Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Damn you Superstar!!
  • daviek

Looking at the wheels at SS since I got the email this morning about the 20% off deal, now the question!

I would like to try out tubeless and there’s a wheelset that looks spot on for the little I want to spend but no mention of tubeless, they are the Alexrims Supra30 set by the way.

Just under them is the Alexrims XCR set which are tubeless compatible but not sure if they may be a little of the flimsy side. I don’t do DH or overly rough stuff so I’m stuck at the minute with what to choose

Supra30 are sturdier but could they be coaxed into going tubeless? The XCR wheels look good to me but not sure about how strong they will be.

If it makes any difference im about 10st dripping wet.

Any advice would be welcomed!

chakaping
    Free Member

The Tech 4 wheels are really good (and tubeless compatible).

Dunno if they are in budget?

daviek

They are fine price wise with the 20% off and I never noticed them…. me being a numptie I never noticed the second page of wheels ……

Again though would the wheels that they have down as XC be sturdy enough? I’m fairly sure that for what I do and my size they will be but I’ve no experiance in buying wheels.

chakaping
    Free Member

I have the DS25 rims on the Tech4 wheels, sounds like you could get away with the 23mm versions.

I’d be wary of going narrower if you plan to run 2.35in tyres.

mattyfez

I like to err on the side of safety with wheels, as I’m quite a lump, so I’d go with am spec although my riding is more XC, I justify the marginally heavier build because I’m a clutz at times and if I bust a spoke or two I can still ride home gently without panicking that my wheel is about to collapse!

5thElefant
    Free Member

I’m 15 stone and run xc wheels. No problems at Welsh trail centres. Hard to imagine you could break a wheel at 10 stone without jumping off cliffs.

pickle
    Free Member

Not sure what your budget is but I just bought one of these (Rear) on the recommendation of a few on here and it is superb. Very light but the Alex rim is nice and wide, tubeless compatible as well.

https://www.merlincycles.com/pro-build-chosen-hub-alex-volar-trail-wheels-26-82071.html

daviek

Cheers for the replies, I’ll have a look tonight and see if I can actually make a decision.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘Damn you Superstar!!’ is closed to new replies.