Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Dammit. New rear tyre too wide – help for a replacement please.
  • twonks

Just bought and fitted a Magic Mary to the front and Hand Dampf 2.3 to the rear of my bike (Ibis Mojo SLR), and think the rear is too wide.

Looks to be 2 to 3 mm clearance each side and I thought it would be ok but, a ride out today had me sure I heard it rub very slightly coming off a burmed corner. (The frame is ok and all the bearings have just been replaced so the rear triangle is square and solid)

Bit of a nuasance as I’ve also filled it with stans liquid, so returning it to CRC is most likely a no-no.

If I keep it in the Schwalbe family, what works well on the back (26″) with Mary up front, and is slightly narrower than the HD?

Went with these pair due to the reviews they get and I just fancied a change from worn out Purgatorys.

I’m a big boy at 250lb and ride anything apart from DH and jumps.

nickjb
    Free Member

Mine used to rub a tiny bit during extreme movement. I didn’t really think much of it but before long it had worn through. Luckily a fellow forumite had a spare swing arm for me. I was a bit more conservative after that.

twonks

Hi Nick. Hence the reason I’ll not be riding with it on again!

Think a 2.25 Nobby Nic is the way to go, assuming it really is 2.25 and not the same size as a HD 😆

lawman91

Ran a 2.35 hans dampf and a rock razor in the back of my old Mojo HD and there was a slight bit of rub I only noticed when cleaning it. 2.25 nobby nic was fine.

andyl
    Free Member

trim the side knobs off?

Superficial
    Free Member

Conti Mountain Kings have a similar tread pattern (to HD) but they’re a bit narrower.

Nobby Nics too thin for me – a very different tyre to the HD IMHO, I got loads of punctures with them and wouldn’t go near them again. I know they’re supposedly 2.25 compared with 2.35 but the HDs are massive so if they almost fit the Nics will fit easy.

If you want a tyre that’s robust and grippy and is similar weight to HD (without being as big volume-wise) then I’d go for a high roller or equivalent Maxxis. Get a Sharpie if you’re that bothered about branding…

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

The topic ‘Dammit. New rear tyre too wide – help for a replacement please.’ is closed to new replies.