Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • Damage – I assume this is terminal
  • molesworth

I crashed heavily in May – the damage to me I thought was worse than to the bike (my shoulder is fecked and I’m having surgery on Friday). I had been riding my Scandal since without evident problem but I bought a nice new Soul in July – for reasons of ‘I need one’ rather than any suspected problem with the Scandal.

However, I was cleaning the frame with a view to selling it (I won’t now) and noticed this – given the characteristics of thin-walled Aluminium tubing I assume this dent constitutes an important structural weakness in the bike and it would be unwise to attempt to ride it.

What does the panel think?

uphillcursing
    Free Member

I would ride it. Buying would need a hefty reduction in price but if it were already mine……

rickon
    Free Member

Personally, I’d keep riding that. I’m sure there are loads with similar dents that have ridden without problem.

It’ll be worth asking Brant, or On-One, as they’ll know the properties of their tubing best.

mrelectric

Assuming the crazing/crackling is just the paint it looks all right for you to ride.

_tom_
    Free Member

Ride it until it breaks. If it does. I had a bigger dent than that in the tt of my bullit and it survived a lot of abuse and believe its still being ridden hard by its current owner.

matt_outandabout

My old Orange had two things like that on the downtube – rode it for 6 years like that…

grum
    Free Member

I’ve got much bigger dings/dents in my frame and been riding it for years. Admittedly they are in the bottom bracket area which I would guess has thicker walls.

bencooper
    Free Member

I’d ride it – it’s not crumpled, and it doesn’t look that deep.

molesworth

OK. Thanks

ieu99
    Free Member

Nice frame

hopefiendboy

Greybeard
    Free Member

Looks OK to ride but might depend where on the bike it is and whether it could cause the tube to buckle under heavy loading. Looks like the downtube? If so you’d get some warning as the downtube is mostly in tension, with a bit of sideways bending. Top tube I’d be more worried.

Fueled
    Free Member

My Scandal has the same kind of thing on the down tube from a rock strike, I’ve happily ridden it for a year since without having died.

trailmoggy
    Free Member

I’ve often wondered if the people that repair dents on cars would be able to fix something like this

What they do on cars is amazing

joolsburger
    Free Member

As it’s on the downtube I’d keep riding it, under tension there as has been said.

scousebri
    Free Member

Is the frame a 26″. if so i might have it off you for the right price.

bencooper
    Free Member

I’ve often wondered if the people that repair dents on cars would be able to fix something like this

That’s just filler – cosmetic, not structural.

Thrustyjust
    Free Member

Got much worse dents in my Scandal and still ride it . Been there for over a year and all is fine.

martinxyz
    Free Member

You could tack a wire into it car repair style but a slide hammer to pull it out before filling would be a bit excessive :O)

fizzicist
    Free Member

It’ll be fine – adds character.

mrplow
    Free Member

It looks close to something that may fail over time. My stump jumper took 5 years to finally start cracking from a dent which had corroded. My dent did look a little bit worse. I would ride it as long as it is in a visible place that you will subconsciously check from time to time. . :mrgreen:

argee

I had similar in an aluminium frame a few years back, i marked the frame at the points where the ding ended, i.e. marking where the ding ended, and then monitored this to make sure it didn’t grow. In the end the frame died from another crash.

TroutWrestler
    Free Member

I dinted my Inbred (steel, obvs.) on the first ride, and significantly worse than that. I fell off onto the only boulder in the field. It must have been magnetic…

Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)

The topic ‘Damage – I assume this is terminal’ is closed to new replies.