• This topic has 13 replies, 9 voices, and was last updated 9 years ago by JoeG.
Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Damage on a brand new carpet!
  • Onzadog
    Free Member

Had a carpet fitted today. Got home to find a loose thread, under the thread, you can see the backing weave has a cut in it.

I’ll call them in the morning and I’m sure I’ll get it sorted.

My question is, does anyone know the trade? Am I likely to be offered a new piece or a patch repair? If the offer a patch repair, should I accept it or insist on a new piece? (landing, less than 2 x 3 and two or three of the top steps).

nuke

Last carpet we bought (from Carpetright) was for a 4mx3m bedroom: was fitted but had a damaged thread, phoned manager, he came and had a look and they replaced the whole carpet

JoeG
    Free Member

I think that I’d want the landing carpet piece to be replaced. As a high wear area, I’d be concerned about a spot repair there.

I have hardwood floors, btw… 😉

kilo

Last we had was a complete replacement as well, mark in the middle of the carpet, they took it up with the manufacturers once they saw it was a manufactuing fault rather than an issue caused in their storage or fitting. Would a patch repair be invisible? We’ve had a joined carpet and the seam is visible.

monkeychild
    Free Member

United Carpets have replaced our carpet………………… Twice!!! We had the carpet fitted in 2012.
    Our living/dining area was too large for one roll so needed a join. I had them out 3 times due to the join separating.
    The 3rd time, the fitter said the join had been done incorrectly and the carpet had been cut too short.
    We got a new carpet fitted and the join went again!!!
    As it turns out the carpet we were sold was not suitable for heat seam sealing!! So we had another carpet fitted last Dec and fingers crossed that’s the end of that.

So you should get a new one!!

Onzadog
    Free Member

Cheers folks. At least I know what I’m shooting for when I call them tomorrow.

cfinnimore
    Free Member

I love coming on here. It’s like looking at what life is like in my future.

I’ll choose laminate!

Onzadog
    Free Member

You should have seen the laminate that was in here from the previous owners. That’s the reason we’ve just fitted carpet.

project
    Free Member

Loose thread, worked at a customers hhouse , she had carpet fitted that day, we planned door at base to clear carpet, childminder stayed in afternoon to look after small child, small child spotted loose thread, and thought it was a good idea to pull loose thread, which made a hugebald patch up and down carpet, result carpet ruined, and childminder sacked for sleeping in stead of child minding child, also a vacumn cleaner can hook a thread, if its got a rotary brush result anguished scream off vacumn and damaged carpet.

Onzadog
    Free Member

Given that it’s a piece of carpet that neither of us have ever walked on, I’m not inclined to believe it’s an unlucky pulled thread!

Also, we’re well aware not to have the beater bar engaged on the vacuum cleaner for a loop style carpet.

mattbee

Also, we’re well aware not to have the beater bar engaged on the vacuum cleaner for a loop style carpet.

Will probably be the most middle class ing I see written down until I check back on here at lunchtime!

trout
    Free Member

Loop pile
    sounds like the fitter has nicked it with his knife
    bodgeable if it was an old carpet you need it replacing for sure

and dont get a cat

Onzadog
    Free Member

Cheers all. Only took a couple of minutes. They came out, saw it was cut and said they’d order in a new piece. Nice and simple.

JoeG
    Free Member

Onzadog – Member

Cheers all. Only took a couple of minutes. They came out, saw it was cut and said they’d order in a new piece. Nice and simple.

Don’t be all smug till the new piece is installed successfully! 😡 Lots of things could still go wrong… 😉

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘Damage on a brand new carpet!’ is closed to new replies.