in houston basically pipeline modelling, mega dosh, full family relocation etc.
    But compared to running my own show, I might as well accept a prison sentence for the money – 14 days hols a year, no naffin off early, or not coming in at all.. Live vs Work. Life wins every time..

xcgb
    Free Member

at 65 it’s goodbye

employers cant do that anymore, stay as long as you want

meehaja
    Free Member

My brother in law was in a similar situation, in that after building a very successful business he was offered a job with a national competitor. Sick pay/holiday and company car appealed and being in the same industry, he was able to maintain his relationship with his larger customers.

He also runs a small online company dealing with his old smaller customers, the money from this finances holidays etc.

toby1

Also, you plan for your future can only work if it’s a company making money not costing you money.

Anyway, who cares for the future – live for the day!

neilsonwheels
    Free Member

Though that’s just a job and at 65 it’s goodbye

Happy days then.

crikey
    Free Member

You might have to have a haircut though…… 😉

oldgit
    Free Member

You might have to have a haircut though

The hairs getting shorter, but I’m growing some wicked Ron Haslam sideburns.

The pay offer isn’t too shabby, and I’m liking the guarantee side of things after two years of struggling and near bankruptcy.
    And like meehajas brother in law, I could set up a small concern selling just one product that I know sells well and is double your money.

geoffj

Take the job on part time?

How secure is it likely to be? Aren’t we all double dipping?

oldgit
    Free Member

How secure is it likely to be? Aren’t we all double dipping?

Pretty damn secure, I also worked for them for 12 years before I started up on my own.
    Someone mentioned holidays, just because you’re self employed doesn’t mean you can take time off. With me it’s the opposite, I’ve not had a weeks holiday since summer 2009 and just one day off this year.

randomjeremy
    Free Member

1: Go and work for the national
    2: Steal some customers
    3: ????
    4: Profit

marsdenman
    Free Member

Think it’s best you do the ‘simple’ old thing – sit down and write a list of Pro’s and Con’s to both, get Mrs OG to do a lists as well – separately to give you an alternative perspective.
    Then, talk it all through..
    IIRC you recently had the thought about opening something bike related – maybe’s throw that into the mix as well?
    Good luck with it all…

oldgit
    Free Member

My whole weeks in limbo now.
    The guy that offered the job is away for the week, and I’m suddenly thinking ‘is this a firm offer’ or just an idea on his behalf.

I can walk out of my premises now as rents paid up to end of September and the lease is just monthly now.
    I’ve got money coming in end of August, a VAT refund this month and I hardly owe a penny.
    Problem is I’ve no work until December, and I won’t get paid for that until February.

Tempted to go for it and grab a sallary before what I have dwindles. And it gives me a month plus to sell my stock, tools, racking etc.

?

wrightyson
    Free Member

If you owe little can’t you just mothball your private business? Or even take someone on to replace you, pay them less than you paid you and hope it picks up. Also as mentioned above I like the “stealing customers” advice!

iDave
    Free Member

Hopefully the new boss bloke doesn’t know that you have no work until December?

oldgit
    Free Member

iDave
    With help I would have plenty, but the banks wont touch me. I’ve been sending my manager details of all the jobs I’ve won but can’t do due to lack of funds.
    In 2009 I won a three year contract to supply lamps to several airports, even with the order in my hand they wouldn’t help.
    Although I’d be ‘working for the man’ I like the idea of being able to work with a budget that’ll support my efforts.
    Sad though, but I can’t risk another downturn especia;y if this is a firm offer.

oldgit
    Free Member

If you owe little can’t you just mothball your private business? Or even take someone on to replace you, pay them less than you paid you and hope it picks up. Also as mentioned above I like the “stealing customers” advice!

It’s an idea that is being looked at. As well as supplying one particular from home.

konabunny
    Free Member

Dunno how old you are or exactly what you do, oldgit, but say you could spend the next 5 years in the industry working for someone else, networking with all the clients and suppliers, going to all the tedious meetings and conferences etc at their expense, meeting promising young ‘uns, not working an hour more than you have to…and then when you retire/get bored/get made redundant, you work in the same line part-time or from home or employ a good young one to do the grunt work.

JCornford

Could there be a third option, what about if they buy you out and then employ you?

hels
    Free Member

“work with a budget that will support my efforts” I’ve heard of that company – is that the Unicorn Rental Shop, conveniently located on the Yellow Brick Road in Brigadoon ??

Rather an idealist view of any type of organisation I would suggest !!

duckman

Go back and work for the man, if the banks are blocking you, I know from what they did to my Dad’s business that mindset will never change.They view you as a short term/shaky operation and charge you for everything,yes? sods all of them.

petey74
    Free Member

I can only imagine feeling regrets if you were to give up your own business

oldgit
    Free Member

Could there be a third option, what about if they buy you out and then employ you?

Technically that’s what they’d be doing anyway.

True, but I’ve had the good times, nearly lost the lot, fought to get it back and survived the reccession so far. Tired out really. Anyway I might keep it going in some form, we’ll see.

geordiemick00
    Free Member

and even bigger regrets should he hang onto it if this offer passes him by and then the business drags him down.

I was shafted by the banks in 2007 and ended up bankrupt for £130K, I hate the banks like no other but removing my emotion and hatred for the C U Next Tuesday’s I say take the offer and be an employee. No VAT man, no accountants, no bank managers making you feel like they’re a life support machine and feel the freedom to re-invent yourself….

I did it and even now as I type this 4 years later, on my notice after being made redundant I have no regrets at all.

good luck whichever way you go

konabunny
    Free Member

Anyway I might keep it going in some form,

Careful now. You’re not allowed to compete with your employer during the time of your employment unless you agree with the employer than you can compete. Of course, if your side business is in a different market, then it may be OK.

marsdenman
    Free Member

Also as mentioned above I like the “stealing customers” advice!

That’s business but, it works both ways…

Technically that’s what they’d be doing anyway.

<devil’s advocate> are they taking you on for you or for your client list?
    The former – I guess they know your abilities and what you could offer their business long term. The latter – they want your contacts, know your position, make you an offer, make the hay with your contacts, make you redundant?

That said – sounds like you’re happy with the salary offer so, when did your business last pay you that / when might it pay you that?
    Would taking the paid role lighten your mental load enough / put funds in the bank to give you the option to really think through your ‘bike shop’ idea, as mentioned on a earlier thread?
    You mentioned building frames – if that really would give you pleasure then maybe building frames could be something you do on the the side – it’s not interfering with you day job? It might build into something, then again it might just it might earn ‘holiday money’?

oldgit
    Free Member

I’d be better off with the job, money, time workload the lot.

They want me for who and what I know.

As for the bike thing, a lots on my mind right now. But the current thinking is get funds behind me, perhaps train myself and fulfill my dream of being an artisan.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 50 total)

The topic ‘Damn..been offered a job’ is closed to new replies.