Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Dales bike centre – best rides??
  • Hotfly
    Free Member

A few of us have a long weekend planned at the Dales Bike Centre, Yorkshire… next weekend.
    Really looking forward to it, but it will be the first time I have ever cycled in Yorkshire!
    I’m used to riding trail centre reds and some blacks – what are your recommendations for two and a half days’ riding there?

boxelder

Ask at the Dales Bike Centre.

shaungero
    Free Member

@boxelder, really ? you must feel heaps better after saying that.

NorthCountryBoy
    Free Member

I would guess what box was trying to say is that Stu and the team at dales know the area so well that if turn up with a map gps etc they can give you top local advice.
    Certainly did when I was there with some friends a couple of years ago.

RustySpanner

Seriously, you’re paying for years of local knowledge, not just your room.

Stu knows every inch of the place, daft not to take advantage of his experience.

We ignored his advice once and ended up taking the bikes for a long, wet, walk.

We’re back in the area in November, it’s one of the best riding spots I know.

And the cake……
    🙂

slordy
    Free Member

Oh my god the cake at Dales Bike Centre & the whipped cream topped hot chocolate, need to sort a day out in the dales soon

Mackem

As above, have a chat buy a route map. Lovely breakfasts.

timbles
    Free Member

They have great waterproof route cards for £3.
    The route over to Gunnerside Gill is ace.

miketually
    Free Member

Stu will know where’s wet and boggy, and where’s dry, where’s riding well, etc.

I adjust my Swaledale routes depending upon wind direction/strength. If it’s very windy, use the BW by the river to move along the valley out of the wind, then aim for a wind assisted traverse along the tops.

Must do places: Great Pinseat, the descent from Fremington Edge through the old quarry, Schoolmaster Pasture.

boxelder

Haha, can see how my post might seem sarcastic, when was just a bit brief.

Hotfly
    Free Member

Thanks for the tips all – I will definitely be taking advantage of the advice from the centre – sounds like they’re switched on mountain bikers.
    I didn’t book this weekend but judging by your responses, we should be in for some excellent riding.
    Gunnerside Gill, Great Pinseat, Fremington Edge descent and Schoolmaster Pasture all on my list now.

muddy247
    Free Member

Been out from the dales centre today- great conditions for the time of year. As said above stu will advice you according to conditions and weather. The lead mines to surrender bridge and down Gunnerside Gill is a must though!
    Best to stock up on brownie and flapjack from the cafe- some challenging climbs on to moor tops.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Dales bike centre – best rides??’ is closed to new replies.