Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • Damaged rear hub. Fixable?
  • borgia
    Free Member

Hey, hoping some of you might be able to help me. I’ve got a rear wheel with a shimano m475 hub. However, I somehow managed to mangle the dust cover, on what I assume to be the left hand cone, aswell as half of the ridge that the dust cover sits in. Heres a photo;

Basically I just want to know if this is fixable? Am I right in thinking that the mangled part is just a dust cover, and does it count as part of the cone? I’ve looked at the manual for this particular hub but this part doesn’t seem to be in the manual. If sits possible, where can I buy a new one from??

Cheers for any help, borgia.

Keef
    Free Member

LOL,yes it’s fixable,no you can’t buy a spare part for it.
    if you can find an old hub,you can get a cover out of it,but,they’re not easy to change,as they’re not supposed to be re-used.
    good old Sh1tmano !
    if you’re any where near Birmingham,I could fix it for you.

cynic-al
    Free Member

You can get spare cones with dust caps.

Keef
    Free Member

cynic,where ?
    last time I asked at a Shimano stockist lbs,they said that cones and seals are listed,but they’d never been able to order them,as they were always ‘out of stock’,’discontinued’ or ‘unobtainable.

I’d be very interested to find a source myself.

markenduro
    Free Member

Yes it is fixable, but probably best to let someone with cone spanners and proper tools do it as it looks like your hammer and chisel method has failed miserably 😀

Have an old dead one of those with undamaged parts which you can have if you are near the Burton on Trent/Derby area

borgia
    Free Member

Hey, cheers for the replys guys! I managed to find a site that sells the right hand cone, but not the left!
    http://www.sjscycles.co.uk/shimano-rear-right-cone-30g-9050-fits-fh-a550-m475-c-w-seal-ring-m10-x-15mm-prod22258/

None of the left hand cones on the site seem to be the same.

I’ve got some cone spanners etc mark! I think actually a loose disc caused it now I come to think about it!

That would be great too, but I’m in S.wales!

cynic-al
    Free Member

Try rhe Madison website.

borgia
    Free Member

Done that, doesn’t appear to be a part that matches the hub number. There is a part called the m450 left hand cone & seal. But I don’t know whether a. it will fit the m475 hub, and b. if it includes the dust cover!

coatesy
    Free Member

If you can get them,the better sealed parts from an M525 hub will also fit your hub shell(probably need a scrap hub though).

borgia
    Free Member

Ok, will keep an eye out for them then. Can anyone clarify if the dust covers are considered part of the cone though?

coatesy
    Free Member

Afraid they’re considered part of the hub-shell(google shimano techdocs, searcg m475), and not available seperately. The good news is that your favourite Uncle Coatesy has one in his spares box from the M525 conversion mentioned above, e-mail me your adress and i’ll put it in the post for you.Old one’s best removed using a snug fitting socket and extension inside it, and gently wiggling it out(not hammering screwdrivers down the side), new one’s best pressed or tapped in using a large socket that sits on it’s outer edge.

firestarter
    Free Member

while you knowledgeable chaps are in the area is it possible to swap that kind of hub to bolt up. if so what bits do i need. thanks in advance

wwaswas

I think actually a loose disc caused it now I come to think about it!

Blimey! Is the OP another bikeradar refugee on half term?

cynic-al
    Free Member

Just taking the dust shield off and getting a deore-style cone rubber seal is probably the easiest solution – and a bit better.

FS – you need a long enough M10 axle and nuts, shimano do them.

coatesy
    Free Member

Probably not bolt-up, but a longer solid axle would take nuts to hold it in place(just like on those bikes at the bottom of the price range), get them from most bike shops, but be aware there are two different sizes/threads.

firestarter
    Free Member

cheers chaps , i meant a solid axle with nuts on the end for the ss

Keef
    Free Member

as coatsey said,there are two different threads,so you need the correct cones and lock nuts to suit.generally solid axels seem to have the imperial thread,and qr axles metric.this is not a constant though !
    (the threads both look the same,but are NOT interchangeable)

firestarter
    Free Member

cheers keith i’ll have a look down halfrauds. thanks

borgia
    Free Member

Blimey! Is the OP another bikeradar refugee on half term?

Ha. I will admit the damage caused is my own fault! Combination of not using threadlock and not tightening the rotor bolts enough. Learnt my lesson though!

Coatsey, that would be excellent! Very much appraciated! I will e-mail you now.

Thanks for the help everyone.

andyl
    Free Member

you can get these things to convert to solid axle: http://www.velosolo.co.uk/shophub.html

but I guess they don’t work with other hubs. Although I am not sure why – anyone enlighten me?

firestarter
    Free Member

They are for converting a front hub to use in the rear for better chainline one a fixie, I run one of the bolt on six bolt cogs on a 135 rear hub and it puts the chain line out on to the outer ring on a triple so not ideal but works

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)

The topic ‘Damaged rear hub. Fixable?’ is closed to new replies.