Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Dalby or Pines for a 10 / 11 yr old?
  • scott-b
    Free Member

Hi guys, been away from MTB for a few years and just go myself an orange clockwork on C2W scheme. Hoping to get my lad into biking, he didn’t take to the roadie as well as hoped.

He is 11 in 2 weeks and wondered what peoples thought are on the best place to take him for his first proper ride. Was thinking of sherwood pines blue / bit of red or blue route at Dalby. I’ll be hiring him a bike and both within an hour or so’s drive for me.

Any recommendations?

Ta

teddy
    Free Member

Both are good but I would recommend pines for a newcomer. Nice single track and flat compared to Dalby red so not technical at all. Short loop (8miles ish) with a couple of optional jump/downhill sections on the way round. Gets busy and the parking can become full so book early!

joemmo
    Free Member

I can’t comment on Sherwood but Dalby’s blue has some fun sections and he might also enjoy the bike park. It does depend on his ability though because the blue has some climbing and a few trail features to deal with… but there’s only one way to find out so you may as well give it a shot

fooman

Pines is flatter & more compact so you are never too far from an ice cream.

bramblesummer
    Free Member

Sherwood has less ascent so he might find it more manageable, plus the red loop is pretty easy (loads of kids make it around without any issue). It’s a nice venue too, and is usually less busy than Dalby.

solidrooster
    Free Member

I’d go with Sherwood pines not as much climbing as dalby. The new blue sections at dalby are great, think the last blue section is bordering on red though.

scott-b
    Free Member

Thanks guys, will head to Sherwood pines and see how he gets on.

spacehopper

How about lady cannings in sheffield?

The new blue steel trail is excellent fun for first timers.. And it’s.layout is great for doing multiple runs.. The ‘climb’ is pretty easy going..

You could then progress on to the.other slightly harder trail or even go for an explore on the moors..

Took,my daughter for a ride there last week in the weeride and she absolutely loved it.. She Giggled the whole way down!

gab344
    Free Member

Hi, just rode the blue at Dalby today with my 11 year old son, very pleasantly surprised to find 2 or 3 new sections been added recently.

Got big thumbs up from the lad, and after lunch he wanted a second lap.

A couple of tips we found worthwhile, the final berm finale can be ridden again, by turning left as soon as twisties finish (takes you up a access trail and comes out on the fireroad 15 yards below where the shared red/blue crosses), and lastly the skills loop at the end of the blue is worth a lap of two (It’s easy to miss, and ride by it)

Oh, and pines is a good ride for a young’un too 🙂

MoreCashThanDash

If he’s new, try him with the blue at Hicks Lodge.

Only 4.5 mile loop, but my two have loved it since they first went (aged 7-11). Sits in between the blue and red routes at Pines for difficulty, but far less mud, and a good morale boosting café as well.

ads678

My 9 year old lad has ridden the blue at dalby, the red at sherwood and lady cannings.

Dalby blue is really fun. He was knackered after sherwood red, but I think I pushed him a bit too much, but it was still good for him. Lady cannings was fun but the ride back up bored him a bit after a few times.

scott-b
    Free Member

He’s been watching old videos of the downhill stuff at Pines so thats the plan for the morning after McD’s breakfast. A proper boys day out.

scott-b
    Free Member

Well, the boy loved it. Only one mishap on the red route where his pedal hit a stump and he went over the bars but all good. Had a look at the dirt jumps and downhill as well.
    Thanks for the recommendations

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Dalby or Pines for a 10 / 11 yr old?’ is closed to new replies.